•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200GPS question about the GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaveMess

DaveMess

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:00 AM

I've been forced to learn about my new scope indoors because it has been raining every day. Last night the scope could get a GPS fix indoors, but tonight it can't. Just curious if this is because the fact the scope is indoors makes a GPS fix a hit or miss proposition? Just curious.

#2 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

gps needs a clear view of the sky..maybe it is further in the room etc.. not sure if heavy clouds will block it or not but it works just like satalite tv, it just can see more sats so has better reception. could tryit close to a window.

#3 DaveMess

DaveMess

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:53 AM

Just tried it outdoors under cloudy skies. Same problem. It figured out where i was by city but still didn't give me specific stars for alignment

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

Clouds can effect GPS receivers, I have friends that have Garmin running watches that have GPS receivers in them. You need a clear area and clear skies for them to work best

#5 Darren1968

Darren1968

Apollo

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

I have been boating for years, and using GPS navigation.
You definitely need to have an open view of the sky, and heavy cloud cover will result in a poor/or no GPS signal.
If you are close to a window, you may be able to recieve a signal from 1 or 2 satellites, but you need to have a wider view of the sky to capture a signal from additional satellites. This will help ensure more accurate coordinates.
Hope this helps.

Darren

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

Apart form your sealing the falling rain will block your signal, so the GPS can't get a fix. Your lucky when your getting a fix inside your house anyway. Always tri to keep open space between GPS antenna and the sky above without any obstacles! Even three leaves can sometimes block a fix!
Bonzo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics