•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 5 ......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2400 replies to this topic

#51 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'll pick up an issue. Which is current? Feb? March?

#52 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

February.

#53 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

HaPpY BiRtHdAy Rob!!!!!

:jump: :rainbow: :yay: :thewave:
:band: :woot: :flexible: :woohoo:
:banjodance:
:shakecane:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3577716-2169655-Cake.gif

#54 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

In case you missed it, I just posted a new thread on the G/dale S.P. :FarmerRon:

#55 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Just got back from outside, there was a small break in the clouds, got to take a quick peek at Orion and Mars with my new telescope. Loving the new <20 lb TeleVue setup, set it up for 10 minutes and came back inside, something I never could have done with my old CGEM setup.
Too bad with all the moisture in the air Mars looked like a red blob.

I think the TV85 on an alt-az mount is THE perfect setup! Glad you are enjoying it...tonight is gorgeous in Portland...might have to get the scope out and take a peek.

#56 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thanks Tom L and Mike. Dad went home today! :)

Good news, Bill!

Mike, I hope they figure out what's going on with your dad.

#57 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

In case you missed it, I just posted a new thread on the G/dale S.P. :FarmerRon:

Sorry I won't be able to make it. You guys have fun!

#58 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

Sorry I won't be able to make it.

Lightweight! :poke:

:D

#59 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

We're sorry too, Tom, but after arrival I think we'll get over the pain. :smirk:

I got out for a wee bit last night, about 11:30 - 12:30. Punk & I sat there, looking randomly southward for double stars. Man, with the 41 Pan that 80 mm delivers a wide FOV! I talked to my live-in carpenter and cabinet maker, SweetAnne, about cobbling together some blocks to raise the tripod about 6". When I put my chair on the lowest rung I can still only look up about 60* before doing ridiculous contortions to get my eye down the EP.

I peaked at Mars, but no detail at all. Pretty sizable disk, though. I briefly considered wheeling Sugaree out to see what I could of Mars, but didn't. I'll just have to pretend.

#60 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

Sorry I won't be able to make it. You guys have fun!

Sorry you can't make it Tom, we will miss you there. There's always next time.

#61 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

That's me in the lower left corner! My 15 minutes of fame has come and gone.

Brad

I have the current issue..February.2010 and there is nothing about BradleyB on page 16. :question:

Rob

#62 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Thanks....if I only could be paid for every year...oh...say...a $1000...I'be be happy.

Rob

#63 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

Astronomy for Feb 2010? I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble, maybe subscribers get a different issue? It's in Stephen J O'Meara's feature "Secret Sky" and it's about shadow bands. The blurb about me is more about my grandfather who helped invent the searchlight while at Sperry Gyroscope Co. and noticed shadow bands in it's light and wrote a little article about it in Popular Astronomy in 1924. Not too many others have noticed it either considering that my email is in there and I've received all of two emails, one from a crank and one where the person had thought he'd discovered something new about optical diffraction through slits, not even two slits.

Brad

#64 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Astronomy for Feb 2010? I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble, maybe subscribers get a different issue? It's in Stephen J O'Meara's feature "Secret Sky" and it's about shadow bands. The blurb about me is more about my grandfather who helped invent the searchlight while at Sperry Gyroscope Co. and noticed shadow bands in it's light and wrote a little article about it in Popular Astronomy in 1924. Not too many others have noticed it either considering that my email is in there and I've received all of two emails, one from a crank and one where the person had thought he'd discovered something new about optical diffraction through slits, not even two slits.

Brad

Wait...you mean *Astronomy* mag..not S&T...right?

That answers it then. It looked like the boys were talking about S&T.

Sorry bro.

Rob

#65 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

It has come to my attention . . . :blah: HEY! would you guys shut up over there for a minute already? Thanks, I'll just take a second here. It has come to my attention that Tom L'Peg's birthday sorta slipped under our radar screen a couple of days ago, so

Happy Birthday, Tom! :gramps:

#66 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

It has come to my attention . . . :blah: HEY! would you guys shut up over there for a minute already? Thanks, I'll just take a second here. It has come to my attention that Tom L'Peg's birthday sorta slipped under our radar screen a couple of days ago, so

Dear Lord....We're so pathetic...... :foreheadslap:

Sorry Peg....We luv you bro and are so very sorry we failed to recognize your hallowed birthday...because we were distracted with our selfish mush.

Belated Happy B-Day.....I'm assuming you're Still 25.... :bow:

Rob :grin:

#67 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, guys. I had a great day. :D

#68 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

You mean Tom L or Tom A (Peg)? Well, Happy Birthday to both just in case - and to Rob too :jump:

#69 RS67Man

RS67Man

Tinker King

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Having a bit of a unpleasant experience this weekend. I have a problem with animals getting under my home and causing damage, etc. It has been going on for several years, including a litter of kittens born under the house the summer of 2008. (side note, we found homes for them, we even kept one) I am now trying to "fix" the problem, but just making it so animals cannot get under the home is not working. Cats are easy to keep out, but I had a family of possums under there. They just keep digging under the skirting. So I had to resort to using a humane trap. I first caught 3 cats, and after briefly scaring them (I did not hurt them!) I let them go with hopes they do not come back. Then I proceeded to catch FOUR possums, and counting. I had contacted Pierce County SPCA/animal control, and they said to contact Washington State department of fish and game. I was told by F&G to "dispatch" any possums I catch. Possum is considered a invasive species, not native to the northwest. I hate doing this, it makes me feel like #@*&%, but I feel like I have no other choice. :bawling:

#70 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

It's sad but probably the best thing to do. If the possum population gets too high then the next thing you know you'll have coyotes to deal with, too. :p

#71 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Sorry, Walt, that's a major pain. But I echo what Tom said. We lost a cat to a coyote.

#72 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Although I live in the city we can hear coyotes at night from the nearby Magnuson Park (formerly Sand Point Naval base).

When we had the cougar visit our doorstep last May in the Icicle we finally broke down and got a dog. Not that a dog would win that fight but at least the cat may stay away due to the presence of the dog. If not, worst case scenario would be that the cat would pursue the dog instead of one of the kids.

Do you have a dog Walt?

#73 RS67Man

RS67Man

Tinker King

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

My mother in law who is staying with us has a pug. Not much help with any wildlife around here, but he does make for a great alarm system. :)

I hope to have a dog in the near future, been a cat person for way too long...........

#74 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

NO POSTS IN A WEEK!!!!

Must be cloudy around here. :cloudy:

#75 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

NO POSTS IN A WEEK!!!!

Must be cloudy around here. :cloudy:

Cloudy in many ways..... :smirk:

Rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics