•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A P Find of a Life time (aveman

• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#51 Fred Ley

Fred Ley

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lancaster,CA(Athens,GR)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:01 AM

Wonderful!
It always feels great to come across a find like this. Especially when we can see the item that one has bought in photographs. There most certainly is a lot of older instruments lurking out there somewhere and they come to surface from time to time. I wonder who will be the next lucky winner of getting their hands on something interesting? Enjoy it and let us know how it performs.

-Fred

#52 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Brian, wow, hit #33 on google for Clint and his new acquisition with "find of a lifetime"

#53 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

"the find of a life time"
i went back and checked last night and this came in at #4
must be what my brother typed.
Brian

#54 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter
  • Loc: I AM DONE

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hi Fred,
Good to see you on here, We need guys like you to keep us on the right couse! I will of course keep the group updated with photos as I move forward with the project.

#55 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

Well a 4" AP focuser is in the mail. Yes with a dog gone feather touch! Ouch!! This will help with the balance issues. I have been looking at the existing tail pieces and have pretty much decided to make a complete new one. double ouch!! The existing one is a bit on the primitive side and Roland told me they used Jeagers focusers back in the day. Also there are tail tail signs that the tube end is a bit out of square. This will need to be fixed at the tube. So I have to buy a 10.5" X 12" chunk of Aluminum bar stock. I wonder if I can get that at OSH? LOL. Lucky for me I drive around LA alot. It is an easy thing to make if you have a $20000 lathe you can play with for a day or two. :roflmao:

Clint

#56 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:51 AM

I have had the 6" out and considering the coatings are shot the lens really provides a very nice view with no colr and a perfect star test. Here it is looking like an AP with out the Unitron hoseclapmed and rusted on. :foreheadslap: Gosh!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3517184-6 F10 1985 1st Mount.jpg

#57 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

Roland used regular 1/8" cork as padding around the objective. one layer around the entire lens. Over time this cork has dryed out and on this one it had turned to dust in one spot. Roland explained that I should just get standard cork and re wrap the cell with it.
Also you can see why I couldnt read Rolandos Cursive backwards and squshed

1985 F10 6" AP

Attached Thumbnails

• 3517188-IMG_1750opt.jpg

#58 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

As this cork pads the glass from the lens cell I guess it was lucky no one droped this scope!! After cleaning and installing new padding the lens looks ok but the coatings are shot. Roland told me to find a local ATMer and build a pitch lap for the #1 surface and polish off the coatings. He said this would cause a 4% loss in light transmission. I would assume it will increase its contrast and make it look a bit better.
Well here was my first idea of what I had purchased. My jaw droped on my work bench to think an AP would be abused like this just never ocurred to me until I saw this. :foreheadslap: :question: :p :jump:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3517200-6 F10 1985 Signed.jpg

#59 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:24 AM

The mathmatics to figure out the focal length of this lens took me hours. And I am guessing the indexing of a triplet is a bit more complex than with our beloved air spaced doublets. If you look around the edges there are +1.3, +7 -1 and so on Its all greek to me!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3517211-6 F10 1985 LensEdgeF10.jpg

#60 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

Daddy! Not more tubes #$%#!!! Your always messing with those stupid tubes!!
Alberio STAR Whitman The wonder dog helping me with tubes!!

I have a lot to post!!! :bawling: :tonofbricks: I took notes while on the phone for 20 minutes with Roland. he was very nice and full of information that I wrote down.
Clint

Attached Thumbnails

• 3517221-Star Helping Clean er up.jpg

#61 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:32 AM

Clint,

I'm shocked Roland would suuggest polishing off the coatings! Any mis-step may affect the lens figure as well. Maybe I'm off here, but I'd suggest that if you go this route to ask Barry Greiner at D&G to do the work. At the very least he can do a before and after test on his interferometer.

Is there any downside to leaving the coatings on?? Is it merely a cosmetic thing when looking at light reflected from its remnants??

Peter B.

#62 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Clint:

I'm sure you have your favorite scrap metal shop in mind, but if you don't, I've found all kinds of treasure at Industrial Pipe and Steel (IPS) in El Monte. They just emptied a bunch of their scrap bins, so they're "short" of scrap at the moment, but still have 4 or 5 bins full of aluminum. And I bet there was a bunch in the size range you're looking for.

-Tim.

#63 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

I Am going ahead with an entire new tailpiece in 1984 Rolands head was into lenses but the tail piece he made for this falls short of the new focusers design. So I need a 10.5 X 6" Chunk of 60-61 T6 aluminum 55 pounds and will design and machine a nice one for Rolands tube. I will save the original in a box.
I just spent 7 hours installing new cork padding on the 9" and cleaning up the 6" OTA it was a mess. Came out nice!! As far as the Padding on the 9" AP Roland walked me thur it and gave me the cork type to get. It is really awsome working on this lens I would guess its weight out of the cell at 30 pounds of glass. I am finding it fun to work with and have been exact with every movment. Makes you think a little more as your handeling the thing!! Note in the photo the old corks condition.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3519251-9 RePadding 1.jpg

#64 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

Working on it reminds me of working with John on his 10" Zeiss. The cork rings are pads, Padding is what RC Called it. The exisiting was falling out and dry as a bone due to the weight of the lens it became very thin and scarry, dont want the lens bouncing around on the cell. So Out she came.
I had to be really carfull at this point as the one gallon coin jar with 12 Puffs taped to the top has almost $100 in change in it and I didnt want to spill it. :tonofbricks:

This is how John taught me to push a lens from a cell, Usualy I use a pill bottle or somthing a bit smaller.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3519260-9 RePadding 2.jpg

#65 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

This is a 9.5" oil spaced triplet. The spacing and indexing of the lens is somthing I would love to watch them do. Roland told me this is a one of a kind lens. The only one he ever made. It is in very good shape and will now stay that way. I reused the original padding from the sides and they were OK and cut new cork rings for the top and bottom. I have reinstalled the cell, The process was easy and went with out a hitch. I have like 50 photos of the process and will post the good ones tomarrow.
All done with the re-padding job. I was glad when the lens layed right back in its cell with new soft pads to live on for another 25 years. :jump: this was a good job to do when your all alone out in the shop...

Attached Thumbnails

• 3519273-9 RePadding 3.jpg

#66 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

OK I stayed up all night We will see you great folks minano!! Clint&Debbie Yes she is more excited than me!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3519304-9 RePaddingC&D.jpg

#67 woodsman

woodsman

Vanguard

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Great read so far, its looking stellar. 30 pounds of glass, Wow! Are you shaking when handling it? I'm glad you're doing it and not me, it makes me nervous just looking at that chunk! Thanks for posting the photos, and Merry Christmas Clint.

#68 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Clint - looks great, wonderful job! Looking forward to the additional pictures of the process.

And I see you have a few model airplanes in the background - fellow R/C flyer too?!? :question:

#69 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Looking super Clint.

Did Roland offer-up who he originally made these scopes for?? I'm curious if its anyone this community knows?!?!

Peter B.

#70 akman1955

akman1955

Skylab

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

:)Hey clint, great thread and finds. Is that the unitron brass 4" that star is looking at? We need too talk about this and more pictures please :jump: Also You and Deb have a merry chrismas and Happy New Year to! i know where i'am at I will have a white chrismas. :lol: all the best, john :snowedin: :coldday:

#71 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: Light Pollution Capital, USA

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

Clint,

I've been following this thread with great excitement. I expect you'll have both big lenses up at Pinos this coming summer. Look forward to looking thru them, especially the 9 incher.

You and Debbie have a great Christmas. You've already got all your new presents!

Lew & Carla

#72 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

Peter,
I am perparing a photo CD to send RC, he said he will look it up for me and I am hoping he will send back a letter with the specifics he can find in his paper work,

John,
I have found another wonderfull scope in the Brass Unitron, It has truely taken a back seat to the AP but I will be posting it in its own tread. I have the original owners manual for it!! 1954 Unitron 3 & 4 inch EQ owners manual. Wait till Robert sees it!!

Dave, post your name, it is hard to find. LOL Yes we fly all kinds even hyave a 33% Edge!!

(aveman

#73 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

I just got in and saw this thread. My God, what an amazing find. One of a kind? Too much man, too much. You can stop looking after finding this one :lol:. Congradulations Caveman.

Everyone enjoy your holiday.

#74 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

If such Wonder Glass was ever to be made new again, it seems to have found the right man to do the job.

#75 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

A couple folks have the 6" I found and the 9" confused. Because I purchased them at the same time the posts and the work I am doing are kind of mixed together. THE 9" Is In GREAT SHAPE....

The 6" F10 AP telescope was abused. Its lens has coating issues, they are degradated to a point that while the lens has a perfect star test and no color as you might expect. The coating problem is causing a Hazy Spike when you look at a bright objects. I am reading up on this. Roland said I could get someone to build a pitch lap and polish off the coatings. Other stuff I have read says it could ruin the figure of the glass?? I will talk to more folks about this.

The 9" Has not seen star light in many years, It has been sitting in its shipping box. This lens on the other hand is in very good shape. the glass was not even dirty. There are one or two small sleeks, one looks to be on the #3 surface, That means RC did that one, as the sealed oil spacing tape has Rolands hand writing on it. I am very observant and am looking for these with a bright light if you just look you cant see a mark on it. Considering its age 25 years I would give it a 9 out of 10 as far as the condition.

Merry Holidays Fellow Collecting friends. I hope you top this one in the new year!! I guess I set the bar to high for even me to jump over.. Maybe one of you guys will find a 6" Clark at a local rummage sale.
Another photo from last night.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3520773-9 RePaddingSigned.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics