•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laptop Brands

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#126 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

ION Netbook Shootout

Here's some reviews of ION based netbooks.

BTW, with respect to the Aero shell and intel graphics, I believe this all works reasonably well. (It didn't used to - about half the reason people thought Vista sucked could be laid at Intel's feet, a couple of years ago, their stuff really didn't cut it with the Aero shell.) The problem with intel graphics:
1. No HD video playback. The chip is too underpowered.
2. The shell is about all you can reasonably run on those things.
3. Their drivers (especially their openGL driver) are terrible. You will use openGL if you run almost any astronomy app that uses 3D.

Sorry to pump nvidia products so hard. However I feel the Intel graphics pretty well guarantee that your system will be a lackluster performer. There is a reason the federal government is looking into Intel's business practices with regards to their graphics chips.

#127 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

John,

That's a nicely spec'd laptop. I have to laugh at ASUS calling it a netbook as many of the specifications run contrary to what Intel and Microsoft specify for a netbook.

So like a traditional notebook/laptop this one has ...

dual core cpu - check
larger screen with good vertical resolution - check
full size keyboard - check
usable ram right out of the box - check
upgradable ram to a good level for future work - check
full Win7 package (not the starter edition) - check
full compliment of I/O - check
reasonable battery life - check

Ok so no CD/DVD player ... but there's the light weight, and all for around $500. So when does a netbook start to be a traditional notebook?

#128 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

As the owner of an Asus eeePC 1005HA, I'd have to say the model 1201 more closely resembles a laptop rather than a netbook. Although I like the larger screen, I'm not big on such a relatively short battery life.

#129 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Came across this one in my searching, and wanted to see what sort of opinions it generates: Toshiba Satellite A505-S6986 16" Widescreen Notebook

Battery life - which isn't listed unless you dig for it - is 2.25 hours, which seems a bit short to me. It otherwise appears to have what I'm looking for.

An after Christmas sale prompted me to go with this one in the end. So far, I am quite pleased with the decision.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics