•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Disassembling and cleaning of SCT. Advice wanted.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:42 AM

I have need to take apart and clean metal shavings out of a C9.25. I believe the particles come from the previous owner's inept attempt to mount a dovetail. It appears that I can just remove the screws from the corrector lens cell. Most of the metal particles are lodged between the glass and the cell. Some are stuck to the inside of the corrector plate and a small number appear on the mirror.

I tried a quick look through it last night and saw no image problems but the seeing was lousy and only Jupiter was visible.

The seller was selling his C11 at the same time, too. Wonder if it had the same problem. :flame:

#2 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Les,

I have taken both of my SCT's apart in the past. You can follow the same directions I did HERE They are excellent directions and when followed will provide you with a hassle free procedure. Remember to mark the front of the corrector for proper orientation when putting it back together.

It's not hard, just time consuming. If you take your time and return the corrector to it's proper orientation collimation should not be that far off and should be easy to correct.

Any other questions drop me a PM or another post.

#3 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:50 AM

That's a great link and it does reduce the level of anxiety about this project. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics