•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Feedback on Pentax PIF binos?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2003 - 09:23 PM

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate a pair of Pentax PIF series binoculars?

They come in a 7x50 (7.3 degree FOV) and a 10x50 (6.5 degree FOV) and are both waterproof to 5m, have military grade construction, and claim to have field flattener lenses (specs state the eyepiece configuration as 6 elements in 4 groups).

Given that they have field flatteners, is this likely to mean a good image to the edge?

Given that these cost around $450US how would they compare to others in this price range?

Frilby :winky:

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2003 - 09:29 PM

I saw a pair of 10x50 PIFs on eBay today for under $100...go look for them... These are supposed to be the industrial grade of the binos

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:28 PM

I have the Pentax 10x50 PIF. The field really is very flat with near pinpoint stars to the edge. The multicoatings appear to be top notch. The main thing I don't like about them is that the eye relief is about 14-15mm, not enough for comfortable use with glasses though probably OK without glasses. Also they are very heavy. They are very high quality but I wouldn't recommend them for everyone for the reasons above. I believe they are discontinued so if you want one, you'd better buy it while you still can.

For a 10x50 I would probably prefer a Fujinon FMT-SX which is supposed to have 20mm of eye relief and the same FOV as the Pentax. But I've never seen one. Anyone tried it?

#4 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:53 AM

Not only does the 10X50 FMT-SX 2 have better ER but it's also much lighter than the Pentax PIF. I corresponded with Markus Ludes from APM Telescopes, Germany, about the 10X50 SX-2 during the summer. He was selling them for $635.

According to the techie I corresponded with at Fujinon USA, the 10X50 SX 2 will not be marketed in the US. So that leaves the warranty in question.

The one review I've read on them was very favorable:
http://de.geocities....jinon10x50.html

Brock

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:29 PM

Greetings,
Boat-Us.com is clearing the 10x50's out on Ebay, 2 already sold for about 200.00

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics