•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A P Find of a Life time (aveman

• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#1 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter
  • Loc: I AM DONE

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:50 AM

I am going to move the conversation from the Ebay adds thread thingy over to its own space.
Didn't I say the other day the classic scope seemed to have went from a stream to a tickle ? What was I drunk!? Well the dam broke on my head today. I BINed the 4" brass Unitron off Ebay as I have always wanted a Unitron that old in good shape plus I wanted to go look at what wasn't listed and scored .
Every one should try to get a lens bigger than your face. The guy is a furnishes retailer and purchased all Unitron stuff from and estate auction in unopened boxes and crates for $1500 cash and his $500 Juice fee as he called it (to get in the place). As it was not furnishes and there all furnishes buyers no one bid on the scopes stuff but this guy, smart guy. I just had a feeling I should BIN on the 4 " brass uni and get down there and pick it up and look around . The way I got the first AP Scope cheap was I didn't know what it was, it looks terrible and the unitron guide scope Thru me. He had no offers on it and I said I would give him so much. He said OK. I loaded up my Yeares with boxes of junk and a Couple scopes and was leaving.
He stopped me and said he had another one kinda like the 6" but and 8" so I made him a site offer and he took it. It could have been a paper weight and was an unseen purchase for nothing, basically he just wanted it out of his garage as it was on his furisher in a 24" x 24" X 14' long packing crate!! Incredible luck!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3511728-IMG_1763CropOpt.jpg

#2 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

Any one know af any articals or web sites the mention 9" APs 230mm I cant find a thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3511741-IMG_1767Opt.jpg

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:18 AM

Man I am going to bed with my new sweety!! :question:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3511745-IMG_1769Opt.jpg

• leveye likes this

#4 javago

javago

Vostok 1

• Loc: Geldrop-Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

Congrats !!!....incredible find !! On the Company Seven website there is listed a AP 9" f14.3 S-APO triplet.I think this is a very rare telescope.

#5 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

Why not just contact AP themselves. You can call them or hop on their yahoo group.

If it is indeed AP I guarantee Roland would love to know where this lens is today and if it being used. He would love it more if it was still collecting and recording photons.

#6 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

Caveman you just won the Mega Millions of Amatuer telescope collecting, as a matter of fact you are now promoted to proffessional telescope collecting. That 9" has to be worth over $ %#*@&!() (i am not even going there) Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Awesome Incredible Unbelievable find! Congrats your kids college is paid for.

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

I would offer around 30k for it as long as the optics are good.

Chas

#8 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Caveman,

Congrats on the score. Its huge!!

I knew the 6" was AP from the focuser and lens images. The focuser is an old cast-aluminum AP w/old style 2.7 - 2" reducer. Once I saw that I looked carefully at the lens image and could see there were three elements. So I vascilated about bidding because I don't need another 6"AP (I have a 1988 Starfire)and I'm not a generally a dealer. But I mention it casually to my wife and tell her that nobody seems to know what it is, she says "go get it on the cheap". I go back to ebay instantly, and guess what isn't there anymore?!?! The moral is strike quick, don't wait

The 9" find is unbelievable. Does it have the same style focuser as the 6"?? That would date it to older than ~ 1990. After that Roland went to a machined aluminum focuser.

So where are all the mounts for these canons?? Not that they're worth would be that high, but you now need a heavy mount to put a 9" w/6" guide scope piggybacked!! That would be a unique configuration.

The Caveman must have been VERY good this year to score such a Christmas present.

Peter B.

#9 philjay

philjay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Derby

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Wow, now that is some find there Caveman, congratulations.
One big lens you have there bet you cant wait to 1st light it.

Phil

#10 woodsman

woodsman

Vanguard

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:43 AM

The telescope Gods are smiling down on you Clint. Truly amazing. You just found yourself enough telescope classic stuff there to keep this thread alive for the next decade! Congratulations on the find of the century. Progress reports on a weekly basis I would assume. :jump: :grin: :waytogo: :woohoo: :whee: :hamsterdance: :rockon: :jawdrop: :bow: (Ran outta gremlins)

#11 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Magnificent find! I owned an AP 9" F/15 in a folded OTA for many years. The find of a lifetime is right!!

Jim Phillips

#12 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

My gawd!!!

I can't believe those little teeny ads on ebay amounted to all this!! There were so many ads I thought it might be just another scammer.

Now, I can say I knew Clint when he was just another on of us! Now he's a rich dude! :D

-Tim.

#13 akman1955

akman1955

Skylab

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

:jump:Man caveman...like a kid in candy store...congrats on all the finds. i kinda thought it was a triplet by picture on bay. your 1950's unitron is exactly like mine and its heavy too.more pictures of all stuff please :jump: :bow:john

Attached Thumbnails

• 3511972-Picture 057.jpg

#14 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

:bigshock: :scared:

Amazing Clint! Congrats! :bow:

#15 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

Merry Christmas for Clint, and us too just to get to see the pictures! Can't wait to hear how the 2 AP scopes test and the 1954 brass 4" I wanted it but timing wasn't good for me money wise, the BUY IT NOW was just stareing me in the face but my wife's car is making an expensive sounding "ticking " sound.

I don't see any spacers on the AP lenses, oil spaced?

Robert

#16 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

congrats again clint,
and just think you did not even have to clean the dust off from that old ladies attic.
the find everyone here dreams of.
any idea what you want to mount it on?
also did you design your roll off big enough for a scope
like this. :bow:

#17 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Clint,

Wow, I am off the list for a few days and THIS is what happens... ;)

Well, that's a GREAT find... :bow: good that ended in you hands...!
I just wrote to Roland for another issue: if you wish I can ask him about that lens as well.
If you have more infos/photos you can send them to me by mail.

Merry Merry Xmas... or do you want more "Best Wishes" on top of that...?! :roflmao:

Max

PS/ Guys, saw that you had great fun on eBay... no spare parts available...?!
That piggy camera ring for the 3" is here around...?!

#18 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

• Loc: Long Beach, Calif.

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hey Clint,

I couldn`t sleep last night. You certainly are "The Hound"!!!! Can`t wait to look thru it and judging by your picture, it will easily fit in your dome.

Official CONGRATULATIONS,

Dan

#19 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Wake up Clint, wake up it's just a dream!!:shocked:Way to go Clint! You must be in a fog. I pray to God your observatory will be big enough but I have my doubts. If it were me I'd turn it into a giant storage area added to my new observatory or a cluster like Scott H. has. Again great timing. :thewave: :thewave:Mike

#20 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Clint!!!
I cannot wait until you eventually get that baby mounted! I along with everyone here really wanna hear what the views are like!

An awesome congratulations to you sir!

#21 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

I suspect you've got a version of Roland's "super planetary" design that was featured in an article in Sky & Telescope, using a short flint. See Sky & Tel for October, 1981, and a correction to the design in April, 1982.

Clear skies, Alan

#22 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:11 PM

Clint sorry to rain on your parade but what is going to push that baby??? :poke: Maybe we can take a collection and buy Clint a observatory. I'll give $500 :lol: All joking aside did the guy have the mount for it?

Awesome Awesome find Clint CONGRATS AGAIN!

#23 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Clint,

You are a really good guy inside and out, helping others, cheerfully lifting the spirit of many. Therefore, what goes around comes around - I'm a real believer of that ! This one is amazing as I didn't even know AP made a 9 incher.

The next find will be a suitable mount - we are all praying for you to find one in equally good way !

#24 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

An AP 1200 will hold it just fine. I've seen an AP 1200 with Both a TMB 10" F/9 and a TEC 200 F/8 on it!

best,

JimP

#25 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

• Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

WOW!........WOW !!!! Congrats--It is wonderful -- great--- when one of the good guys finds the mother lode.

Da Bear

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics