•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Orion 127 mm Mak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:50 AM

How do these compare with a 6 "newt? I have a 6" hardin eq mounted newt and was going to switch to a 6" dob. I was talking to a dealer yesterday and he said that I might like a mak instead. Ease of use is becoming a big issue with me,as I am haveing more probelms carrying and moving scopes than I ever thought possible.

#2 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

The 127mm Mak will be a lot easier to handle than the reflector, but the weight might not be a great deal different. The Mak is mainly a lunar and planetary scope, but will kick out DSO for the patient observer. Of course the mount used will also fiqure into the equation. The scope you use, will be the best scope....

http://www.barrie-tao.com/apex127.html

Ciao...Barry

#3 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

The Orion 127 Mak comes in a nice carrying bag. You will want to get the dew shield for it (if you get one). It is an easy-to-set-up scope with good optics. You will get good planetary and lunar images and can, as mentioned, observe some DSOs. Compared to a 6" f/5 Newt, for example, you will have a narrower field of view, but more magnification because of the Mak's larger focal length (1540mm) and a focal ratio of f/12.1 vs. the Orion 6" Newt's f/5 at 750mm. The 6" has aperture advantage, but if you want ease of set up and a smaller scope with some potential, the Mak 127 will work.

#4 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

I'm also one who gravitated to a Mak because I have trouble moving larger scopes. I loved my 6" f/8 Newt, but it proved too cumbersome. I now have a 6" Mak, and while it does have a narrower field of view, I haven't found that to be a problem (of course, I'm not a big DSO observer anyway, but I've only found a few DSOs that don't fit in the field). I find that the small aperture is the greater limiting factor for DSO observing, but that's true of any scope design. For DSO, aperture really does rule. But like Barry said, the best scope is the one you'll use. A 5" Mak under the stars beats a 20" reflector in the garage every time.

When I was starting out, every telescope had a narrow FOV compared to today's fast scopes. It never stopped anyone from doing astronomy, as far as I can recall. In later years the technology to make good quality fast scopes and the eyepieces to go with them improved, so we all started loving the wide fields, but there's no reason you can't get a lifetimes' enjoyment out of a long FL Mak.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

I think I will ask for one for my birthday now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics