•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Linux and ASCOM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#26 NigelS

NigelS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

O.K Lets try this, bare with me, i know some of this may look repetitive but we'll give it a go anyway.

1. Open a terminal and run ps ax |grep indi to ensure indi isnt running
2. if indi is not running launch kstars, if it is running do kill -9 <pid of indiserver> or killall -9 indiserver whichever you prefer
3. in kstars go to devices > device manager > telescopes
4. click on celestron_gps
5. click the run service button
you should get an output something similar to this

2010-02-18T22:03:22: listening to port 7264 on fd 4
2010-02-18T22:03:22: Client 5: new arrival from 127.0.0.1:45179 - welcome!
2010-02-18T22:03:22: Driver indi_celestron_gps: initilizaing from Celeston GPS device...

btw ensure when you start the service the Local radio button is selected and NOT server.

if you get the output as above, close device manager, then again goto devices in kstars, now the indi control panel should be available, go into that, and set the device to /dev/ttyUSB0 click set, then connect .. if all goes well you should be connected to your scope now, btw the connection cannot be made until alignment is done, so do a fake solar system align or last align just to get the scope off the alignment setting.

Let me know if this works :)

#27 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

I find both celestrongps and indi_celestron_gps driver files in /etc/bin. The first one causes indiserver to go into endless fits. The second one acts ok but still doesn't open a port that netstat or telnet can see. It also tries to use ttyS0.

#28 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Ok, here's what I get:

Connection to INDI host at localhost on port 7268 failed. The log data shows it's trying to use celestrongps which I've already found to not work. How do I change it to indi_celestron_gps?

#29 NigelS

NigelS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

i think celestrongps is just an alias for the gps driver, you can try specifying the indi_celestron_gps driver directly but i noticed that both celestron drivers refer to the same physical file

#30 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Celestrongps is an exe file 52.9KB dated 09/05/08 while indi_celestron_gps is an exe file 70.5KB dated 12/04/09. Looks like KStars is trying to use an old and incompatible driver file. Where in KStars is the driver file specified for a particular telescope? I saw something earlier today about a file something like devices.xml but can't find it now.

#31 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Think I found it. Look in /usr/share/apps/kstars/drivers.xml. In <ScopeDrivers> there's reference to the old driver. Also, in <devGroup group="Telescopes"> there's two more. Should these be changed to the new driver and if so what will the version numbers be. They're both 0.9 on mine.

#32 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

About KStars shows V1.2.9(Using KDE 3.5.10). It's part of kdeedu 3.5.10-1pclos2007 in the PCL repository.

#33 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:31 AM

I don't think changing the driver file name reference will work either. I used the right name when I tried to start the server from a terminal as root and it still wouldn't run. I also tried it with the firewall open and no go.

Out of ideas.

#34 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Now it works. There is a conflict between the Indi that's embedded in KStars and indilib from the repository. Here's my solution. Do a complete removal for kdeedu(kstars), indilib, and libindi0. Start a new session to clean up in case it's needed. Reinstall kdeedu only and do not include the other two that were removed. Turn on the scope and do a phony one star align on Polaris by setting AL to your latitude and aiming north. Connect the USB/232 adapter to the scope. Start KStars and go through the normal initialize. Select CelestronGPS and ttyUSB0. Do the normal Indi stuff. All the right windows will appear. Turn off cordwrap on the scope. Test some GoTos near Polaris. Sit back and smile. It's been an ordeal.

#35 NigelS

NigelS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Glad you have it working now Eddie, it certainly wasn't straight forward, i'm going to continue to try to get stellarium to work, i find Kstars a little to slow and inaccurate at the moment.

#36 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

After getting my two PCL laptops working I tried again to fix the U9.10 machine. No luck there and found two problems. First, the Indi package is required whether you install kstars or kdeedu. If you install either of these you get Indi but the Device menu item does not appear. Second, and worse, the mouse cursor only shows up in the menu and status bar and disappears in the main window. The cursor position data is displayed at the bottom as you move it but you have no idea where it is. Could not find any options to fix it so gave up on U9.10. I'm now burning a CD with PCL-LXDE and will try installing KStars on it tomorrow.

Seems like I had a problem installing Stellarium on one of the laptops, something about OpenGL not supported. Will check that out also.

#37 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

No luck with KStars on PCL-LXDE. Synaptic says there are unresolved dependencies and will not install. LXDE is a light weight desktop and lacks many of the KDE files.

No luck either with Stellarium on either laptop. They install on both but won't run. The older Toshiba shows the program starting but never makes it to the screen. Dmesg shows a segfault.

The program will install on the Acer D150 netbook and start but the first window is an error statement saying that OpenGL not supported.

So it looks like KStars on a normal PCL system is the only way I can go. Fortunately, it runs correctly on both laptops so I can drag the little one out to the scope or run longer cables for the larger one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics