•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade's new ETXs - PE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

Was just wondering, has anyone bought the new Meade ETX PEs, and how do they compare to the non PE versions (other than the new graphics).

Also, a dumb question on Maks -- Is the secondary actually a coating on the corrector, and how well collimated do these scopes come???

#2 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

heres my 2cents

I have the older version of the etx 125 and yes the the secondary is actually a coating on the inside on the corrector.

no screws that I have seen to adjust the secondary you can rotate the corrector {probably shouldnt be} in and out but I am not sure how that affects things.

I seen one of the new 125 in the store the other day for the first time sure like the new tripod over the old one but cant say I like the optical tube very much {looks good in the magazines but not in person} glad I have the blue one

#3 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

I agree about the colors.. I like the plain colored tube better. What I am wondering about is whether they have made any improvements on the mechanics of the scope? Also what do you think of its collimation?

#4 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

I have not tried to change the collmination of the scope. I could be wrong but I think thats the beauty of the Maksutov design the collimation ajustment is not required geez I hope I am right in saying this

I guess if the primary mirror is tilted for some reason then collimation could be out or ajusted but I am not sure if the primary can tilt.

#5 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:56 PM

I am not sure what they have done as far as the mechanics of the scope but I can only hope that it's getting better!

as far what I think about it's collimation well I never really did any star testing or that sort of stuff with the scope in and out of focuse.

I did find when viewing with a friend with his 6" refractor that his views allways seemed to be better than mine I just figured it was due to more aperature on his part and no obstruction.

I have a Celestron gps xlt 9.25 that I bought just over a year ago new and have done some star testing with that but have never gone back to look through the Etx since.

#6 silversurfer

silversurfer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:34 AM

Collimation of the ETX is done by adjusting the primary mirror. You have to remove the plastic back along with the flip mirror assembly in order to access the collimation screws. Needless to say, this makes collimation via star test a pain since you cannot have an eyepiece in place while making adjustments. Once collimated, it should hold collimation well. I have a DSX-90 (same ota as an ETX-90), and it arrived badly out of collimation. I sent it back to Meade, and it returned in slightly better shape, but still off. I ended up taking the back off, and spending several nights trying to collimate it. While it is now much better, it is still not perfect. I suppose it never will be unless I get brave and drill holes in the back so that I can access the collimation screws without having to disasemble the scope. Needless to say, disasebling or modifiying the scope will probably void the warranty.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics