•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 for $67 shipped.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:28 PM

I ordered a pair of Celestron Skymasters for $67 shipped from Amazon.com. The are due to arrive on Monday (Dec. 1st).

This will basically be my first binocular purchase as it relates to astronomy. I was looking at a pair of Bushnell’s from Wal-mart (10x50) for about $55. However I thought 15x70s sounded much better.

If anybody has had any experience with these please let me know. I will post a first light opinion here once they arrive and the clouds part..

Thanks.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:37 PM

I hope I'm still around in about 10 years time from now.

If the price 15 x 70s binoculars are becoming available for continues at the same descending rate as over the past 10 years ,the Chinese will be PAYING us $100 just to take the things out of their cluttered factory floors by then :-)

It only seems like yesterday Celestron 20 x 80s cost about a WEEK'S wages ( for some ) !

I hope they meet your expectations Walter.

Clear skies -- Kenny

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, I don't really have any expectations for $67. As long as when I look through them the view is better than Gilligan’s after he drank the fermented papaya juice and saw four sets of Headhunters, I’ll be happy.

I assume they will be about as good as a pair of Barskas or similar cheap Chinese imported brand.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:51 PM

I received my Celestron 15x70s today. The box was somewhat crushed from Amazon. They had used those plastic air-baggies to protect the interior, but nobody put an air-baggy on one side, and that was the side that was crushed. I guess they are use to shipping books and not astronomical instruments.

Luckily the Celestron box was totally intact, and binoculars, even though they were only protected by their carrying case/bag (no Styrofoam) where in great shape!

I took them outside and quickly adjusted them. The moon was starting to become overcast with clouds, but I could still see it fine, with many small craters on the edge.

Next I aimed it down the street. These are sold as astronomical binoculars but the terrestrial viewing at night was fine. No problems at all. I do want to try a full daylight test on some wildlife to see how the operate before blessing them as terrestrial binos.

Then I noticed the moon was completely in the clouds, as I started to walk inside, I saw the twinkling of Orion to the east. The clouds hadn’t made it that far, but were moving in rapidly. So I aimed at the belt and all three stars of Orion’s belt were in the FOV. Crystal clear too. I tried for the Orion nebula but it was covered by clouds already.

I then aimed straight up and saw the Pleiades. They were covered with clouds but there they were. When I pulled the binoculars back I couldn’t see them with the naked eye, just clouds. I tried the binos again, and there they were.

I decided to call it a night.

So far with this brief test, I’m very happy with them. They seem perfectly collimated, and they have a very good FOV.

The Barska Gladiator 12-36x70s I had returned a few weeks ago were not near as good as these, however to be fair, those were zoom binos and these aren’t.

If you are looking for a gift, or a starter pair of binos I don’t think you can go wrong with these for only $67 shipped. If they weren’t so big, I’d give a pair to my kid.

I do think a camera tripod is in order for a long viewing session. I haven’t tried the mount that came with the Celestron’s but it looked very similar to the Barska’s mount.

Thanks.

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

I have the same binos and they are very good for the price. I'm not sure how well they will hold collimation over time.

#6 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:46 PM

I'm looking for inexpensive bins, but wear glasses. How's the eye relief on these? I see they are now up to $69.95 at Amazon, but that's still cheap to me.

Larry in CA

#7 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:51 PM

Answered my own question: 18mm, should be enough for me.

Larry in CA

#8 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:10 PM

So, here I am again.

Did some net searching for these bins and found them for $59, But they were listed as Barska Blackhawk 15x70. Is the cheap binocular business like VCR's, only a few manufacturers putting different labels on their product?

Larry in CA (where it's about to rain for two days)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics