•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super resolution: anyone know much about it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi-

Much of what you're describing has been implemented in MetaGuide for several years: live analysis of video to align and stack speckle images of stars at 4x resolution to reveal the Airy pattern. This is for collimation based on the Airy pattern, and for comparing the Airy pattern to theory. The centroid of the result is then used for guiding, which I call "Lucky Guiding," and is referenced on the Luck Imaging page.

I considered doing a more elaborate FFT based alignment, but for the speckle patterns I deal with, the speckle alignment I implemented works ok.

I don't know of other tools doing something like this - live analysis and stacking of video frames at higher resolution.

Frank

#27 Kamujin

Kamujin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Are you still working on this project?

#28 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

I sat through a talk at the OPT astro event at their store this summer. There was a young guy that was developing an app that would take super- resolution images but I lost interest after he said they were one gig a piece. If you call OPT they might have his info.

#29 Kamujin

Kamujin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

After digging around, I've come to realize that the replies referring to lucky imaging and speckle imaging are actually the vernacular for super resolution in the astronomy community. After realizing this, I've found far more information on the topic than I can digest in the immediate future. Now I am off to try and understand what I have found. If I don't come back, you'll know why!

Thanks for the reply.

#30 Astrofriend

Astrofriend

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

If you have undersampled images you can in theory get diffraction limited resolution if your optics are good enough.

DSS, Deep Sky Stacker has Drizzle functions which let your undersampled images get transformed to higher rsolution, Hubble technology I think. But there are better ways today.

I have started to use AstroImageJ which is based on ImageJ, my plan is to use superresolution functions/plugin in the future but much to learn yet and it's a slow process.

http://www.astro.lou...re/astroimagej/

Here you can read how far I have come to use AstroImageJ to handle Canon raw files (already that was tricky):

http://astrofriend.e...troduction.html

It works very well and yesterday I solved how to align images when movement are to big and when you have a lot of stars, ie widefield photos.

My last image where I used AstroImageJ

http://astrofriend.e...eda-galaxy.html

It's very interesting and it's free and you can ad other plugins to it.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend, 13 September 2016 - 11:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics