•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Non-astronomy" equipment adapted for astronomy?

• Please log in to reply
1213 replies to this topic

#1201 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

Yes...That is Clyde. 

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

This may be my favorite.  Before you laugh, I think that is Clyde Tombaugh, the guy who discovered Pluto at Lowell.

attachicon.giftom0-013v.jpg

#1202 rexowner

rexowner

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

Tortilla warmer makes a nice bin on top of the spreader.

attachicon.gifIMG_2063sm.jpg

Plus, there's always something good to eat in case one gets a late-night craving.

• markb, Traveler and LU1AR like this

#1203 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:51 PM

Dollar store lined shower caps for objective covers.

35mm film canisters both hold small bits and fill 1.25" diagonal holes.

3D printer for everything else.

shower cap covers for newtonians, RC's are ok, but they provide no physical protection for refractors, SCTs, Maks.

Edited by RichA, 20 March 2021 - 11:58 PM.

• LU1AR likes this

#1204 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Yes...That is Clyde. 

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a square OTA before.

#1205 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

Re CT's dob, the square tube makes sense, but that powered 'dolly' looks like it would add alot of vibration.

More on topic, I was able to avoid the shower cap solution by using made-for-photo-lenses neoprene soft, cylindrical caps.

I was able to buy one for my 7" OD Jaegers refractor IIRC, and most small refractor sizes are covered, no pun intended. Because photo lenses very and diameter so much, some oddball diameters are available.

Another photo item that I bought for my kind of large 70-200 F 2.8 zoom could solve many refractor mounting problems at a low cost.

DSLR Kit makes tripod mounting rings to fit most larger zoom lenses, with diameters well within refractor ranges. The one I got for my lens was very well made and inexpensive ($25-30 IIRC), and two, with dovetail, could be easily adapted to a refractor tube (what I would call a small refractor tube, 60-80mm, but I sold everything smaller than my 5 and 6 in Jaegers so my perspective is skewed).

A visual use 60 might be fine with just one.

It's a little bit of work to get the IDs out of the ebay listings or Amazon listings, but rings are just so hard to find and expensive, it might be worth a try.

#1206 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:57 PM

I found some insulated pouches from the local American Science And Surplus. They are sized right to accommodate 1.25” eyepieces. They are a bit too deep so I added some left over foam blocks to raise the eyepieces so they are easy to pullout. Installing hook and eye velcro to the tripod legs and pouches allows me to attach the eyepiece-pouch to the tripod leg. The eyepiece-pouches have draw strings to secure the eyepieces if needed.

A846A80C-8E88-48E7-8E6A-A0578E7E3328.jpeg

D6D08275-F15B-4513-A78B-03D76AB47ED3.jpeg

12EC087C-3FA7-4329-B456-F99EE4B323A4.jpeg

• Carol L, markb, Traveler and 7 others like this

#1207 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

Good idea!  I try to keep my EPs organized in a foam-lined case, but I still put them in the "wrong" place in the dark sometimes.  Something like this might take care of that problem.

#1208 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:30 AM

Good idea!  I try to keep my EPs organized in a foam-lined case, but I still put them in the "wrong" place in the dark sometimes.  Something like this might take care of that problem.

Yes, I keep all my eyepieces in a foam lined case as well but in the field you have to keep your eyepieces some other way. We are not going to drag out our entire eyepiece collection for one night of observation. So I am experimenting with keeping three of them on the tripod legs for easy access and switching.

• jcj380 likes this

#1209 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

Yes, I keep all my eyepieces in a foam lined case as well but in the field you have to keep your eyepieces some other way. We are not going to drag out our entire eyepiece collection for one night of observation. So I am experimenting with keeping three of them on the tripod legs for easy access and switching.

Looks great, too!

#1210 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

I have a fishing vest, but the pockets aren't all the same size and it gets too warm to wear IMO unless the temp is quite low.

#1211 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:02 AM

Here’s a look at the mods I did to my surveyor tripod to convert it to a scope tripod. 

The spreader is made from 1/2”x 2” (7/16”x1-1/2” nominal) poplar and six 3” steel gate hinges. The center hub trapezoid is an 4-1/2” equilateral triangle with the points cut off so that each side is about 3-/34” to fit the gate hinges. I used 3/8” baltic birch for the center hub. Placing the gate hinges on top of the center hub will allow the spreader to collapse downward. The other way around would sometimes catch my fingers.

2C81DAA9-9860-4CAB-822D-52FFAA2C50D5.jpeg

This is a photo from the underside of the attachment to the leg. 3/4” alumn. Angle was used to attach the gate hinges to the leg.

conn2.jpg

Here’s another look at the connection.

conn3.jpg

• markb, redbaron12 and Michael Covington like this

#1212 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

Here’s another mod I made to the surveyors tripod. A DIY column was necessary so that the focuser on my 4” APO wouldn’t strike the tripod legs when pointed at the zenith. Because my Desert Sky altaz mount has its own column all I needed was about three more inches. I created the column with 4 discs cut from 3/4” poplar using a drill motor and a hole saw. I also added a pilot disc to the bottom of the column that squeezes into the well of the tripod head. It secures the column to the tripod like a rock. All the discs are glued together. The carpenters glue makes the column super strong.

Column Circles.jpg

column2.jpg

So, this is the survey tripod modified with odds and ends that holds up my 4” refractor.

0D3BAE2E-96AF-4773-9791-F2DAE5A8B53C.jpeg

Edited by JimOfOakCreek, 12 April 2021 - 03:19 PM.

#1213 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

I also used a pier extension when mounting my now-gone Jaegers 6" f8. It sometimes sees use with odd items like regular binos (odd for me, anyway).

Non astro mods were the ebay sourced knobbed head 'bolts', a replacement aluminum thick wall pipe and truck bedliner paint from Lowes.

The Orion original worked wonderfully but weighed a ton, as it was based on a length of steel pipe. Transport was a misery when combined with everything else.

I sourced a correct ID length of aluminum pipe on ebay or amazon (likely the former), measured and drilled the 3 securing holes at each end and painted it with Hercules bed liner for trucks.

The liner paint had a great texture and is very tough, but a full cure, to no odor and full hardness, took weeks. Great stuff, although not designed for astro.

I wish Orion had started with aluminum, it was a great improvement.

I use knobbed M10 and 3/8-16 'bolts' to secure it to my surveyor's tripod and alt az mounts, since the Orion is set up with a nice trunnion bearing knob that doesn't match my mount.I stare the assorted bolts and knobs in the extension pier body.

My other favorite nonastro item, luminescent 'glow' tape, gave me markers inside and outside the pier and extension to ease alignment of the holes in the dark.

On the paint, I had to repaint the Jaegers dewshield, and found that appliance paint was harder and more attractive than 'regular' paint. This one I've seen suggested on CN over the years, and it is great.

Edited by markb, 13 April 2021 - 03:32 PM.

• JimOfOakCreek likes this

#1214 LU1AR

LU1AR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

shower cap covers for newtonians, RC's are ok, but they provide no physical protection for refractors, SCTs, Maks.

I use the 35 mm. film canisters; with a small hole in the base and a bag of Silica Gel inside, to seal the eyepiece holder and protect my ETX-90 from fungus.
Regards.
Edgardo

Attached Thumbnails

• Silica Gel 04.jpg
  • Silica Gel 04b.jpg

• blakestree, Allanbarth1, Ohmless and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics