•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar Suite Communication w/ LX90(Autostar497)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#26 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

Ok great for the info, go to your control panel/system/device manager,(1) goto ports(COM & LPT) and tell me what is listed when you press the + and the list drops down,(2) goto the modem click the drop down + and look for Advanced Port Settings, open it up and tell me what COM# is listed,(3) goto your System Information, click on Hardware Resouces and go into Conflicts/Sharing, while in their goto the top where Edit it and click Select All the Copy (you cannot us the right mouse button to do select and copy in this forum), past info back on this thread, then go down to IRQs and Copy & Past that info to this thread and I will have a look at it.

Device manager
Communications Port (COM 1)
ECP Printer Port (LPT 1)
Modem does not state a COM # says Conextant D480MDCV.9X modem

Sytem Info, hardware resources has no selection for conflict sharing

:thinking:

Thanks for your help.

#27 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

Well, here is an interesting development. I started playing around with the telescope tab. Changed the baud rate back to 9600 and then clicked on protocol and selected Autostarsuite via comm port. Got a warning that it couldn't detect obstructions. The little telescope icon lit up on the tool bar. I clicked on that and it will actually move the scope around. When I go back to remote control handbox the connect checkbox is not checked. Check it and it says the port is in use.

If I try to connect from the remote handbox it says "initializing" but never goes any farther.

#28 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

So, it looks like the computer and the telescope do talk to each other now, at least a little, sometimes. I am not convinced they talk to each other consistently or in all the manners intended. It still won't connect in remote handbox mode and when I go to the imager software and click on the telescope tab it says the scope is not connected.

I claim that there is progress here. It's just hard to spot.

#29 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:49 PM

Take what you can...

#30 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:02 AM

Keep it at 9600 for now, but when updating the software in the scope can take a long time at that speed, change all your speeds in scope and com port to 9600, start from the beginning again but do not start your autostar suite software, let the scope start up and initialize then do a fake one star or what ever it has, alignment, let the scope go where ever it wants then press enter, there may be a possibility the RS-232 port on the scope is not initializing until a certain sequence has be performed, now open autostar software and try to connect.
What version of Windows are you using??
Also when starting scope, tell me what version of software is the scope displaying at start up.

#31 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

Goggles-

My laptop runs WindowsXP, service pack 2 is installed.
When I turn on the scope before it switches to "Initializing", I read "©00 Meade [21E] Autostar"

I let it initialize and did a fake alignment. It was successful, imagine that. ;) Started Autostarsuite and tried the remote handbox first. Same result, it has said initializing for about 2 minutes now (actual watch time.) Turned off remote hand box.

Tried protocol "connect via com port", got the obstruction warning message. Last alignment star was Alpheratz. I selected nearby M31 on the star map. I hit the slew scope button and it moved, I assume to the fake M31. No way to tell if it tracks.

The button for telescope control is lit but when I select it the direction buttons on the control don't move the scope and it doesn't seem to matter whether I have an object selected on the starmap or not.

I tried the telescope tab in the DSI imager and it still says no connection.

Hey, we really seem to be getting somewhere here. :jump:

Thanks for your patience and help.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:51 AM

Your version of firmware is on the old side(21E) the latest for you hand box is 33EI, I dont see a history of fixes that have been available for the 497, its possible you need the newer version of firmware installed, its possible that your problem was a common issue (but I cant prove that) here is the link, http://www.meade.com/support/auto.html
get the ASU client app Windows version 3.61 the the 497 firmware 33EI, its 473kb and at 9600 baud its going to take a while, have you ever updated you hand box before because I dont want you to have a bad transfer then it has to get fixed in safe mode.

#33 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:29 AM

Your first problem is the Firmware version. The Autostar must be running v30b (497) or 2.0e (LX200gps) or newer for proper communication.

After you upgrade the firmware, you need to run the Network server app in the autostar suite program. You can't communicate with all the various apps at the same time using just the connect via com port option. You have to use the Network server. Then you can use the starmap, remote scope, remote handbox and imaging apps at the same time.

POst when you have upgraded your firmware and I'll help you out with the Network server setup. :)

#34 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:55 AM

Goggles & Grizz- Fantastic, I knew we were getting somewhere. Goggles, no I have never updated the handbox before. Until I got the Autostar Suite I didn't really have the need. I had heard the update transfer caused problems sometimes. Is there anything I can do to assure a good update?

Thanks again to both of you.

#35 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Here are a few tips. Don't use the computer for anything else while updating. Don't let the computer go into sleep mode.

Start up the scope. You don't have to do anything else as far as the scope goes. Hook up the serial cable to the AS and computer, Start up the AutoStar updater program, it should find the scope(if you have the com port setup correctly) the Autostar screen should read downloading. Also make sure you have fresh batteries in the scope or better yet use a Power supply.

Now click on the UPDATE AUTOSTAR SOFTWARE NOW button on the screen. A box will pop up select your Autostar flavor from the dropdown box. Select the internet box and click the CHECK WWW FOR LATEST VERSION button. It will search Meade's site and tell you the latest version is 33EI. Click OK then wait for the update to finish, you can see the progress in the lower left hand portion of the screen.

You can choose to update at 57,600 instead of the 9600 (default) baud rate, its much faster. To do this (before you do the stuff I typed above) Click on the options menu item in the AS updater select MAX BAUD RATE and highlight 57,600. YOu can select your Com port (if you need to ) in that same options menu.

Good luck, its not that hard after you do it a few times. :)

#36 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

Grizz-

The handbox has been successfully updated to version 33EI :jump:

You're right. It was relatively painless and took about 12 minutes start to finish. I wasn't able to select the baud rate in the update options menu. The button was there but grayed out. So, I selected the baud rate in the telescope communications menu.

#37 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

Is it connecting now?

#38 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

Goggles-

It is connecting through the com port as before. I haven't tested the other methods just yet.

#39 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Goggles-
It connects by the remote handbox now and displays the full menu. Scope slews. Did a fake alignment and it seems to point at something.

It also seems to accept commands from the starmap. You have to turn off remote handbox. It allows one or the other but not both.

Still no connection in the DSI program at the telescope tab.

We're getting there. One step at a time but we're getting there. Soon I may have pictures of something other than the vents on the school about a 1/2 mile away. :lol:

#40 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:54 PM

I'm curious if you applied Meade's update to the AutoStar Suite? Update You should be running version 3.18 of the AS suite and 2.3 of the DSI imaging program.

#41 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

Grizz-

AS Suite is v 3.18. I am unable to find an identifier for DSI seperately. There is no Help menu on the DSI screen and when I right click on it in the program menu and select properties it simply references AS. Shows it as having been created 3/27.

#42 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:53 AM

Hmmm....Ah its in the About menu item in the DSI screen. Your right there is no Help menu item.

#43 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

Grizz-

I don't see an "About" menu item in the DSI screen. :shrug:

#44 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

Interesting. When you are on the starmap screen and click on the IMAGE menu item there is a dropdown that should have DSI IMAGING when you select that the Autostar Envisage (DSI Screen) should come up. The 3 menu item at the top shoud be FILE, SETTINGS... and ABOUT... You don't see these 3 items at the top of the screen? If you don't then download and install the patch in the link I posted. Then let me know what you get.

#45 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

Grizz-

I downloaded and installed the patch. Sure enough, now there is a third menu item on the DSI Screen "About" and it says the DSI Imaging program is v. 2.3. Oh, goody!

#46 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:32 PM

Grizz- Sorry it's v. 2.31

#47 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

Ok 2.31 is good. :) We can continue. Let me know the results you get from the info I sent you via PM. We can continue the conversation here.

#48 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

From Grizz: ". . .now that you have installed the patch what happens when you try and connect to the scope while in the DSI imaging portion of the software? Try and connect the scope to just the imaging application. Don't connect to the starmap. Lets see what happens. Click on the telescope tab, type in the correct comm port # and click connect. Tell me what you get."

I got the same connect error: "Unable to connect Com 1"

#49 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

Are you still able to connect to the starmap and remote handbox apps after installing the patch?

#50 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

Those still work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics