•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The BEST Binoculars I've EVER Looked Through!

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#76 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

Zeiss 10x40B/GA T*P*
enough magnification for Observing that can be hand held.

#77 milt

milt

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

I think I have to say the Tak 22x60 Astronomer. I've used a fair amount of binoculars of all sizes up to BT100s, and I just could not make the image any better than what I saw thru the Taks.

Ed, I wish Takahashi monitored this forum. If they brought the 22x60 back I'm sure they would enjoy a nice spike in sales. And if they gave it angled viewing, my Miya 22x60 would go up for sale.

Milt
  • Urban Observer likes this

#78 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• Loc: Central New Jersey, USA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

Milt,

Do you expect the view thru the angled version of a Tak 22X60 to be better than your Kowa Highlander 82 mm FL? Or are you wanting a lighter package for quick looks?

We do get more demanding as we dream about our next pair of premium binocular purchase, don't we?

I think a Tak 22X60 45 deg on a Manfrotto 701 HDV head with dual pan handles will be be wonderful as my retirement travel scope. But I highly doubt we will see such a model from Tak.

ERik D

#79 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Takahashi has a booth at NEAF, it can't hurt to ask. I belive they still make the 60mm telescope the Astronomer is based on.

#80 Solar B

Solar B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dunfermline , Scotland

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Edz,s comment seals it for me :cool: ,and yes i agree,Takahashi should bring back the astronomer or similar binocular,
there are people crying out for them over here and i have seen more wanted ads for them on various forums than any other bino,so they definately would sell.

Brian

#81 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

It seems the Takahashi 22 x 60 was introduced at least 10 years before it's time .

If as many people had been as well informed then as they are now , I don't think there would have been any problem finding a larger sales market .

Kenny

#82 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

I submitted a full-length CN Report on the Tak22x60 vs WO22x70 and GO22x85, quite a few weeks ago. However the article is of such length (approx 25 pages) and in need of special formating due to pics and data-tables, that it has not yet been published. I hope to see it soon, however, I do know some extenuating circumstances that may cause its delay even further.

When it finally does get published you will be able to read about some of the many reasons that truly make a binocular BEST.

edz

#83 Solar B

Solar B

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Yes being well informed is what its all about Kenny,i knew nothing of the Taks quality until i read Edz,s report in September,so iam very grateful for that :bow:

Brian

#84 Andresin150

Andresin150

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Ed, have you ever looked trough a fluorite Kowa (Higlander 32x82)???? I've been tempted for those, but because of their price, your opinion would be very valuable :)
I'll want this pair specifically to travel with it to darker places where the 150 Fujinons can hardly go

#85 rouseyfire

rouseyfire

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: loveland,colorado

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

EdZ, looking forward to your report. Your previous report on the same three had me looking at the WO, which sounded as if they had better resolution than the GO and the Taks were not available.

However when I received email back from WO, I changed my mind....

"Yes, binoculars are stil available. It will be shipped from Taiwan by EMS incl. insurance. In the future for repair you will need to send binoculars back to Taiwan, but we do have office in USA also."

Didn't really want some problem and then have to ship back overseas.

#86 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Do you expect the view thru the angled version of a Tak 22X60 to be better than your Kowa Highlander 82 mm FL? Or are you wanting a lighter package for quick looks?

Erik,

I have never looked through the Tak 22x60 but trust EdZ's and owners' judgments here. And yes, a 22x60 is a much lighter and quicker setup than the Highlander.

I also have a lot of respect for the Takahashi FS series refractors. I have looked through FS 78, 102 & 128's and they all had very nice objectives. I will speculate that the objective figure of the Tak 22x60 is at least as good and maybe a bit better than the Kowa 32x82. However, the little Tak is just giving up too much in aperture and magnification to expect a better overall view.

So as long as we're dreaming about Tak making an angled-view binocular, why not one using the 78mm objectives with a bit more magnification? That one would surely go toe-to-toe with the Highlander.

Milt

#87 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

EdZ's full article on the 22x trio is now available.

#88 Andresin150

Andresin150

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Wow, EDZ, what an excellent piece of information! as always, a lot of learning from your articles....
That was some real and scientific information to support why those Taks where The BEST Binoculars you've EVER looked Through!
It would be amazing if you could test some giants, comparing Japanese with Chinese...
also we should start a group to convince Takahashi to produce those 22x60's again!

#89 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Takahashi has a booth at NEAF, it can't hurt to ask. I belive they still make the 60mm telescope the Astronomer is based on.

I think I will take along a PDF printout of my article and hand it to the Tak reps at the Tak booth.

BTW, for some unknown reason, there are a lot of line breaks in the posted version as compared to the formatting of the original article. In some sections, it is much easier to read the formatted version that that posted on CN.

edz

#90 Solar B

Solar B

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Please can you post a link to the preferred version.

Brian

#91 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

That was some real and scientific information to support why those Taks where The BEST Binoculars you've EVER looked Through!
I
also we should start a group to convince Takahashi to produce those 22x60's again!

No doubt the Takahashi Astronomer offers some of the "best quality views" for a 60 mm binocular. But there were some trade offs one must accept. The first was it's narrow 44 deg Afov, the 2nd was the asking price of ~$1,200 for a pair of 60 mm binos.

They may have been the right binocular for some one who already have a pair of Canon 10X42 IS L, Zeiss 15X60 BGAT, Nikon Astrolux 18X70 or the Kowa Highland 82 mm FL. But I am really not sure if production resumes today for the same price I am not sure how many will be rushing out to spend $1,200 for a pair of 22X60s, no matter perfect the percent illumination.... People do offer up the Nikon 7X50 ProStar for sale from time to time too.

ERik D

#92 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Please can you post a link to the preferred version.

Brian

sorry, I'm affraid the only link to any online version is the one posted.

edz

Erik,
the differences in quality in these binoculars goes so far beyond a simple comparison of field of view or any one optical aspect, it's almost meaningless to consider just one aspect such as illumination the difference. For instance, field sharpness gives the narrow Tak the same wide usable fov as the wide GO85. I could go on, but the article does that for me.

edz

#93 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

[
Erik,
...... it's almost meaningless to consider just one aspect such as illumination the difference. For instance, field sharpness gives the narrow Tak the same wide usable fov as the wide GO85. ....

edz

Ed,

I mentioned % illumination of the Tak 22X60 because it was the most salient attribute, most impressive quality of the Tak I recall from your 3 way comparison. Made me wish I could go out and purchase a pair when I first read the report a few month back. Not meant to detract from the quality of the Tak.

However, upon reflection, the same trade offs of narrow Afov and high price came back to me. Narrow planetary EPs sharp to the edge vs. 70 deg Afov EPs with some edge distortion. I guess for general binocular astronomy I prefer wide Afov and can accept minor spikes and flares at the outer 30%. I naturally place the objects I wish to view at the center.

The Nikon ProStar is another good example of priorities. I have no doubt they are one of the very best 7X50s ever for astronomy. But I know I will want more than 7X or 50 deg Afov in a pair of astro binos so I am more likely to go for a pair of 12X50 Superior Es.

I may still go for a pair of Tak 22X60 APOs if a pair comes up at an attractive price. I like to use high power binoculars for long range terrestrial viewing. But a pair of 7X50s is much less likely.

ERik D

#94 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

I/m in Erik's camp re. the tradeoff between AFoV and edge sharpness. To the extent that even at a fire sale price I'd have no real interest in the peephole-afflicted Tak 22X60.

Now, if a 'real' eyepiece could be clapped on the back end, that could be a different matter. At 22X, there's no reason a 70 deg. AFoV cannot be obtained. Other things being equal, one would still enjoy a truly sharp, well illuminated inner 44 deg., and also have the benefit of a more panoramic, easier-to-navigate view.

#95 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

upon reflection, the same trade offs of narrow Afov and high price came back to me

Erik,

Straight-through was the killer for me. I would rather use a well-figured achromat with angled viewing than a superbly figured apochromat with straight-through viewing. My neck is just getting too old for that.

This is how I ended up with the Miya 22x60 instead of the Tak 22x60. This size is wonderful,though - small and compact but with enough aperture and magnification to do real astronomy.

Milt

#96 medinabrit

medinabrit

Viking 1

• Loc: medina ohio USA.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

Post deleted by medinabrit

#97 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

Glenn, you know those barrel extensions probably screw off easily. Putting them on one of your RA assemblies shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure those with the 60mm Tak scopes use WA eyepieces to good effect.

#98 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

I just came to know that Milton Wilcox passed away... RIP, Milt.

Tammy

#99 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

< I just came to know that Milton Wilcox passed away... RIP, Milt. >

Oh my goodness -- that's the saddest , most shocking news I've ever heard about any Cloudy Night's member since I joined up here 7 years ago .

R.I.P Milt , old friend .

Kenny

#100 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

< I just came to know that Milton Wilcox passed away... RIP, Milt. >

Oh my goodness -- that's the saddest , most shocking news I've ever heard about any Cloudy Night's member since I joined up here 7 years ago .

R.I.P Milt , old friend .

Kenny

My exact feelings!

IIRC, we first met on the astromart bino forum several years before.

Milt didn't post as much as some of our more active members on the bino forum. But what he had to say was always enlightening, kind and thoughtful....

ERik D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics