•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

8" Meade SCT Piggyback options.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hello all.

I posted this earlier in the LX forums but I think it got deleted?!?!? Maybe this is the more appropriate place to ask...

I would like to piggy back my DSLR to my scope. its an 8" SCT (the LXD55 Series) Im getting the feeling that it is somewhat of a rarity but it shares a lot in common with the LX200 series 8". Is there a specific or universal type adapter i can use?

Also if I want to piggy back a good APO manual guide / wide field scope to it, what would you reccommend or what is available to mount it to the SCT?

#2 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:01 PM

One of these?
Piggyback Bracket

#3 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

I have something very similar i bought off astromart. .
then i added a guide scope so I have to re think my need for it, or mill an adapter for the rail..I will post a pic later

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, i remember seeing that piggy back bracket a couple years ago but wasnt sure if it fit my particular scope, now that i look at it again, it makes sense, I can see how it would fit now... looks like it uses the screws on the side near the back of the OTA.

Just curious, and this may be a wild idea, but can a finder scope be used for a guide scope? a lot of finderscopes ive seen have removeable eyepeices, but i bet the crosshairs get in the way...or can they be removed on some finderscopes?

#5 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:13 AM

you could use a finder as a guidescope only for a wide-angle camera. The magnification is too low, so there will be deviations you will not see but the camera will!

Guiding with a non-reticled eyepiece at very high power is better. You can also make your own reticuled eyepiece by plucking two (2) hair off your head, and glueing them in crosshair pattern at the eyepiece's fieldstop.

#6 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:46 AM

there was a guy that found out his web cam could thread into a finder scope directly , instead of the eyepiece but i never heard of the result...

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:29 PM

Well, if you want it to piggyback and APO and camera, you can use a Losmandy Dovetail plate. This is an expensive setup but I hear it is strong. http://www.losmandy.com/secondary.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics