•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apogee 25x100 Binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Apogee 25x100 Binoculars

#2 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

A very good review. I enjoyed reading but have some questions. You said that they "Arrived slightly out of alignment" What do you mean? Also how exactly did you collimate them? Please explain the procedure.

Thanks, Buddy

#3 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

By slightly out of alignment, I mean that the two sides weren't exactly aligned (horizontally and vertically both) to the same point an infinite distance away. If you can relax both eyes and look in the bino, you will see two slightly different images - whatever is in the center of the FOV of one barrel will be shifted a bit away from the center of the other barrel, meaning that the images don't merge correctly, so there is an alignment/collimation problem.

To correct this (I didn't collimate them, I conditionally aligned them), take note of the pictures about 1/2 way down through the review with red and blue lines - these screws adjust the conditional alignment. You have to loosen the holding screw (Phillips in this case), then adjust the set screw next to it by a very small amount. Note that there are three sets of these screws per side, and your guess is as good as mine as to which you must adjust to achieve conditional alignment.

There are threads in the binoculars forums describing all of this (collimation vs. conditional alignment, and the adjustment of these) in great detail.

Hope this helps.

#4 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

That helps, Thanks Buddy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics