•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I looking for...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

hello,

I looking for a ETX 90 or ETX 105 model,and I search any opinion on they, overall quality...Thanks, your opinions are welcome.

Best regards, PAul

#2 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

Get the 105 if you can. The extra inch of aperture is worth it. I have an ETX 90 and its optical quality is quite good. I have used it for several years now. But with its narrow FOV, I have, in recent years, wishing it had a bit more aperture.

David M.

#3 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:56 AM

Get the 105 if you can. The extra inch of aperture is worth it. I have an ETX 90 and its optical quality is quite good. I have used it for several years now. But with its narrow FOV, I have, in recent years, wishing it had a bit more aperture.

David M.

Getting the larger 105mm will not give more FOV. This parameter is a function of the telescope design, and a maksutov is a narrow FOV design. If you want a wider field, consider getting a 80mm or 100mm short focus refractor (f/5 to f/7 range).

Ciao...Barry

#4 barieb

barieb

Sputnik

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

I have the ETX 125 and my son has the ETX 90RA. While I love the optics of the ETX 125 (also the ETX 90 optics are great), the mechanics of both scopes aren't very good. I had to send mine back to fix the DEC motor and the AUTOSTAR can be a big pain, I rarely use it anymore. Another option would be to look at the Orion MAKS, they usually have several in their clearance section. You can typically get an Orion 127 MAK for alomost the same price of the ETX 90. Unless you want the GO-TO, I would recommend the Orions.

#5 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

Granted the ETX is good concept, but the packaging is not up to par. If you really want superior packaging and great optics, get a Questar.....

http://www.barrie-tao.com/faq.html

Ciao...Barry

#6 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

a questar? that's a heck of a step up in price over an etx... i guess we should ask paul what his budget is. if it's not in the "several thousands", a questar is out of the question...

#7 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

David M.

Getting the larger 105mm will not give more FOV. This parameter is a function of the telescope design, and a maksutov is a narrow FOV design. If you want a wider field, consider getting a 80mm or 100mm short focus refractor (f/5 to f/7 range).

Ciao...Barry

Barry,

You are right, of course, that the FOV won't be affected by the aperture. What I was trying to say (poorly) was that given the field of view, I wish I had a bit more aperture so I could see more field stars, making the field richer, not necessarily wider. That is why I prefer the 104 (or 125, but then it is much bigger physically) over the 90. But neither of those scopes was available when I purchased the 90.

Insofar as FOV is concerned, I actually have two short tube 80's, an f/5 Celestron and a WO Zenithstar 80 (f/6). Ironically, I bought the 80 f/5 long before the ETX90. I will say that the great thing about the ETX, especially given its field of view, is the simple clock drive (I have the old RA model).

My scope of choice for portable small aperture these days, though, is the ZS 80.

David

#8 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

I like me the Questar model but my small pocket only permit me others small scopes, especially I like me double star observations....may be ETX 90 (or 105)?

Thanks all,

Best rergards, Paul

#9 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

Double stars aren't hard to find using star charts or software (not as hard as Mag 10 NGC objects for example). Meade cheaper GOTO scopes are "ok" on the GOTO scale, and cost alot IMHO. Their optics are OK tho.

I would recommend an Orion Mak instead. You can get 5" for roughly same price as 3.5" Meade. No GOTO, but you can add motors if you want later on (if you opt for EQ mount). Again double stars are very fun, narrow FOV won't bother you too much there, and more apeture will allow you to expand to DSO's or planets/clusters easier than 3.5" scope. Also the 5" will have better retail value later on if you resell over the ETX 3.5" which is kinda flooding the market now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics