•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C11 / CI700 first light

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

OK, the skies cleared a little last night so I had a chance to take the C11 out. The seeing was horrible (Saturn wiggled awfully at 100x), and the transparency was bad, but of course I was too anxious to try out the scope. A few quick conclusions:

- this thing takes a long time to cool down, much longer than an 8". A Lymax or something like that is in order. After one hour outside, if I stuck my finger inside the baffle, the air inside still felt warm.
- conditions were so bad, the schmidt corrector was dewed up before the scope had cooled down!
- image shift is bad. It is even noticeable at 50x. Glad there is a zif.
- The CI700 is AWESOME. It's rock solid (even at 350x, the image does not budge when I focus by hand), and the movements are unbelievably smooth. No "grip" feeling when you start slewing (you know, the feeling that you start pushing, the handbrake goes off, then if moves), no rough spots... the SP-DX looks like an EQ1 next to it.
- the motors are so quiet that for a second I was alarmed they might not work, and they have really zero backlash. The only complaint being that the highest speed is 16x so you still have to slew by hand.
- taking a 30lb OTA from 5 feet off the ground at 1 A.M. is goint to take some using to.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:10 AM

Cool beans Matt.

The CI700 is an early Losmandy/Celestron collaboration isn't it (?).
I almost bought this mount last summer used.
Sounds like it works well.

Be careful handling that OTA in the dark, I had one scary close-call when mine was newly purchased.
(thank god for the handle is all I can say.... :grin:)

#3 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

The CI700 is an early Losmandy/Celestron collaboration isn't it (?).

Sure is. It's basically a rebadged G-11. I have seen some people say it's actually nicer than the G-11 for some reason. Don't know how that could be. They are a VERY nice mount.

#4 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

Matt,

Welcome to the world of BIG cats with closed tubes . My C-11 woud take upwards of 3 hours to stabilize :foreheadslap:

Invest in a flexible dewsheild from Orion. That was all it took to save mine from dewing up.

Another trick is to point the tube so it's parallel to the ground while cooling down. Having the tube pointed anywhere near the sky without some form of Dew prevention is going to prove useless.

Mounting it in the dark can be scary but not half as bad as me throwing the 12" on a wedge in the dark by myself :shocked:

Good luck with it. :)

#5 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

Matt - Did your CI700 have upgraded worm gears? If not, its a highly recommened upgrade for old G11 mounts.

#6 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

Well, I have nothing but good things to say about the gears so far.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics