•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

15" Obsession Dobsonian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

15" Obsession Dobsonian

#2 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Administrators

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

I have a 20" and I have to agree. It is a very nice scope, really excellent. But not perfect....
But I do love it!
I also agree with not publishing all the mirror specs. Other than the very best mirror, almost everyone else feels slightly cheated...and my mirror is totally diffraction limited....so intellectually it makes no sense.
Would I buy this again...YES
Thanks

#3 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

(review author)

The bottom line is that this is a very good scope. Not superlative, but very good. I am happy with mine, quibbles aside.

#4 wavelandscott

wavelandscott

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

I enjoyed reading your comments...I have a second hand Obsession and enjoy it greatly...I think you have described the correct balance in your descriptions.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

Eric:

Brilliant, and honest, review.

Thanks!

I also have a 15" Obsession and mine had a few more warts than yours, so I would characterize it as a Chevy rather than a Cadillac, but for the price and short wait time, it's a decent option.

Regards,

Jim

#6 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

There really is no excuse for offering you a piece of galvanized pipe that is too long to fit and then telling you to go get it cut somewhere. This is poor customer service, and speaks badly of the company. Sure it was cheap, but so it would be for Obsession to simply cut it correctly.
Obsession deserves a lot of credit for what they have done in terms of semi-affordable aperture. Their scopes are generally good . But if they spent an extra 30 minutes to an hour on each scope insuring things are "right", it would go long way.
I agree with WOBently. Publishing mirror specs these days is a bit of a joke. A true .89 Strehl mirror can be an excellent mirror, but few of those .95 mirrors probably measure up to that.

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Good review.

I had absolutely no issues with mine.Everything worked just perfect.
For me it is the perfect scope.

#8 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Great review Eric! I not only own a 20" but have had the opportunity to work on jrbarnett's 15" to help get it into working condition. Three common problems troubled our scopes out of the box.

1. The instructions should be upgraded from the original and the subsequent addendum attached to a booklet form that has been edited properly and put in order.

2. The uta clamp bolts all needed to be shortened to function properly before installation.

3. The glue holding the Kydex liner to the uta tube rings is failing. Mine is becoming a real problem and will need to be attended to soon.

None of these issues are serious, although the Kydex glue should not have failed so soon (scope is only 19 months old) if at all. Probably the last of the can and it was compromised.

As for the extra weight set, a set of how to instructions and a trip to the hardware store would have sufficed as the pipe in Jim's and mine was electrical conduit, the clamps were plumbing clamps and we provide the medium to fill them, all in all perhaps a total of $2 material. The end caps on mine didn't fit properly so I had to tape them on.

Over all if mine were a Chevy I would say it's a Corevette, if a Cadillac then a SRX.

For it's pimples, I am extremely happy with my Obsession and will continue to enjoy the night sky views it provides for years.

#9 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

I purchased a 15 inch classic exactly 1 year ago, and just as Freddy mentioned I had no problems with it. If I were to complain about anything it would be too much shiny chrome hardware in the mirror box.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics