•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Which EP for a Mak Orion 127

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

I am about to order a Mak Orion 127EQ and would appreciate some recommendations to choose additional EP.

The scope comes with a 25mm Plössl, for 61x magnification with the 1540mm FL.
I am trying to decide what woiuld be a good additional EP. It seems too me something around 7.5mm would be fine for my intended usage (Moon and planets viewing).
Does this sound like a good choice?

How much is it worth spending on such an EP? I am somewhat on a budget, but do not want to cut corners. Would a $40 EP work well with this scope, or it is worth spending more.
Any brand/model suggestion?

Thank you,
Remy

#2 PMB

PMB

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hi,
You could get an Ortho design for that price range. Great for Lunar and planetary. University Optics has some good performers. 7mm or 9mm. They have a narrow field of view but do well on solar system objects. Orion have some Orthos but I havent used theirs, but I'm sure they're in that price range and should do ok with the Mak.

#3 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

I use a U.O. HD Ortho 12mm and Celestron Ultima 18mm in mine, as well as a 32mm plossl and 40mm plossl. The Ortho works well on planets.

#4 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:59 AM

I'd recommend a Televue 19mm Panoptic EP, and a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow. The TV EP will give a wider APFOV with VG eye relief, and the barlow will give the equiv. of a 9.5mm EP (126x). This is a comfortable range and good for most seeing conditions IMO. I have UO Orthos, but these EPs can only be used infrequently, and are not very comfortable to use for extended periods.

http://www.barrie-tao.com/apex127.html

Ciao...Barry

#5 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:23 AM

I have a 6" 1800mm FL MAK. All my EPs are Celestron plossl's and they work well enough. 6mm is the highest power EP that I have and it works well with my 6" Mak if you ignore eye relief. Price wise my EP's are in the $40 bracket and do well with the lunar/planetary stuff. An Orion plossl in that price range should do you well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics