•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tight Knobs !! OOooo dear me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 LeeRich

LeeRich

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hi, just fitted some Bobs Knobs style knobs to my LX90 and i noticed that when its in semi correct collimation (by that i mean the 5' stand back and weigh it up test) 2 of the knobs are at the end of their travel, and i have to tighten them quite tight to achive concentric rings.

What is yours like when collimated ? are they all free to rotate or is it normal to have a tight 1 or 2 ?

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,

Lee.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:52 PM

Lee,
When I installed them on my LX200, they all engaged about the same, and all were about the same tension.
I used the daylight collimation method here to collimate by eye.
It came out close enough only a minor tweak was necessary at night.
You should be able to achieve near-collimation with the screws all about equal tension.
If they are not, it could be a sign the corrector plate isn't sitting level, or worse, that the secondary cell is loose and tilted significantly relative to the primary.
I sugest loosening the screws until none is tight, then gradually tightening each until snugness "JUST" starts, then evaluating concentricity (as in the link above) and adjusting.
I suspect very little extra tightness will get you set up.

"If at first you don't succeed........."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics