•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6/11/10 Goldendale, WA campout & star party

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
347 replies to this topic

#326 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Steve's right on that one. Timing on the newer cars is even more important in todays engines than in the past. With variable valve timing and multiple cams per head, it doesn't take much at all to screw up todays modern engine.

When that field mouse was taken up into the cam belt and caused one or both cams to jump/skip just one tooth, thats all it takes for the int.exh valves to start tapping on the piston tops. The constant hitting/jarring will quickly ruin the tappets and put extra load on the cams lobes which will start to destroy the cam itself. Now your looking at metal in the engine as well.

#327 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

OK, I guess this makes sense. Yikes.

Keith

#328 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Steve's right on that one. Timing on the newer cars is even more important in todays engines than in the past. With variable valve timing and multiple cams per head, it doesn't take much at all to screw up todays modern engine.

When that field mouse was taken up into the cam belt and caused one or both cams to jump/skip just one tooth, thats all it takes for the int.exh valves to start tapping on the piston tops. The constant hitting/jarring will quickly ruin the tappets and put extra load on the cams lobes which will start to destroy the cam itself. Now your looking at metal in the engine as well.

Sounds insipidous....Actually valves cannot hit the cylidar head. Even at full stroke. The valve is set inside a recess in the head seat and only opens milleleters for exhaust and fuel/air mixtures to exit and enter. The valve would have to break from its cam seat and fall into the piston for that to happen. If the timing fails due to a *jump*on the typing wheel/belt interface your engine will run horribly due to missed intake/exhaust/firing cycles. I'm tending to believe there was another underlying issue. The mouse became the scapegoat. If the design was that poorly executed in the first place...KIA has some part in the defect.

I'm just sorry John had to end such a good astro experience with such an unfortunate breakdown.

Then again...I may be a complete idiot and I don't know what I'm talking about. Everything is disposable today..why not a 40K automobile... :confused: :foreheadslap:

Rob(I apologize to everyone for my outdate knowledge)

#329 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

I am not sure what model John's Kia is but many Kia engines are interference (meaning valves CAN hit the pistons) engines. Google it.

#330 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

One thing still puzzling me...aren't timing belts/chains, etc. enclosed, i.e. not exposed to the elements? How did the mouse get in there? The serpentine belt is exposed, but in my limited experience that's not the same thing.

Keith

#331 Mark Aguirre

Mark Aguirre

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

Attempting to talk the park ranger at Hurricaine Ridge into letting me stay the night in the parking lot "without" a camping permit. But the clouds are rolling in anyway, so not going to make too much an effort. He informs me that the clouds always roll in.

On a side note, and I apologize in advance if I offend anybody, but the people from "out of the country" that were up there visiting had absolutely ZERO respect for anything. Throwing rocks and snowballs at the deer, the Chinese kids chasing the deer across the fields that clearly state "do not walk on meadows, or off the trails". I finally yelled at some guys walking through the grass, walking right up to deer, and showing them exactly what the sign said. They didnt understand English, but I think they understood me!!

#332 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

Good for you, Mark.

I've never seen a ranger up there, perhaps because I have always entered after the entrance fee booth closes for the evening.

How much snow is up there? Is the sidewalk around the parking lot bare? I like to set up at the end of the lot away from the lodge, but on the same side of the lot.

#333 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

I wonder how John's car saga is progressing. I hope it has all worked out.

#334 JStanley

JStanley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:59 AM

I wonder how John's car saga is progressing. I hope it has all worked out.

The good news is that my Auto Insurance Company (State Farm) has approved my damage claim and is paying almost all the cost of my Engine repair. They even agreed to reimburse me for the cost of the three days I spent at the Yakima Quality Inn. All that I have to pay is my $250 deductable and 20% of the cost of my Rental Car.

According to the claim adjuster, this sort of thing happens all the time with small Critters infesting Engine compartments while they try to get out of the cold…

I thought that I would have a difficult time getting my claim approved but luckily I had my Car towed to one of their regular auto-repair centers (the KIA Dealership). State Farm sent a claim adjuster to the Dealership to take a few photos of the remains of the dead Field Mouse imbedded in my Timing Belt. Once State Farm had those photos to verify my claim, they immediately approved the claim and will pay the Dealership directly for the repair work.

According to the KIA Dealership, my Car should be ready Thursday. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up sometime today so I can go get my Travel Trailer. I will post another update message after I retrieve my Car and Travel Trailer.

#335 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Super good new John...... :jump: :jump: :jump:

Rob

#336 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

John, I'm really glad you didn't have a huge financial loss to go along with the frustration and lost time!

Your experience speaks highly of St. Farm's claim attitude. I can think of another (unnamed) insurance company that would crush your hopes in its Great Hands and give you nothing but Hell, I mean Heck.

#337 JStanley

JStanley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

John, I'm really glad you didn't have a huge financial loss to go along with the frustration and lost time!

Your experience speaks highly of St. Farm's claim attitude. I can think of another (unnamed) insurance company that would crush your hopes in its Great Hands and give you nothing but Hell, I mean Heck.

Are you refering to Allstate?

There is a fantastic book titled "From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves: The Dark Side of Insurance" which documents how Allstate screwed it policyholders out of billions of dollars of claims they are entitled to.

#338 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

Ubetcha

#339 Mark Aguirre

Mark Aguirre

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Good for you, Mark.

I've never seen a ranger up there, perhaps because I have always entered after the entrance fee booth closes for the evening.

How much snow is up there? Is the sidewalk around the parking lot bare? I like to set up at the end of the lot away from the lodge, but on the same side of the lot.

The snow is gone along the sidewalk on the side the lodge is on. The other side (North?) still has some snow. The side with the meadow that the deer are always covering has the snow.

I'll bet it is pretty nice and dark up there at night!!

#340 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

Dark it is. The main view is to the south, and the view goes straight down the main section of Olympic Natl. Park, with the nearest light dome Elma or Montesano, a long way away -- 50-75 mi? And the mountain behind you blocks the light from P.A. I really like the place and try to make it annually.

#341 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

John, Glad to hear things are working out. Hope the problems you had at the last sp won't stop you from coming again.

#342 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Dark it is. The main view is to the south, and the view goes straight down the main section of Olympic Natl. Park, with the nearest light dome Elma or Montesano, a long way away -- 50-75 mi? And the mountain behind you blocks the light from P.A. I really like the place and try to make it annually.

I remember that all nighter we pulled a couple years ago....that was an exceptional night. Dark...and full of dear that sneek up on you..... :shocked: As I recall there were several star gazers that night viewing along with us.

The family and I were visiting there a month ago..on a very beautiful day with all kinds of snow boarders andd skiers.....we also went down to the tide pools that we visited....My wife and daughter had never been there before so it was fun. We kinda retraced our old footsteps.

Great fun.

Rob

#343 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

That was a great excursion, Rob! :jump:

#344 JStanley

JStanley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just got home from retrieving my Car from Yakima and my Travel Trailer from Goldendale. Actually I picked them both up yesterday but decided to sleep overnight at a Freeway Rest Stop. Both are in fine shape and I want to especially thank Mike for allowing my Trailer to stay parked on his land for an extra 10 days.

#345 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm glad the ordeal is over, John. What a nightmare. :p

#346 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Both are in fine shape and I want to especially thank Mark for allowing my Trailer to stay parked on his land for an extra 10 days.

Ordeal over!

John, I'm glad you had a safe place to leave your trailer. It was no problem at all. :)

#347 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

hey Mike, I added this thread to my favorites and will read more to get caught up when I have more time. I have to go to work now.

#348 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

There's no test on Friday. You've probably seen enough to taste the flavor. :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics