•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar Suite Communication w/ LX90(Autostar497)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#51 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

Hmmm...Ok later today I will connect my scope to the computer and see what I can find. I'm finding it odd that it will connect to the starmap and not the DSI portion of the software. Stay tuned. :)

#52 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

Ok I was fooling around with this and I could not get the same problem? The only time it would not connect to the Envisage (DSI) screen is if I left it connected to the starmap screen. Are you sure you are disconnecting from the starmap portion of the software? That would be TELESCOPE>PROTOCOL=NONE? As oppposed to TELESCOPE>PROTOCOL=TELESCOPE VIA COM PORT? (which is what you use to connect to the starmap portion). They cannot be used together...well not in this application anyway. We will get to that after we figure this out. :)

So...being sure you are not connected to the starmap you would open the DSI screen then click the telescope tab then type in com1 where it says server or comx (or whatever com port # you are using) then click connect.

#53 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Grizz-

I was pretty sure of the answer but I ran through the drill again. I can connect through com 1 to both the star map and the remote handbox, one at a time. Then I tested the DSI. I started by checking the telescope menu protocol item. I made sure it was checked as "none." Then I went to imaging and selected DSI. When the Evisage window came up I clicked on the telescope tab. It designated Com 1 in the appropriate window and I clicked connect. I got the same error message. Could not connect through com 1.

#54 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

Ah Ok. Type com1 no space between com and 1 :) See what happens. I think I know what will happen. ;)

#55 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

Grizz-

Ya gotta be kiddin!!! Boy do I feel like a Knucklhead!!!! As I am sure you already know,I can now connect to my telescope by the telescope tab on the Envisage window.

Can't wait to try it out on a real celestial target. But, the forecast says the Knucklhead Meterologic Constant shall remain "constant" for the next several days. Probably right past new moon.

Sometime, I'll tell you about my plan for making big money with a business called Star Parties by Rain Dancer.

#56 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

I've done things like that. Lucky for me it was not tracked on the Internet. :lol:

Good catch Grizz! :bow:

#57 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

Sorry it took so long to figure it out. Now we can tackle the "Get everything working at the same time" problem. (Starmap,Envisage,remote handbox) This should be fun! Let me know when your ready. :)

Thanks Ron. :)

#58 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

You're too modest man. I was never going to figure that one out. Thank you very much. I'm ready to work on getting everything going at once as soon as you are ready to teach.

Once again. Thank you for your help.

#59 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

Your most welcome. :)

Ok here we go.

First Plug in all cables, power up telescope, get past time,date,daylight and site.

Then navigate to a windows explorer window and get to
c:\Program Files\Meade\AutostarSuite

Then look for NETSCOPE.exe double click it(its the AS network server) The network server window will open with an IDLE message in the status bar. Put a 1 in the scope port box, this is the com port your scope is hooked up to. Dome port you can put 2 (even if you don't have a dome) and in the Network Port box put 5401. Click set password and enter one you will remember. Click the LISTEN box. The status box should say "Listening on port 5401"

Lets get the Starmap up and running. Start Autostar suite and when the starmap screen appears go to Telescope
>Protocol and choose Autostar via Network.

A little window ("Remote Telescope Address") will appear with two areas for (or with) numbers. Put 127.0.0.1 into the Network Address, and 5401 into Port. Click CONNECT.
Now a password prompt will appear, enter your password, Click OK.

Now you should be talking to the scope over the Network. In the NETSCOPE window the status bar should have changed to Connected to: 127.0.0.1

Now while the starmap is working lets get the remote handbox into the action!

On the starmap screen choose PROTOCOL>REMOTE HANDBOX (while noticing that the Autostar Via network option is still checked)

On the bottom of the remote handbox screen is an area labeled Network Adress/Port with 2 white boxes in the first box put 127.0.0.1 and in the smaller while box to the right of the first put 5401, click the connect box another password prompt will appear enter the same password as before. Click OK.

Now it will take about a minute or so for the scope to talk to the Remote handbox app. iT should display "Initializing" in the big window. You should see the Autostar menu tree start to build on the Remote handbox screen. After the menu tree is finished you should have control of the scope via the remote handbox as well as with the starmap. You can now open the scope control window by clicking on the little icon of a telescope in the starmap toolbar.

Now lets get the DSI screen up and connected,

Open the Envisage application, Click the TELESCOPE tab, and enter 127.0.0.1 in the while box that says Server or comx (thats where youu typed Com1 in our last episode) :)

Now if all went well you will be able to operate the scope with all portions of the AutoStar suite software as one happy family, living in harmony and getting along with each other without a hitch. :)

Let me know how it goes.

#60 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:45 AM

Grizz-

I need to take this slow and a step at a time. So, I am printing off your last message. I plan to number the steps, counting spaces between words and numbers, and then take them one at a time. I'll keep you posted. This may take a little while though. Thanks for your patience.

#61 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:21 PM

Grizz-

You are the man!!!! Your instructions worked like a charm. I can't wait to get out tomorrow night and try to capture some images. If the weather will just cooperate. I don't suppose you have any magic that clears away clouds do you? Thank you so much for your help and patience! :bow:

#62 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:38 PM

He's our man! :bow:

#63 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

He's our man!

:rainbow:

I'm glad it worked out for ya! Sorry about the clouds if I could do somthing about that I really would be sumthin'

:lol:

#64 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

ARRRRRRRGGH!! It's been cloudy and overcast all weekend until Sunday. Sunday was severe clear all day, right up to sunset. Sky now 80% covered. Abandon hope al ye who set up a scope anywhere near Knucklhead. The Knucklhead Meterologic Constant shall curse you by association.

#65 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

Rick, when I bought my LX200 last May 2004, I was hard pressed for a good scope night, it either rained, overcast, or the weather teased me by being clear during the day and about 30min after I set my scope up the clouds move in, I take down the scope and the sky clears then all of a sudden I start getting really clear nights, the only problem is it's November and cold, there is a curse I think.

#66 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

Goggles-

An hour after my last post, 10:30 pm, I went out to play ball with the dog before bed. We use a ball that has flashing lights inside, red of course. The sky had cleared and was full of stars. Of course, I had a 6:15am flight to catch. It helps to know that not I alone am cursed.

#67 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

Grizz & Goggles-

I set everything up yesterday afternoon. Got the focal reducer on. Collimated the scope. Trained the drives. Aligned the finder scope. Hooked up the computer. Checked communication with the telescope, it worked just fine. Took some more terrestrials. Re-read Suk's article on getting started with the DSI. Clear, sunny skies the whole time.

You know what's coming next, don't you! Yep, clouds at sunset. I figured, give it chance, the temperature change may bring clearing. It often does.

Still waiting!!

#68 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Rick you and I have the same curse.

#69 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

What's the old saw? "Misery loves company!" Come on in and sit a spell Goggles.

#70 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:56 PM

Grizz-
Clouds finally cleared. Reasonably clear night with somewhat marginal seeing.

Now I have a new case of trouble I'm hoping you can help solve. The Autostar Suite and Remote handbox connect ok. But only for about a half hour. Then all of sudden I get a message: "Communication timed out. Connection failed." What's up with that? Any idea?

#71 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:00 PM

Grizz-
Clouds finally cleared. Reasonably clear night with somewhat marginal seeing.

Now I have a new case of trouble I'm hoping you can help solve. The Autostar Suite and Remote handbox connect ok. But only for about a half hour. Then all of sudden I get a message: "Communication timed out. Connection failed." What's up with that? Any idea?

Handbox says "Proc. Trap 2" After a while I think it goes dark.

#72 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

I'm thinking that the problem may arise from trying to use the remote handbox on the laptop and the regular handbox at the same time. When I'm centering something in the eyepiece it's convenient to use the handbox, when I'm at the laptop it's convenient to use the remote. However, I wonder if that is sending too many, and perhaps too many, signals to the handbox. When that happens maybe it throws up its hands and shuts down. As soon as I can I plan to try using the star map and the DSI without turning on the remote handbox. We'll see if that helps.

#73 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:54 AM

I think I've used both the remote handbox and the hand controler at the same time? But I'll check it out just to be sure. I have not heard of this problem before. Let me do some checking. I'll get back to you on this. :)

#74 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Grizz. Looks like we should have clear skies for the next several nights. Just in time for a lovely 2d quarter moon. I'll try the starmap and DSI alone and report back as well. Clear skys to you, too.

#75 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

Grizz-
I got the scope set up and aligned last night. I just started trying to operate it in the normal mode without tying to hook it to the computer at all. I was able to do the alignment just fine. Then I selected solar system from the objects menu and selected Jupiter. As soon as I hit GoTo it showed the proc trap 2 error. I connected the handbox to the computer and did another Autostar update. After the update I disconnected the hand box from the computer, realigned and everything seemed to be operating normally again. The scope slewed to the correct objects and everything was near center. My guess is that the update reset something that had gotten messed up. For the life of me I don't know what messed it up in the first place. We should have another good evening so I'm going to give it a try without the remote handbox first then try adding the remote handbox in. I'll report.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics