•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

oberwerk 11x56 inspection and performance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 matt gray

matt gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Today is a good day.

The UPS man delivered my new oberwerk 11x56 in perfect condition. They were packed securely, with a big red sticker on the box warning, "DELICATE INSTRUMENT".
My first thought upon opening was, man these thing's are big!
These are my first decent bino's, so I cant compare them to a premium set, but here are my first impressions.

These seem well built, have a solid feel, with the fit and finish better than I expected. Focuser and diopter both move smoothly and The coating's look a deep rich green. The eye lens' are big, have the same beautiful coating's and the eyepiece bar is made of metal, another pleasant surprise.

To look through these is a real joy. Comfortable to hold and collimation seem's dead on, allowing for a relaxed view. The daytime images are quite sharp and steady, giving me what I would call a three dimentional effect.
There is a small amount of distortion & curvature in the outer 15% of the field and strangely, it seem's to be bordered by a halo. Not at all a big deal.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these binocular's. :grin:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate tonight and I'll report their performance under the star's.

matt
xt10
oberwerk 11x56

#2 cota_scope

cota_scope

Ranger 4

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

matt also have a pair and they are one of my favorites of the oberwerk line. john

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:59 PM

Matt,
Congrats on the Obies. I really like mine.

#4 thane

thane

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:27 PM

I just ordered my Obie 11x56's yesterday. All of the CN members seemed to really like them and they are (I hope) on that razors edge of handheld vs. tripod, so they work well for both.

#5 matt gray

matt gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

Thank's Scott,
You had an influence!

matt

#6 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

Thane - :waytogo:

Matt - :bow: (I'm always good as a bad influence)

#7 matt gray

matt gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:29 AM

Here's more of my rookie report on the oberwerk 11x56.

They didn't give quite as steady an image as in the daytime, but still doable. Open clusters were beautiful, showing ton's of brilliant color, and the resolving power was also impressive in M41 and M38. Jupiter showed 4 moon's and M81/M82 was also easily seen.
The only thing I didn't like was they brightened the back ground sky a little more than I'm used to, but this was money well spent.

matt

#8 johnno

johnno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

Hi All,
Based on Scotts Review of the Oberwerk 11x56 I decided to buy a pair here in Australia,They are not marketed under the Oberwerk brand here,but looking at the available specs,they appear to be the same.
Mine are obviously,broadband fully Multicoated,BAK-4 prisms,
and as Scott said,are on the limit of hand holdability.
I was very surprised and pleased at just how bright they are.
Very Impressed,Thanks Scott.
Regards.John

#9 Penarin

Penarin

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

Congrats on your new arrival.

If you guys keep talking like thise I'm gonna wind up with some Oberwerks in my collection :)

I don't need any more binoculars, but they sure are fun to use.

#10 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

I don't need any more binoculars, but they sure are fun to use.

Yes you DO! :-))

You need at least one 20X80 with 70 deg APFOV to complement your 8X and 10X Binos and your Scope.,,,,Think of twin 80mm correct image refractors with 156% more light collecting area than your 10X50!

Erik D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics