•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8 RA Knob has play.......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Night Surfer

Night Surfer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hi...
I have a Classic Orange C8 I got about a month ago. There were a few stars out last night (1st time in 3 weeks!) and I decided to do a star collimation test (passed :)). I noticed that the RA adjustment knob has somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 turn "slop" or "play" to it.
Is this normal?
Can it be adjusted??
Thx,
-NS-

#2 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

is it the knob itself? if the ra and dec knob are the same switch them and see if the slop goes away if so order some new knobs.

#3 Night Surfer

Night Surfer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

I will check tonight when I get home, but I am farly certain that it is not just the knob. I can hear it "catching" inside as I move it from either end of the slop.

#4 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

Hi NS,

The R.A. knob on the older C-8s is connected to a shaft containing a small pinion gear. The pinion drives a larger gear that moves the scope in R.A when you turn the knob.

If you can truly turn the knob 1/2 turn before it engages, and you're sure the set screw on the knob is properly tightened, it's possible that the pinion is loose on the shaft.

But, checking requires a major tear down. So, before doing anything, be sure the clutch itself is also properly adjusted. I don't believe there is a way to actually adjust the mesh of spur and pinion gears, but if the pinion is loose, you could probably super-glue it. Actually, my best advice is to take a look at a similar scope owned by a buddy. That will give you a reference point.

Keep in mind that there is some play in all these type C-8s RA knobs.

Good luck,

Don :usa:

#5 Night Surfer

Night Surfer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

well...ahem.....turns out it was just the set screw after all.
Embarassed but relieved :o

#6 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

Hey, all's well that ends well :o

Don :usa:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics