•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Confusion with field of view differences?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:57 PM

I took a quick peep there Ed.

Yes Barry is a VERY well informed and highly respected commentator on binoculars , as illustrated (if memory serves me correctly )by at least one excellent article that can be found in the CN reviews ( sorry haven't re-checked at this moment )

With that in mind I am especially relieved that what he has to say appears to differ little from my own opinion on this matter , although I've never seen the Celestrons he refers to so cannot I cannot personally use those as any sort of yardstick.

The bottom line is that if someone as knowledgeable as Barry picked this model as his only bino for a cross-continental trip , there must be something VERT desireable about it indeed.

Can you go wrong then ? -- probably not providing you are one of the fortunate people who does NOT have to wear glasses for binocular viewing.

If you DO -- perhaps even at this late ( hopefully !) stage then a model with longer eye -relief ( dare I suggest the PENTAX ? ! ! ) -- COULD be YOUR prefered choice.

Frilby ,you are certainly doing the right thing trying as many sources as possible to gain as many different opinions as you can.

As a result you truly deserve success in finding what you want --or what might suit your needs best.

I suspect you're getting close to taking a chance !

Clear skies -- Kenny

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:48 PM

Kenny,

Once again my sincere thanks for your detailed and helpful response (and to everyone who has contributed to my dilemma). You have been most kind and patient with my continued (and no doubt repetative) prodding for answers and feedback... :bow:

I originally started out seeking a flat FOV... I hated the fuzzy edges that I found on the few binoculars I had a chance to view on the night sky. BUT... this was before I really understood binoculars (I hasten to add that I am far from an expert, but after many, many, many, many... many weeks of research I feel at least a lot better informed, and understand what I am dealing with).

You are right, the bottom line in general terms is that, you get what you pay for, everything is a compromise, and that optical performance is only part of the puzzle that makes up a good pair of binoculars. Style, ergonomics, ease of use, weight, and asthetics are also factors that contribute to the decision making process to various degrees depending on your personal preferences.

Given your feedback, and that of many others, and given that apart from the crisp image quality of the Pentax I was not happy with the narrow AFOV, I suspect I may find the significantly wider AFOV of the Swift 8.5x44's much more appealing for the purpose I have for these binoculars (general sky gazing and orientation, etc) and that even though the edge of field performance may be poor, the size of the good quality FOV between the Pentax and the Swift, in reality are very similar (if not slightly wider in the Swift?).

Also Kenny, don't stress over guiding me in the right or wrong direction as I am whole heartedly aware that your feedback is subjective (but still greatly appreciated) and at the end of the day it is my decision - good or bad (although I am aiming for the fantastic kind of "wow" factor!).

I'm at the point where I am sourcing the best way of ordering the Swift 8.5x44 from Australia (still trying to work out who best to order one through, shipping costs, etc).

I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask in this forum (so please ignore it if isn't), but does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on where to buy the swifts? Ideally from someone who understands binoculars and would be willing to "test/check" them prior to shipping to save me the pain (and cost) of returning them if they are poorly collimated, faulty, etc?

Anyway... wish me luck and once again the biggest thankyou to everyone for their willingness to help :applause:

Frilby :winky:

#28 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:39 AM

Re the Swift kestrel 10x50.s, as one who has to wear glasses while using binos, how is the eye relief?
jay

#29 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:02 PM

Wearing glasses, eye-relief is very marginal with the Swift Audubon Kestrel 10 x 50s.

Rubber eyecups need to folded back over the eyepieces to get the FULL 7 degree TFOV -- which I don't particularly like having to do because I happen to think that WINGED rubber eyecups are amongst the most underated feature available for celestial bino viewing in a light -polluted scenario ( not that mine have WINGED cups )

Folding the eyecups back presents no problem whatsoever for me for my prime use - daylight terrestrial -- but bothers me so much if street -lighting etc is an issue that I sometimes prefer to leave them out and view with or without glasses.

This may not be an option for some people who REALLY MUST wear glasses.

It is nothing like as serious a problem as I have with the 15 x 70 Little Giants -- 8mm eye -relief is very tough to live with.

Clear Skies -- Kenny.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics