•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Meade DSI and Mac OSX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

I started this new thread to dedicate it to the DSI and Mac for the simple reason it will be easier to find.
I have had a bit of a problem getting info on the internal parts of the DSI as I dont have one yet so I went up into the CCD forum and put a post up asking for info and I got what I needed to start, thanks to Denis T who lead me to the info I needed, after doing some tracking and research I found out that the Sony ICX404AK CCD which is in the DSI is a common CCD used in surveillance cameras and certain types of webcams , I am now looking for surveillance cameras and higher end webcams containing the ICX404AK CCD or the other ICX series CCDs, after going through the spec sheets I now have some reservations on the output of heat generated buy this CCD, I understand what Meades idea of cooling is and it is good and they wanted to keep the cost down, I have my own idea on cooling this thing and will post my results after everything is done, as for getting the DSI to work on a Mac, I think its just a matter of time now as the research is slowly but surely starting to pay off, I do think some cam maker made a OSX driver for the CCD (or the group the CCD belongs too) and it would be much easier to manipulate their driver to work with the DSI, in many cases you may not even have to touch the driver and it will work as is.

#2 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

Here's a good price on the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
640x480 video resolution with the advanced VGA CCD sensor and high-quality 1.3 megapixel photo resolution.

$79

http://www.macmall.c...asp?dpno=545613

:bow:

#3 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

Brown box version of the QC Pro 4000 is even cheaper. I found one local computer store in Burnaby is selling that for $70 CDN (approx $56US)

#4 JanM

JanM

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hi goggles ...

Seems you know a bit about programming. I am currently learning c++ and want to eventually program small apps for windows. I have recently got a mac and will probably want to do the same for the osx enviroment.

Having read a few articles and installed Xcode it seems that the mac uses objective-C with cocoa for application development. I know you can use c++ with carbon but there does not seem to be as much support available for it.

My question

is learning objective-C easy to grasp comming from a C++ background? How similar are they ?

I want to do things the proper way ie.. obj-C and cocoa but am unsure wether its worth the extra effort...

thanks.

JanM

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:28 AM

Jan objective-c is an extention of c, you will find it more like an alternative to c++, there are many similarities also many differences, you should not have much problem learning it although you will have your days with it, to figure out if its worth it, you must ask yourself, am I going to be paid for this work and how much, since the G5 iMac OSX and Macs have jumped in popularity, I dont know if you are a pro or a student but if you are a student learn a low level assembler language, its tougher and drives you to drink but it pays better and your job wont be outsourced to south asia somewhere.

#6 JanM

JanM

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

Well programming is a hobby of mine really, its not something i will do fulltime. So i don't think i will take on low level programming. The quickest route making simple appz is as far as i want to go for the time being.

From what you say i think it'll be ok to get from c++ to obj-c. Do you know of a resource that'll get you from one to the other ?

thanks

jan

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:02 AM

Jan you should find this book helpful "Objective-C Pocket Reference By Andrew M. Duncan" and "Learning Cocoa with Objective-C, 2nd Edition buy James Duncan Davidson" I use it for reference many times and it has a very good tutorial, the Objective-C Pocket Reference book should be your first book, it will run you through the similarities with c++, I first started on c around 1979, it was still a young language then and I evolved with it which makes it easier to branch off, although my interests are different I try to stay current as possible, OC is not my pay language but its something you dont forget if practiced occasionally

#8 JanM

JanM

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thanks goggles...

I have ordered ..."Objective-C Pocket Reference" today. Should have it by next week. According to the description its exactly what i need to aid the crossover from c++.

The other book i can borrow from the local library.

Thanks for the suggestions... Much appreciated...:)

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Any of you Mac heads out there with a Meade DSI, if your one of the people to get Tiger on the 29th and install it, please plug your DSI in and see if it fires up, give it a shot on iChat and see if it is recognized, there are 100s more webcam and camcorder drivers in it and it just might work with th Sony CCD in the DSI (I haven't got DSI yet still waiting), please post if it works or not, if its a no go the plan c and d with have to take effect

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

I got my Meade DSI Pro, now I know I claimed to be getting the first DSI but the Pro version appealed to me more and it came out at the same time I planned on getting getting the first DSI, regardless, the DSI Pro is not recognized by OSX Tiger period, but I am about to open this thing up and ID the chips in it, I did some tests already and had some results as I went into this blindly, I run some tests to open the CCD with generic drivers, they did not work but 3 of them did give me an indication that I had opened a channel, there was some garbage showing up on the Mac, but I look at it as a start, I have an idea what to do and write but like I say I have to open this thing up and ID parts and see if I can find some mappings on the chips in the DSI Pro, Im still on the case and will report my results either good or bad.

#11 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

Googles, thanks so much for all your effort!
I have Tiger, and am waiting for some creative MACsoul to find a way to use the DSI with a Mac. In the meantime I am saving up for a DSLR in case that is the route I must go.
Again, thanks!

#12 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

I too am heading to the DSLR route

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

I opened up the DSI pro and IDed every chip in it only to find out all I had to do is go to the yahoo dsi groups site and get the chipsets and mappings, BUT I just got a great idea to get better cooling but before I get into that I should go into the CCD forum and ask questions about noise and stuff

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:07 AM

Anyone tried using "Keith's AstroImager" and "Keith's ImageStacker" with a DSI on the Mac? Works with the LPI.....haven't verified it in docs, etc. but would be worth looking at as it supports a ton of cameras from my memory of reading the docs. If nothing else, contacting the author and requesting addition of DSI support might actually work in this case as well!

#15 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:22 AM

I just wrote Keith to ask him about this. He lives just a few miles from me. I'll keep you posted.

#16 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

Here's what Keith had to say:

"I don't own one myself. I obviously can't personally experiment with cameras I don't own. Therefore, I have no idea if the camera would work. :-) My program basically
relies on the Quicktime camera interface. This is convenient because it allows me to assume my software will work with tons of different cameras I don't own so long as they conform to quicktime standards. However, I think Meade uses proprietary interfaces with their cameras to intentionally force people to use their software and not anyone else's software.
------------
Ok.. what if all us Mac users pitched in and bought him one to write the code for it. His programming skills are really good, as his AstroImager spplication shows. It would be really cool to have a native OSX driver for the DSI.

#17 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:08 AM

His programming skills are really good...

But his UI skills, at least in KIS, could use a little polishing.

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

A possible Mac driver for the DSI PRO would be a SAC 8, SAC has Mac drivers for some of their cams but their site is very vague, if there is a Mac driver for a SAC 8 I cant find it unless some one here knows, If you find one try it, if it does not work, it can be modified, the CCD in the SAC 8 comes from the same Sony CCD type family.
As for the DSI Color try this link to logitech as one of the SAC Color runs this driver and it has a Sony CCD www.logitech.com your looking for OSX or OS9 drivers for QuickCam® Pro 4000
Be aware this is a test, if your DSI is recognized and you get garbage on the screen, this is a good start, it can be modified, I dont have a DSI color, so somebody has to try it out and tell me what happened, as I can look through the driver and see what it is doing and modify it from there to be tested, it may or may not work in Tiger, Panther users can you try this?
Remember we are all testing this, I dont know what the outcome is, and if somebody can steer me to a SAC 8 Mac driver, it would be great
P.S Trying to make a driver from scratch is not easy as the info needed has to be mined, the product makers do not want to have anything to do with you as they stick with the majority and asking them for info goes unheard, that has never stopped me from trying.

#19 jterry94

jterry94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

SAC asked me to write a driver for their cameras to be included in iCCD. Unfortunately, they never provided me with the information necessary to do so. I have moved on to adding support for more Starlight Express Cameras and the Finger Lakes Instrument cameras as both companies have provided me with all the information necessary to communicate with their cameras.

The Meade DSI uses some fancy techniques. It shuts down all of the electronics during image acquisition,etc. All of these things need to be considered in the driver. I don't hold out much hope for someone randomly getting a driver to work.

I have asked Meade to let me support the DSI but they have said no.

I don't expect to see it work on a Mac.

#20 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:36 PM

Meade dosen't worry me about their techniques and they are not fancy, Im not after a random driver, but if it works its works, all I need to do is get close, garbage would be fine because it can figure out what its doing, its just starting from scratch with missing info takes to much time for good results, I had the DSI Pro apart, and I know what all the parts do and there is nothing fancy there and there is nothing fancy with their Windows driver, the camera is a slightly modified security cam, nothing more, I have my reservations about the their programmers, Ive been through their stuff (and I may start a war here) and they are beep, it was probably outsourced to the lowest bidder and they got what they paid for.

#21 jterry94

jterry94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Are you sure that it operates as a modified webcam? The Sony chip is similar to those used in the Starlight Express cameras. In the SX line, the chips are acting as astronomical ccd's instead of webcams. I was told that the Meade DSI was also operating in a similar manner.

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

I traced the chip to surveillance cameras, as a matter of fact there is a lot of makers out there running Sony HAD color and mono ccd's. the same chips and chip id #s in the DSI and DSI Pro, the guys here who are running the Meade cmos LPI with the Mac sonix drivers seem to be doing good and they are getting really creative on using it in Mac.

#23 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:05 PM

Update, I have been working on a driver in my spare time and I am getting results, I have now gotten the DSI Pro recognized on my G5 iMac using Tiger, it was a bit of a fluke but thats the way it goes and I'll take it, I still have garbage on the screen and have contacted a friend of mine who is a Nvidia and Ati expert, he was enthralled that I got the DSI Pro recognized and I emailed him my work and now he will give it a shot from there.

#24 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

Fits and starts, the way it goes. Sounds encouraging though! Good Luck!

#25 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

You have my interest! Keep up the hard work!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics