•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 2045 4" SCT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:13 PM

Can (or will) the Meade 2045 4" SCT use 2" EPs?

I am considering a purchase and I would like to use a 2" diagonal and 2" EPs with the scope to get a larger FOV. Are there issues or limitations to this scope that I should be aware or look for? I do undestand that this scope was potentially made 15-20 (or more) years ago.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hey Mark - I had one of those back in the '80's. Mine came setup for .965" ep's with a hybrid diagonal. I upgraded to 1.25" with a standard diagonal. The visual back was a standard SCT thread. So a 2" diagonal will fit. Don't know if it'll work, though. If the ID of the baffle tube is 1.5" or more it should work fine (I don't remember what the I.D. is; been a looong time). If it's less, all bets are off - at least for long f.l. ep's.

also Mark

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

The threads may accept 2" accessories, but the opening in the scope is <1-1/4", so I wouldn't bother.
Keeping the back optical path short will give you a wider field of view, though (compare the "straight-through" mode with your lowest power eyepiece and the "diagonal-view" and you will see the effect on the field of view of the extra optical length of the diagonal). A 2" diagonal has a longer optical path than a 1-1/4", so will actually vignette the image more.
The scope was often good enough to justify an upgrade diagonal from the original, so keep that in mind.
Here is another thread about a similar 4" aperture scope.
Travel down the thread to find my comments about keeping the optical path short.
here

good luck. I think you'll enjoy the scope. I wish I still had mine.

#4 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

Mark and Don, thank you for the quick response.

The resaon I am looking at this particular scope/model was because I already have a number of 2" accessories for my 8" SCT (e.g. diagonal, visual back, EPs, Crayford focuser, focal reducer, filters, etc.) I was hoping to get wider FOV with the scope and potentially mount it on my 8" SCT.

I would like to "try before I buy" and want to set my expectations. However, both your feedback has indicated that the FOV would be less than 2 degrees (~ 1.82 degrees with a 1.25" field stop). I was hoping to get near 3 degrees. Therefore, it sounds like I may be better off getting a ST refractor that can take 2" EP to mount on my SCT.

Thank you again,
Mark

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

An 80mm finder is a nice rich-field instrument, and can easily see all the Messier objects and oodles of NGCs.

#6 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

I am considering one of the WO semi-APOs. Either the ZenithStar 80mm Semi-Apo or the Megrez 80mm II Semi-Apo...

Thanks,
Mark

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

The Megrez II Semi-APO is now offered with a can't refuse package deal. I would have jumped on it had I not got the Megrez II ED Triplet APO....

#8 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:32 AM

The Megrez II Semi-APO is now offered with a can't refuse package deal.

I was debating this very thing... how long until Father's Day? :question: Pehaps I could buy it now and promise not to use it until then! ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics