•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Mystery 8se

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
123 replies to this topic

#101 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

What Mark said. Starizona is getting a pretty good reputation for making (or at least designing) their own product line.

#102 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

According to Celestron's own website, Hyperstar came around about the same time Fastar was discontinued. Celestron does mention Starizona by name, saying that they now make Hyperstar lenses to replace the discontinued Fastar lenses. The same website say that all Edge HD's are Fastar compatible, but makes no mention of SE or CPC or any other model being Fastar compatible.

Fastar (Hyperstar) has a big potential benefit for SE and CPC owners looking to do CCD imaging though. The alt-az mount is not ideal for long exposures due to field rotation. With super fast f/2 imaging, the 30 second or so exposure times that a fork mount are limited to, is no longer limiting. Starizona claims images are captured 25 times faster. That 30 second Fastar exposure is like a standard 12.5 minute long exposure. My guess is that once they have all their product lines switched over, and are manufacturing all new SCT's with Fastar compatible secondaries, Celestron will start advertising it and marketing it as a benefit over Meade. So far I cant find any advertisements for it on anything but the Edge HD's.

BTW, Starizona also makes a "conversion kit" to convert a "standard" SCT into a Fastar (Hyperstar) compatible SCT. After the conversion you still need the Hyperstar lens for CCD imaging.

#103 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Just stumbled onto this thead I too recently purchased a Nexstar 8SE and it has The Fastar secondary and the HC firmware of Rev 4.15. Purchased it from The Science Shop in Edmonton,Ab in Feb of 2011.The last Celestron I owned wa a C8 purchases in 1977 I hope it will be as good a scope as that one was!!!

#104 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Welcome nomosnow

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You've got a great scope there - enjoy. You'll need an external 12V battery pack (eg Leisure Battery/Car Starter Battery) if you haven't got one already as these scopes eat AA's like my wife eats chocolate!

#105 flboy

flboy

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi NoMo,

Welcome to CN & the Nexstar Forum!!

#106 ftrobbie

ftrobbie

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Welcome nomosnow

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You've got a great scope there - enjoy. You'll need an external 12V battery pack (eg Leisure Battery/Car Starter Battery) if you haven't got one already as these scopes eat AA's like my wife eats chocolate!

Hope the CFO never lurks otherwise you're in big trouble :lol: How many unbroken bones is Art going to be left with if she does?

42?

Have fun

#107 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well look at it this way, if you want to blow some dust off your secondary it's a hell of a lot easier!

Back before 1977 all C5/C8 secondary holders were anodized aluminum. Then they went to a plastic unit. Meade stayed with alloy on its SCTs. The Fastar secondary holder is way better than the plastic unit. Frequently as the scope ages the paper board gaskets used between the corrector and the holder shrink and the holder will rotate, As we all know the orientation of the secondary is critical to canceling out optical aberrations.

The plastic holder was simply pressed in place with some glue to hold the baffle tube to the mirror mounting portion so there is no good way to tighten up the assembly without breaking the adhesive bond and regluing. So there you are with a heat gun trying to melt the glue with out melting the hold our breaking the corrector. Not a lot of fun!

The alloy unit threads together and the baffle tube can simply be hand tightened with the corrector off. I'm willing to bet that production quality is better with the alloy unit. Even if not tightened enough it will not rotate because Fastar correctors have a notch cut in the glass that a key on the holder mates with.

The plastic holders were injection molded. After you make 150-300K units the molds have to be replaced they are not cheap. OTOH Chinese machined alloy Fastar holders are that expensive.

So I'd conclude that the alloy secondary holder is now not much more expensive than continuing the old plastic unit and makes it easier to get quality out of the Chinese assembly line. If it were a marketing thing we would have heard about it.

The EdgeHD uses totally different optics. As someone else mentioned there are additional optical elements mounted in the primary mirror's baffle tube. These optics correct of the inherent coma that an SCT's spherically ground optics create. Televue sells the Paracorr that does the same thing for Newtonians. Vixen had a line of Newts in the '80s that had similar optics and sells "modified Cassegrains" now that have a corrector in between the primary and the secondary. So this is not a new idea.

#108 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi Nomosnow, and welcome to the friendliest forum on CN. Any questions just ask away, there is always someone who knows the answer... If you know the answer to a question, then there is always someone who will listen.... :bow: :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• 4478117-3d_effects.gif

#109 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

LOL Robbie.

My other half mainly camps on the TES website so I reckon I'm safe!

Besides which, how can I be punished for telling the truth?

Which reminds me of a joke:

Pupil: "Miss would you tell me off if I hadn't done anything?"

Teacher: "Of course not Billy, don't be so silly!"

Pupil: "That's great Miss 'cos I haven't done my homework!"

(Don't ask me why it reminded me of that joke)

Oh, and for those of you that play the game - I just lost!

#110 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Anybody that wants to see my old C-8 and me check out Sky and Telescope December 1983 issue page 549 . Amateur Astromers / conducted by John Wright Briggs.
It has been along.....time ..but Iam glad I have taken up the hobby again.

#111 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Hey Gents
I have one too.....never noticed it before until I read this thread. I got it in Nov. 2010.

Sonny

#112 mexjon

mexjon

Poet Laureate

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

Mine too is a Fastar compatible.

#113 ftrobbie

ftrobbie

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Besides which, how can I be punished for telling the truth?

Just reminds me of a Few Good Men

Jessep: I want the truth

Kaffee: You can't handle the truth. .....

A great piece of dialogue

Art

The trouble is the truth hurts :lol: or might for you. :bawling:

It's a complicated life

Have fun

#114 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I checked out the Starizona site briefly last night. There aparantly is some lens (that bares the Starizona name) that must be inserted in place of the secondary. Then a ccd imager can be pluged into the area where the secondary is. It will have a wider field. So is the Fastar upgrade just the ability to remove the secondary?

Sonny

#115 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

The Starizona part you put in where the secondary is, is called Hyperstar. You put the CCD imager into that. It changes the scope's focal ratio to f/2.1 (for 8SE). The scope is normally f/10, a slow speed photographically. So the f/2 is very fast and cuts down on the length of exposure time required for the image. There are some limits on which type of camera you can use, but there are several that fit the Hyperstar for 8" scopes and larger. You can't use a DSLR in Hyperstar. The camera ends up sitting right in front of the corrector plate so some light is blocked. But the fast f/2 FR more than makes up for it. Check this link for more info on Hyperstar.

If you have a Fastar compatible 8SE, you are lucky, especially if astrophotography is your interest. All you need to become a "professional" APer is a couple thousand more $$$ and you will have a GREAT setup! <He said jealously>

#116 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Ooops! I wrote that you can't use a DSLR in Hyperstar. True for the 8". But if you happen to have a Fastar compatible 11" or 14" SCT, you CAN use a DSLR (Canon and Nikkon models).

#117 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Oh and BTW, according to the Hyperstar website (link above), if your scope is not Fastar compatible, Starizona has a conversion kit you can get so you too can enjoy the Hyperstar. Clever folks aren't they? :grin:

#118 BruceG

BruceG

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

My 8 SE that was purchased in December from Telescopes.com and has Fastar as well. Since one of my longer term goals is to eventually do some AP I'm now thilled. Looking at Starizona it seems like the hyperstar will be on my list instead of upgraded mounts and faster telescopes. That will be in the future though. I plan to do visual observing for a while before attempting AP. This does though give me hope to do it sooner than the much later and thousands of $$ I was thinking it would take.

#119 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Some of the cameras listed are not that expensive. I think the Meade can be had for approximately $350. I know that AP is in my future and this just mkes it better. BTW I acually got to spend around 2 hours observing tonight. The temp was cold but tolerable and the sky was beautiful. I saw Saturn in my 8se for the first time. It was incredible. I was able to take it up to an 8mm lens and still see it clearly. Gotta love these rare nights. I almost never get to use that lens but nights like this make it worth having in the box.

#120 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

After actually reading thru all the info at Starizona, I have changed my mind. The lens is around $700 and the ccd's you can use are not the ones I thought they were. They are rather pricey. A good set-up will exceed the cost of the 8se itself. Not exactly where I want to go with this hobby.

#121 James Benet

James Benet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

I've searched all over the net and can't find anyone who has used Hyperstar with an 8 SE. Hence I found and posted here.

Some Micro 4/3ds cameras are much smaller and lighter than the Rebel Canons and could probably be used with success on an 8SE with hyperstar but I struggle to find even one user who has used a hyperstar on an 8SE.

If you could get a beefier CPC tripod with the 8SE and the hyperstar this combo could be extremely cost effective to get 30 second subs and a great entry into AP.

#122 Efflixi

Efflixi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Just to add to this, I just got my new 8SE and it is Fastar compatible. I guess all the new ones are having this added.

#123 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

Mine too, purchased today from Astronomics. Firmware NXS 4.20.

#124 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

The improvements in version 4.20 can be seen when looking at the file description in the HCupdate program. The MC file was also updated but only for the 4SE.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics