•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which 11" SCT, ASGT, Nexstar, Or CGE ????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#26 DaveMess

DaveMess

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:58 AM

After more than a week using my C11S-GT, even with using the OPTIONAL Polal alignment scope, my 19 year old SPC-8 on it's GEM always tracked better than my new scope. The new Celestron would keep Saturn in a 10mm EP for only a couple of minutes. I found that unacceptable, and, along with a host of other small problems, decided to return it. The Meade, with it's permanent PEC and Smart drive, seems to offer more technology for the astro-imager. I hope the optics are as good! My only choice is whether to get the 10' or 12"!

#27 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Dave:

Must have been some problem with your stuff. My CG-5 tracked Uranus the second time I used the scope for 12 minutes before I switched to another target. It tracked Jupiter that last time I used it for at least 10 minutes, and even without a perfect alignment, Jupiter was still in the FOV.

Too bad about your C-11.

#28 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

The Meade, with it's permanent PEC and Smart drive, seems to offer more technology for the astro-imager. I hope the optics are as good! My only choice is whether to get the 10' or 12"!

There's no doubt that the higher-end Meade can deliver better mount performance, though if you wanted to you could stick with Celestron and choose their comparable unit for a similar improvement.

The 10" Meade or the 11" Celestron forkmounts are great field setups; the 12" Meade is a very different kettle of fish. It's only 20 pounds heavier but much more awkward.

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:12 AM

Mine tracked saturn at f/10 with a dsi(small chip)un-assisted for over 1/2 hour.The image wandered around the screen a little but didnt drift off.
If the clutches arent tight or the 2 left right mount adjusting screws arent semi tight it will go where it wants.
Also I dont go for perfect balance,I set a little heavy on the counter weight end and a little heavy on the main mirror end.That keeps the play out of the gears.

Im very happy with my C11!

Bill

#30 nreid

nreid

Apollo

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

I just sold my c9.25 sgt and moved up to a nexstar GPS 11. I haven't had the 11 out yet but it is a beast. Looks great and is very solid. Nothing wrong with the sgt, I just sold all my scopes and wanted more aperature. I always had good success with the tracking and the goto. One night I wanted to look at jupiter in the mid-morning. So I selected it even though I couldn't see it above the next door house. Went to bed before I even saw it and the next morning there it was in the field of view. Tracked it for several hours. Not bad for a cheap goto in today's market.

#31 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

I have sold all my scopes and I am ready to make my first scope purchase over $2000 I have around $3000 to spend and don't mind spending more. I have had a 8" celestron newt on a asgt cg5 mount and a meade ar-5. I am ready to buy a bigger scope. I am in good health and can handle a large scope. My interest are high in planets and secondary to DSO's. For some reason the c11-s Ota is catching my eye as a good comprimise scope. I am kind of confused as to with mount to go with. The cg5 ASgt is decent and gives you the ability to mount other OTA's on it. The nexstar is probally a more sturdy and precise mount, but you loose the ability to mount another OTA. The CGE is very expensive, is it worth it over these other two options? Or would a 9.25 Celestron a better choice on planets? For some reason the Celestron website says the 9.25 is better on planets? Why?

Man why is so hard to make a new scope purchase?

Visual: CPC or Nexstar (if still available)
Photographic: CGE
Size: 9.25" or 11" depending on your budget.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

I was very unhappy with my C11 AS-GT and returned it. I might go with the Nexstar or will probably by a Meade because of it's better accuracy in pointing and tracking. Good luck on your new purchase!

Once I figured out tracking modes (finally read the manual) :smirk: , I was ok. Mine tracks dead-on for hours.

The NS11GPS is a great visual scope.

- Roger :cool:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics