•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Docter UWA 12.5mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
378 replies to this topic

#1 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

I could not make it to 2010 NEAF but I could acquire fine eyepieces Docter UWA 12.5mm AFOV 84 degree. It was delivered this afternoon. I did regular check up that I do for each eyepiece, measuring weight, field stop, taking snapshot.

As Markus mentioned, it shows very well corrected wide field view and very good eye relief.

Field stop is 19.21mm, calculated AFOV 88.1 degree, weight 517 grams.

It comes with classic leather case. Here is photo, added my favorite 12.5mm Takahashi LE 12.5 for size comparison:
Posted Image

Close up on eye lens, diameter 32mm:
Posted Image

It seems that new astrogear curse isn't on left coast. I hope I can do first light tonight.

Tammy

#2 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Aurora

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hi Tammy:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I can't wait to hear how it performs - I anticipate a splendid and flawless performance.
Bill

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hi Bill,

Marine layer was rolling in but I could enjoy the Moon, pretty sharp edge to edge and Saturn. It has a little pincushion but not as much as Panoptic. NAV SW has much lesser distortion.

This eyepiece is the first eyepiece over 80 degree AFOV that I feel comfortable with in binoviewer.

But total weight of the binoviewer setup is 2,051 grams. It is bit heavy...

Next, I'll compare it with LE 12.5.

Tammy

#4 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

Tammy,

Never heard of these eyepieces, may I ask who makes them, and where are they made? Thanks!

#5 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi Tammy, what's the eyerelief on those?

#6 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi Steve,

It is made in Germany, by Docter Optics. You can find more information in toward end of this thread NIKON NAV arrived, diffrent real specs in CN Vendor and Group Announcement Forum

Tammy

#7 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hi Sgt,

Eye relief is about 20mm, very comfortable to look through.

Tammy

#8 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Tammy,

Looks like Docter has updated their old 90deg 12.5mm which was supposed to have much less eye relief. Is this a recent release? Looking forward to your opinions on these, especially vs other UWAs. I wonder how they handle fast (f6.5-f4) optics...

#9 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

Tammy,

Wow. Beautiful looking eyepiece. Interesting that Markus says it retains a sharp edge even in an f/4.3 scope!! Very much look forward to how you feel it performs relative to contrast and transmission. :) Do you know how many elements/groups are in it?

#10 jack45

jack45

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

These have taken on a new design and if the ER has improved, they will be great. There's been a few reviews on the old 90 deg ep. I think contrast and transmission were a plus with these eps. I believe the cost was somewhere between $400-500, a few years back. They look nice, can't wait for a review!

Clear Skies!

#11 jack45

jack45

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

Here's the data on these new eps, if I'm allowed to post: If not the Moderator will remove, is from the web site. Barrel size/ER at 20mm looks great and if they work in the BV even better. I think Markus said he got two for BVing.

Barrel-Size: 1.25" & 2.00"
Focal length: 12.5 mm
Filter-thread: 28.5x0.5 (1.25") mm
Weight: 520 g
Eye relief: 20 mm
Size (lxwxh): 117x54.5 mm
field of view: 84 Grad

Clear Skies!

#12 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Very nice Tammy. Bring those new toys to my next star party on May 8th. Hope to finally see you again. I have never seen the models you have but a friend of mine Vernon Kifer has what I remember being a Doctor 14mm however it had a 65 deg. AFOV. When I Googled it, I couldn't find it, so maybe it was a 12.5mm but it certainly didn't have as wide a field as yours that I know for sure. One thing though I do remember vividly was that most of the central field was extremely transparent! like better than just about any wide field. I'd very much like to see yours. Hope you're well.

:cool:

#13 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Tammy,

Wow. Beautiful looking eyepiece. Interesting that Markus says it retains a sharp edge even in an f/4.3 scope!! Very much look forward to how you feel it performs relative to contrast and transmission. :) Do you know how many elements/groups are in it?

Hi Bill,

yes, it is beautiful and solid feel eyepiece. I don't know about element/group count. I read it somewhere, 8 elements but I could be wrong.

I hope Markus chimes in.

Tammy

#14 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I am planning to attend May 8th Star Party. I bring several new eyepieces. Marine layer has started rolling at night here. I hope Chesebro Canyon site is OK since it is a little more inland :)

By the way, was Vernon a gentleman who brought Leitz 30 and Portaball at Charlton Flat Star Party?

Tammy

#15 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

I had 1.5 hours of lunar and Saturn observation with binoviewer. TSA102S was outside for two hours prior to observation. Seeing last night was excellent, I even went up to 380x last night. I enjoyed slight seeing change caused ripple effect in the view, it made complex lunar surface live microbe look under high power microscope viewing.

It was easy to spot 4 craterlets in Plato.

I must say this eyepiece has excellent scatter control, high contrast and well corrected to edge, the view reminds me with Zeiss AII look, natural color rendering except much wider AFOV. I like Pentax XW in binoviewer for lunar. I think Docter may exceed XW in terms of lunar viewing experience. Two (#3, #5?) close together craterlets were easily visible at the very edge.

There is a problem with this eyepiece. It is heavy. The binoviewer setup with Barlow lens weights 2,708 grams or 5.97lb Takahashi TSA102S focuser with Starlight Instruments TRF102 retrofit focuser couldn't lift the weight. Perhaps I need to readjust the focuser tension. It holds OK but it couldn't lift the weight. I think it was the heaviest visual back hanging off TSA102 so far :)

Tammy

#16 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I am planning to attend May 8th Star Party. I bring several new eyepieces. Marine layer has started rolling at night here. I hope Chesebro Canyon site is OK since it is a little more inland :)

By the way, was Vernon a gentleman who brought Leitz 30 and Portaball at Charlton Flat Star Party?

Tammy

Tammy, I really want to see those eyepieces including the NAV's. I viewed the Moon and Saturn last night with June till 11pm. Views in the 6" Tak were absolutely marvelous. Yes, that is Vernon from Charlton Flats who has the Portaball. He likes exotic glass like you. I must say you have become quite the collector. I shall call you Dr. Homma now. I'm not worthy!!! :bow: :lol:

#17 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Aurora

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

Daniel:
It's looking like your May 8th star party will be a good one. I think that I'll try to go and if I do I'll bring the TV 17 T4 to compare it with Tammy's new Nikon. I have a 12 mm Steinheil monocentric which might prove to be interesting to compare to the new Docter which Dr. Homma now has acquired.
Bill

#18 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

Daniel:
It's looking like your May 8th star party will be a good one. I think that I'll try to go and if I do I'll bring the TV 17 T4 to compare it with Tammy's new Nikon. I have a 12 mm Steinheil monocentric which might prove to be interesting to compare to the new Docter which Dr. Homma now has acquired.
Bill

Just back from Daniel's Saturday Star Party.

Nice to meet you, Bill for the first time. Pleasantly surprised to see so many people at star party.

It was nice opportunity to be able to look through 3.7mm Ethos SX with NP-127, nice Saturn image. Thanks John for the opportunity.

People looked through Docter UWA 12.5 liked the image and comfortable viewing with good eye relief.

Daniel took Docter 12.5 and Leica Zoom home. I hope he can post his impression here :)

Tammy

#19 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Tammy,
I cant thank you enough for loaning me these beautiful eyepieces. Tonight I intend to test them in the Tak FS152. Didn't get home till 2am and last nights party was a pretty smashing turnout. I will post my results tonight provided weather doesn't hold us back. June is coming over to see them as well. :grin: :grin: :grin:

#20 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi Daniel,

You're welcome. Enjoy!

I uploaded a few photos that I took before getting dark.

http://www.pbase.com...ebro_star_party

Tammy

#21 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Aurora

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Daniel; Tammy; John; June; and, Rob:
That was no ordinary "star party." It wasn't a "shootout" -- it was a "gunfight!" -- The Gunfight At Chesebro Canyon!"
I couldn't sleep when I finally got home from Chesebro Canyon as I was still so psyched about what I had seen through those magnificent eyepieces.
Without any doubt whatsoever, there are now (4) four more eyepieces which I know that I will absolutely have to acquire. Those eyepieces are: The Docter 12.5; the new Leitz zoom; the Ethos 3.7 SX; and, the Nikon 17.5.
My only regret is that we never got around to trying Tammy's Nikon barlow and his Zeiss 25 mm -- but that fact is understandable; and, it is indicative of just how much attention the above eyepieces merited and received from our little group.
Maybe my most indelible memory of the evening is when that 9-10 year old boy came up to us and wanted to know what it was which was causing all the excitement when he observed the six (6) of us excitedly yelling like children about the Docter 12.5 when it was in the 127 Petzval Televue APO.
Maybe it was when Rob Lockhart after looking through the Docter 12.5 in the Vixen 8 inch at Bodes Galaxy said "I've just got to compare this with my 13 Ethos;" then laughed saying: "I know it won't be close;" and, after putting his 13 Ethos into the Vixen saying: "It's not even close, not even close."
Perhaps it was when John Rhodes asked me what I thought of the Televue 3.7 SX after viewing Saturn through it and when he inquired if I was going to buy the SX eyepiece; and, I stated that I actually wanted to buy stock in Televue itself because the SX was without a doubt the best Televue eyepiece that I had ever looked through and I thought that Televue's sales are going to be "astronomical." As I told John, I think that the SX is simply the "Best of Class" of all the eyepieces which Televue has previously manufactured and which Televue currently manufactures. It is, in my perspective, a game changer.
A lot of people are going to write a lot of positive articles and reviews about the new SX and its qualities for various astronomy magazines and in astonomy forums. I don't need to even need to bother to read them as I now know firsthand what it can do.
Perhaps it was in using the new Leitz zoom. That eyepiece is nothing short of almost unbelievable. Unfortunately, we didn't spend enough time with the Leitz, but with what little time which was spent with it -- it is more than clear that it is a marveous eyepiece.
I knew before I came to Chesebro Canyon and before I even looked through the Nikon 17.5 that I was going to buy that eyepiece. It did not disappoint. It is everything that Tammy has said it is. The new Nikon 7 mm was equally impressive.
I would like to take a moment to personally thank Tammy Homma; John Rhodes; and, Rob Lockhart for bringing the fine eyepieces and the terrific scopes to use with those eyepieces.
I am more than certain that those of us who were fortunate to be there are going to remember that night for a long, long time. I know that I will.
Bill

#22 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hi Bill,

You're very welcome.

Glad to know you enjoyed the party, I certainly did enjoy it. I liked M44 very much with NP127 and Docter 12.5. As you said, I enjoyed the moment the kid asked about "What's unbelievable?" when Daniel was at the eyepiece, kept saying "Unbelievable."

Oh by the way, that zoom eyepiece wasn't Leitz but Leica, minor details. I guess Daniel was talking about Leitz 30 and getting confused :) It was very good, wasn't it? :grin:

I forgot about Zeiss 25, Denk 14 and Nikon Barlow. Specially when we observed M81/M82, I should have shown Denk 14 to you. I think it is pretty good eyepiece for DSO.

Next time, at Mt. Pinos :)

Tammy

#23 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Are you saying that the Docter 12.5mm blows away the 13mm Ethos?
Dave

#24 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Aurora

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hi Tammy:
Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that Leitz and Leica are the same company -- one of which, and I don't remember which, is to my understanding, their manufacturing arm in Canada as opposed to the other which is in Germany. To answer your question, that Leica zoom eyepiece was way, way beyond being "very good." The optical quality of that eyepiece parallels that of their most expensive binoculars.
Daniel had a lot of comments about that Docter eyepiece -- I particularly liked his rant about how Marcus owed him a favor and he would get one of those Docter eyepieces no matter what. I suspect that he was both surprised and also amazed at the quality of it. I knew about the Docter eyepiece and I expected quality of that nature but I had never viewed through one until Saturday night. Thanks again for the opportunity. By the way, I think that the Docter 12.5 is the best eyepiece available on the market other than the Pentax 60XL.
I kinda felt bad for John Rhodes given the fact that he brought the full and complete line of Televue Ethos eyepieces including the brand new 3.7 SX -- and none of our group was particularly interested in any of the Ethos save the new SX and the 21 mm Ethos -- which, of course, is an outstanding eyepiece. Interestingly, John told me that there are only 3 of the SX eyepieces in existence and we were viewing through one of those three SX eyepieces. I personally believe that the new 3.7 SX is qualatatively better than any eyepiece Televue has to date manufactured. To my mind and eye it certainly is better than any TV eyepiece I've viewed through.
Check this thread out on the Classics forum about the Classics Party this August at Mt. Pinos:
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/o/fpart/all
There are some photos of the fine refractors that were present last year. There is one which I think that I took which shows Steve's 6 inch Goto; Dan's Alvan Clarks; Tim's 6 inch long focus Jaegars; and, other fine instruments. There is even an older thread as well from about August of last year but I couldn't find it on the CN Classics forum.
If you come this August to the Classics Party at Mt. Pinos and bring those eyepieces we've been discussing -- it is going to knock the socks off of some of those guys. I can hardly begin to imagine how the summer sky will look through those outstanding instruments with those ultra premium eyepieces. Of particular interest would be Whitman's 9 inch Astro-Physics Refractor which he will have at Mt. Pinos. See, his thread "AP Find of a Lifetime" on the Classics forum.
Maybe we can all make it out there this August.
Bill

#25 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Aurora

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi Dave:
It does in my eye and mind. Right out of the water. We viewed Bode's Galaxy with it in Rob Lockhart's Vixen 8 inch and it was no contest.
Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics