•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Magellan I, II and GOTO capabilities

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:45 AM

Hello experts!

I have an LX200 OTA on an LX10 fork mount and I'm wondering what the possibilities were for upgrading the drives or obtaining GOTO capability with a Meade system.

As it stands I believe I can either buy an LX200 fork mount with drives et. al. (I've never seen one for sale on its own) or try and purchase a Magellan I hand controller. (I also see there is a Magellan II hand controller but think I should clear my confusion before even looking at what this does.)

I always try and do some research before asking questions but in doing this I can't find much about the Magellan I hand controller which was an option on the LX10 mount. :confused:

I'm guessing that it doesn't provide a GOTO function, but I am not sure what it really does or how it works! At a guess I would say it provides a more accurate way of aligning the scope on a set of co-ordinates, but how does it do this?

Does the Magellan I move the scope for the user, or does it simply give a set of co-ordinates and reveals when the scope has been accurately aligned with these co-ordinates? And do you ever see Magellan I controllers on the second-hand market?

I'm sorry for all of these questions, it seems as though I only ever post questions or off-topic nuances and I wish I could advise people more whilst waiting for the experience you have all got! Anyway, if you can enlighten me about the Magellan gadget or point me to a website I would be most grateful. :grin:

Jason

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:58 AM

Does the Magellan I move the scope for the user, or does it simply give a set of co-ordinates and reveals when the scope has been accurately aligned with these co-ordinates? And do you ever see Magellan I controllers on the second-hand market?

Hi, Jason.

Mag I consists of a set of optical encoders with hardware to mount it to the telescope plus a handbox which decodes the position info. Once aligned, it lets you select an object and then displays the difference in position between the desired object and where the telescope is pointed. You move the scope until it shows zeroes and there you are.The dobsonian version of the Mag I shows up fairly often. The LX10 version would come with mounting hardware to fit that telescope. Another source for encoders/brackets/handbox is Jim's Mobile:
http://www.jimsmobile.com/

You'll need to install the encoders first unless a previous owner has left a set on it already.

They are pretty effective; I've owned a couple of Dobs with encoders and they do make it easier to find objects.

There is a variety of handboxes; all are compatible with the standard encoders so you can mix & match. Most are made by Tangent (including the Mag I and some of the JMI models) and are relabelled and sold by various vendors. Two premium units are the Sky Commander and the Argo Navis. Pretty much anything else you see is a Tangent.

#3 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 03 December 2003 - 08:24 PM

Every once in a while you will see a set of forks show up on AstroMart. I almost yanked mine off to put the scope on a EQ mount, but I found out the OTA was to heavy for my mount so I just sold the whole scope.

Charles

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:37 AM

John and Charles, thanks ever so much for your help. I think the magic word here is "encoders"! I will do some google searches and see what I can find out about Sky Commander and Argo Navis. Hey, "Argo Navis"!! The ship Jason and his Argonauts sailed on in search for the Golden Fleece! :lol: (Although we share the name I don't have any little Argonauts.) I will also keep on the lookout for some LX200 forks. This will probably be my first project for 2004! :grin: best wishes, Jason

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics