•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Samsung SDC-435 IR Filter removal - six easy steps

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:11 AM

Step 6: Put it back together minus the housing and filter!.

Well done BC - excellent tutorial :bow:I continue to use the SX Lodestar unfiltered in my 30cm Meade SCT + focal reducer @ f/3.7 [so its not completely lens-free ;)] but images seem pretty sharp.

Unfiltered on my small 70mm f/5 achromat give bloated red/IR stars and there's a shift in colour balance for these stars to cyan through the IR excess - probably cured with an IR-block filter and slight lost of cam 'speed' :rainbow: For the moment I'm banging off many faint DSOs via the SCT f/3.7 set-up despite my NELVM 3.5 London skies ;)

#27 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Nice job Brian.

Wish mine was that easy, it's the glued on type that was featured earlier.

Ahhhh, so the SDC-435 comes in 2 versions???

One with a glued IR filter and one with a screwed on IR filter housing as Scout has shown above?

Am I correct, or has Sky Captain made the same mistake as Scout originally did by not knowing that the glued on filter actually unscrews from the back?

If it does come in 2 versions, how would I know which one I was buying?

#28 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

I think he meant "featured earlier" as in earlier cameras in general- the only difference in models of the SDC-435 have to do with video output (NTSC or PAL)and power options- for 12v NTSC camera you want the SDC-435ND-

#29 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:19 AM

I think he meant "featured earlier" as in earlier cameras in general- the only difference in models of the SDC-435 have to do with video output (NTSC or PAL)and power options- for 12v NTSC camera you want the SDC-435ND-

Ahhhh, thanks Scout.

That's OK then.
I was thinking of getting a 435 direct from USA coz I can't get one here in Oz, but then I thought I might unfortunately get stuck with the model with the IR filter glued in.

If 100% the 435 has the removable 'screw-in housing' IR filter then I should go ahead and order one.
Those ones from South Korea on ebay are nicely priced, even after I convert to Oz dollars. :)

But now you have me more confused :lol:

'NTSC or PAL, for 12v NTSC camera you want the SDC-435ND'

I would've just ordered any 435 :question:

#30 will w

will w

Apollo

• Loc: oxpatch,ms

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

hi dragon man, here is a place you can see the sdc-435 at. 123 security products.com the cam on this site lists as.SDC-435 samsung techwin 1/3 high resolution day&night camera. $152.95. if you go to this site there is a search box in upper left corner.type in SDC-435 hit search it will take you to page that has info on cam. i have 1 now and another 1 should be here by friday. the IR filter unscrews on this one.scout72 has pics on how to remove it. i run mine on 12V 500ml. you can allso run it on 24v. i hope this helps you out. clr skys will w

#31 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

hi dragon man, here is a place you can see the sdc-435 at. 123 security products.com the cam on this site lists as.SDC-435 samsung techwin 1/3 high resolution day&night camera. $152.95. if you go to this site there is a search box in upper left corner.type in SDC-435 hit search it will take you to page that has info on cam. i have 1 now and another 1 should be here by friday. the IR filter unscrews on this one.scout72 has pics on how to remove it. i run mine on 12V 500ml. you can allso run it on 24v. i hope this helps you out. clr skys will w

Thanks Will.
Yeah, I've been reading up on them and their specs in the SamsungTechwin website.
I just got confused in the earlier conversation about IR filter removal. All is good now :)

#32 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

This is the manual on the SDC-435

http://www.samsungte..._Eng_091016.pdf

#33 will w

will w

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

hi mega256, thanks for the link. i had it,but lost it. i coppied to pdf file so i wont lose it again.clr skys will w

#34 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Brian
Is there any reason not to put the housing back with out the filter??

#35 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Dragon man-

Yes, the options can be confusing- what are you going to be using for video capture/ viewing with this camera? Where are you going to be using it? (in the field on 12v power or always at home near a plug- what is the power standard in Australia anyway? )

#36 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Dragon man-

Yes, the options can be confusing- what are you going to be using for video capture/ viewing with this camera? Where are you going to be using it? (in the field on 12v power or always at home near a plug- what is the power standard in Australia anyway? )

using an ED80 mainly, on DSO's (I'm not into Planets and Moon much).

Video capture: Have no idea yet as I've never done this before but it will be with a laptop and video-grabber cable.

There is mains power here but I run everything (mount, heaters, DSLR, etc) on 12v adaptors plugged into mains power, so I will do the same with any camera. So the answer to that is 12v.

Here in Oz the power is 240v.
I can buy a 240v AC/12v DC adaptor locally.

#37 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

You should be fine with the SDC-435ND model then, as long as you are not running video through anything PAL specific (like a DVR).

You will need a power supply, BNC to RCA cable or adapter and a c-mount to 1.25" adapter to connect camera to your scope-

Do not remove the IR Filter if you are mainly going to be using the ED80 unless you want to mess around with special filters.

#38 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

Thanks Scout :waytogo:

#39 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

scout

#40 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

None that I can think of- maybe better circulation if you are adding a fan?

#41 will w

will w

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

hey scuot72, if you take the IR filter out. do you put the black plastic houseing back on in front of the chip??? i have a fan mounted inside mine,drilled 4- 1/4 holes in the front & 1 on each side. i took the filter & housing out, but i put it all back in. wow, talk about everthing pink. will a screw in IR filter work?? i got one in a RGB set.i havent had time to really get the cam outside and see what it can do. clr skys will w

#42 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Don't think it matters much regarding the black housing- I have left mine out.

A screw in IR filter will work in the c-1.25 adapter if it is threaded fro filters- mine is, but I have not been using filter- I just use the custom white balance- which I guess is not that good based on comments from NSN viewers!

I have also used the auto white balance- there is a section in the camera manual about using Auto White balance or you can google it.

#43 will w

will w

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

scout72,i guess this will take a little time to get it all down.the moon is up. gona take ever thing outside and see what i can do. gona try out my 2.8-12 lens let the 105 cool down. thanks for the help. clr skys will w

#44 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

Wanted to bump this with an edit but too late to edit- I just did another IR filter removal and realized that step four is not necessary- you don't need to remove the 4 screws in the corners and take the front board off- you just have to unscrew the two black screws and the filter and housing will drop right out of the front- makes things quicker and easier. - you smart guys probably already figured this out!

#45 will w

will w

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

hi brian, your right on not removeing the 4 screws to get the ir filter out.the first time i took the 4 screws out then i put the filter back in same way. the last time i took it out. i got to looking at the small black screws. i unscrewed them just to see what would happen the filter fell out.so takeing the 2 screws out is a little quicker than 4 screws,but it will work either way.clr skys will w

#46 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

I just received my SDC-435 today. Is it necessary to remove the IR filter for deep sky? If so, what is it about the IR filter that hampers using the camera for deep sky?

Thanks,

Richard Turner

#47 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Is it necessary to remove the IR filter for deep sky? If so, what is it about the IR filter that hampers using the camera for deep sky?

Is it necessary? No
Will it help you see more if you take it out? Yes

The stock filter is not designed for Astronomical use and cutoff at 656nm IR range is around 50% or more with stock filter. That is what it hampers.

You will need to add back in another type of uv/ir filter if you will be using with any lenses in your optical path.

You will need to tweak white balance if you remove filter.

#48 Connor Walls

Connor Walls

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Got to step 5 and removed the second to last screw, got to last one, and for some reason, instead of the screw coming out, the screw driver just basically stripped the grooves out of the screw. :(

It was weird because it easily took out the same sized screw just moments before. I'm going to try to use a smaller screw driver, but I don't know if it'll work. Now I'm stuck with the filter still on and don't know what to do. ): Any thoughts?

#49 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Skylab

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Connor, did you have any success? It has been several months since I removed my filter. The filter is just sitting in there loose...is there a way you could rotate (carefully! If you hit the slightest bit of resistance, stop) the black housing to get it to fall out?

#50 Connor Walls

Connor Walls

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Won't turn, tried it earlier Michael :confused: I was thinking of maybe taking it to a computer repair shop, as they may have dealt with that sort of stuff before. I just don't want want to have to buy a whole new camera because of a stupid screw. :(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics