•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Film Test: Kodak Gold 200

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

I had a chance to set some Kodak Gold 200. This film is readily available at drug stores.

What I found was that this is a good film and deserves further attention by those of us using 35mm film.

This was a 15 minute exposure using a Pentax MV AND 50mm F/1.7 Pentax "A" lens set at f/2.8.

It readily recorded Barnards loop, the Rosette, and the Seagull nebula. Higher resolution scans show much detail imbedded in the fine grain of this film. I give it my unreserved recommendation.

Larger image here:
http://www.nightfly....old200-1280.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 3643535-gold200-800.jpg

#2 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

I was able to take a second frame taken the same night with the same exposure. I have combined them here.

Lager Version Here:
http://nightfly.zoom...ld_Panorama.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 3643637-Gold Panorama_800.jpg

#3 M111

M111

Viking 1

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Wow, that film is certainly red-sensitive. As always, thanks for your tests.

#4 Orionis91

Orionis91

Mariner 2

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

well that tells me that thats the kind of film I should try thanks.

#5 astronomania

astronomania

Messenger

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Pretty nice shots! Did you have to do any special processing?

#6 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

The MV gets it's first astro frames? Good lens - nice detail - what's not to like about this frame?

Would you agree that E200 may be a bit "smoother" - either that or I'm not used to this kind of detail with such a fine film? Makes me want to play with my 35's again.

Igor

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

@Astronomania. No special processing, straight from the scanner with a few level tweeks in PS. The mosaic was done with Autostitch.

@Nebhunter. I cheated and used my Pentax "A" 50mm /1.7. I put the 50/2 "M" lens on my K1000. I agree that the background with E200 or Elite Chrome 200 is smoother. If I was going to stay with 35mm I would do some more work with this film. I will try shooting the Summer MW with this film.

#8 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

I would certainly use that film - a different perspective, and enthusiasm for something new. Use the best lens - naturally.

I may have a break in conditions tonight. Clear, good seeing, trans average till 01:00 - so I'm going to go for it. Heading for the farm - and Orion. I've waited 3 years for this opportunity.

Film in the camera is expiry June 2009 - and it's been in the P67 since Sept. I've got 3 aborted frames on the roll. I think I will just pull it - not taking any chances. It's been in a cool dry safe - but????

Two cameras - 2 lenses - yanking everything out of storage - auto guider - wake up the G11 and Gemini - what could possibly go wrong!?!?!?!?!? The usual.

Igor - the hopeful

#9 FLNightSky

FLNightSky

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Nightfly, any more experiences with this film?

#10 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Nightfly, any more experiences with this film?

Not yet. We have been between seasonal Milky Way's and this is my quiet time for Milky Way work. I hope to use this film as soon as I start shooting Summer stuff. Usually I have been up in the early AM shooting Sagittarius and Scorpius, but this year is turning out different. I'm primarily shooting medium format, so I will have to load the Spotmatic with Gold 200 and have it tag along when I shoot. Looks like July before I add anything else to this film.

Anyone else want to take a shot with this film? :question:

#11 GaryS

GaryS

Messenger

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi Nightfly:

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of tweaking your image a bit just to demonstrate that there's plenty of data in the file. Once a neg has been scanned you can use the same bag of tricks as you would for a digital image. Of course, much of what one decides to do or not do is a matter of taste. I went for a more neutral background sky colour. Whether or not you'll view this as an improvement, of course, depends on what you like.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

• 3825675-Gold_Pano-ms.jpg

#12 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi Gary,

No problem. I did not process the image much. It was a poor scan as well. There is much potential for this film (if you still believe in the medium) and there are many here looking for an easily available film to dable in film astrophotography.

If this film was available in medium format, I would be using it more.

Regards,

Jim

#13 GaryS

GaryS

Messenger

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hi Gary,

No problem. I did not process the image much. It was a poor scan as well. There is much potential for this film (if you still believe in the medium) and there are many here looking for an easily available film to dable in film astrophotography.

If this film was available in medium format, I would be using it more.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim:

Oh, I think there's a lot of potential in film yet. One thing's for sure -- the gear is plenty cheap. I think some of advantages in digital result from the processing, which you can do with film images too. I hope you can forgive me for playing with your other Orion image too. I'm surprised at how good this came out, given everything. Gold 200 has to be about the most easily obtained (and cheapest) film -- and your image certainly shows it can work nicely for astrophography!

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

• 3826167-gold200-mr.jpg

#14 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Gary,

I will try the Summer Milky Way with this film and post. I see this as you do, a widely available film for astrophotography. I shoot exclusively film. I believe in patience and perseverance and film still offers excellence.

For wide-field work, I find that film is an excellent tool for astrophotography and I plan on shooting film for years to come, regardless of its popularity.

Thanks.

Jim

#15 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

Jim - hope you have enough film to last you awhile. :grin:

igor

#16 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hi Gary - good to see you drop by. Scanning and processing are two of those "evils" that personally drive me nuts. Mind you - it's my scanner model that is not particularly easy to get working with positive film, but that's another story.

My idea of viewing these frames - especially the medium format shots - would be with an old fashioned slide projector. Could you imagine some of these Milky Way frames displayed on an 8x 10 ft wall? The true meaning of the word awesome comes to mind. No scanning or processing - just load and look.

BTW - being the lunar guy - we know that our tides are affected by the moon, but why is it that the best imaging conditions seem to only occur during a full moon cycle?
igor

#17 GaryS

GaryS

Messenger

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi Igor:

Hi Gary - good to see you drop by. Scanning and processing are two of those "evils" that personally drive me nuts. Mind you - it's my scanner model that is not particularly easy to get working with positive film, but that's another story.

Quite so. I prefer to shoot slide film for day-to-day stuff because I love the way slides look projected. There's nothing yet in the digital world that compares.

Getting good scans is its own discipline for sure. But, like everything else in this hobby, it can be both challenging and rewarding. I actually enjoy it.

BTW -- I have a few examples of some slide shots on my web site, if you're curious. Not as nice as Nighfly's stuff, but it's mine!

My idea of viewing these frames - especially the medium format shots - would be with an old fashioned slide projector. Could you imagine some of these Milky Way frames displayed on an 8x 10 ft wall? The true meaning of the word awesome comes to mind. No scanning or processing - just load and look.

And you're seeing the actual bit of film that was in the camera. A light table and good loupe (I use an old 40mm eyepiece) is also a lot of fun -- especially if you don't have a medium-format projector.

BTW - being the lunar guy - we know that our tides are affected by the moon, but why is it that the best imaging conditions seem to only occur during a full moon cycle?
igor

Wish I knew!

Gary

#18 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Fantastic post, and shows the continued life still left in film astrophotography. Good work Jim!

CF

#19 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Gary - enjoyed your film work very much. Whoda thunk that "one of us" was in our midst, and a Pentax man to boot. It can get quiet on "our" forum - as weather and the number of shots remaining on the roll can put a damper on it. But we surface now and then, and hope that you will continue to do the same.

Anyone who picks up a nice Brownie like that definitely has emulsion running in his veins.

igor

#20 GaryS

GaryS

Messenger

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Gary - enjoyed your film work very much. Whoda thunk that "one of us" was in our midst, and a Pentax man to boot. It can get quiet on "our" forum - as weather and the number of shots remaining on the roll can put a damper on it. But we surface now and then, and hope that you will continue to do the same.

Anyone who picks up a nice Brownie like that definitely has emulsion running in his veins.

igor

I hope to do a lot more film astrophotography this summer. While visiting the office a few months back my friend and colleague Dennis di Cicco (no slouch in the astrophoptography game himself) gave me a load of his freezer stored Fuji 800 Super G and some Kodak PJUM Multi Speed Ektapress (native ISO 640). Should be fun!

Gary

#21 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

We film guys are a breed apart. Please do post your results here, especially with any astro test films. We are a sociable bunch. Now we just need to pull Dennis back from the dark side. :grin:

We struggle along, and encourage each other with processing, scanning, and with those gremlins.

igor

#22 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Gary,

How about we put together a retro-astrophoto article for S&T. Maybe in a few more years it will be time for folks to remember film.

I would hope that any film work you do this summer will get posted here. Your input will be a shot in the arm for a lot of folks. I'll work on getting the Summer Milky Way on this Gold 200 film.

BTW, If Dennis had any 120 stuff, I'd make a deal with you.

Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics