•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPad Astronomy Apps (Screenshots)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#26 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

Astromist is supposed to be in Apple Review according to Cyrill he submitted it a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't been on the Astromist google site since, I guess we have to remain patient.
SkyVoyager is my choice followed by Starmap pro.

#27 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

I'd love to see Cartes du Ciel on the iPad but I doubt that'll ever happen. Or will it? Even more than that...I'd love a digital edition of Burnham's Celestial Handbook on the iPad. That's such an invaluable resource for me.

Even if an application named Cartes du Ciel came out for the iPad, it wouldn't bear any resemblance to the PC version except in name and logo, perhaps. The whole interface design is inherently different (not to mention the underlying binaries). A lot of things that we like about CdC on the PC could look ugly on an iPad.

I like the idea of a Burnham's on the iPad. Especially after seeing and using iPad apps like The Elements. That could be potentially way cool a nd be a wonderful way to preserve a classic to a new audience while updating the data, too.

#28 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Why not a free version of Stellarium on ipad or iphone..that would rock and free...i bet everybody will download one!

#29 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

I'm totally behind having Stellarium on the iPad. They're working on it, I believe.

#30 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, stellarium would be great. On the ipad particularly, not sure about the iphone.. I certainly wouldn't say no, but it'll need a major UI redesign, and it really depends on how that works out. It could be great, or it could be crowded + fiddly.

#31 gravitino

gravitino

Mariner 2

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

I've been playing the last few days with "Moon Atlas" and it seems to be a very effective lunar reference at the scope. Zoomable, with increasing levels of features labeled as you zoom, reorientable map according to your preference/scope. Great iPad app!

-- Shane

#32 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

Now that's cool. Sounds like a great reference tool. I'm still waiting for my 64GB 3G iPad...should be here by mid-June.

#33 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, stellarium would be great. On the ipad particularly, not sure about the iphone.. I certainly wouldn't say no, but it'll need a major UI redesign, and it really depends on how that works out. It could be great, or it could be crowded + fiddly.

I don't think it would need much in the way of redesign at all. The UI really isn't much different from SkyVoyager, which works fine.

#34 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

I'd say the UI as it is could be almost a straight port for the ipad, it's pretty touch friendly. For the iphone it would be either too small or too cramped and the dialogues wouldn't work on the whole, that's what I mean. It might be possible to just re-organise it a bit perhaps. No reason why it can't work out great with a fairly minimal bit of work, but I've seen people mess up that minimal bit of work too many times to take it for granted ;)

I seem to remember the issue with an iphone port being QT though, are nokia now porting it to iphone? (nokia porting their code to the iphone platform sounds like a really dumb idea, but in this case it might would out ok if it means iphone devs end up porting their work to moblin I guess?)

#35 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:18 AM

I'm totally behind having Stellarium on the iPad. They're working on it, I believe.

The only official port for a mobile device that I am aware of in the moment is for Nokia N900. And the porting effort exists only because Fabien Chéreau (the lead developer) has one. :) The port will probably require a new GUI, but when the port is ready, it will be able to be adapted for various devices with minimal modifications.

I seem to remember the issue with an iphone port being QT though, are nokia now porting it to iphone? (nokia porting their code to the iphone platform sounds like a really dumb idea, but in this case it might would out ok if it means iphone devs end up porting their work to moblin I guess?)

There's no official port of Qt for the iPhone/iPad. There are issues on both sides that make this unlikely. (E.g. Qt's developers have their hands full at the moment, the clause of the iPhone/iPad app store developer agreement that effectively bans Flash may also ban Qt, etc.)

It is likely that Stellarium can run on a "jailbroken" iPad running some tablet-friendly Linux distribution, but I guess that this is not what people are asking about. :)

#36 wykbbb

wykbbb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

3d Sun is now available on the iPad.

#37 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

As is Starmap HD, at a bargain price of $0.99, if you hurry and you hurry now!

3D Sun is a great addition, btw.

#38 Paul Rix

Paul Rix

Gemini

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Starmap HD. Wow, I thought Starmap Pro was great on the iPod Touch, but the HD version is outstanding from what I have seen so far. The larger screen of the iPad makes a huge difference and it is extremely smooth when compared to the iPod Touch/iPhone version.

#39 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Vanguard

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

I'm very impressed with StarMap HD. Looking forward to the pro version with better telescope controls.

#40 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

I got 'em all. Good stuff. Star Map and Sky Voyager are my two caves. As an aside, also picked up Buzz Aldrin's space app, which is HD and is better than NASA's. Lots of really cool stuff in there.

#41 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

I just got the 64 GB 3G iPad. In addition to SkyVoyager and StarMapHD, I would also recommend MoonPhase.

#42 nikolas

nikolas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Dont forget Distant suns 3. This app is great, is my constant companion! I use this since the old ages of Amiga back in 1988!!! And now in iPad!

http://itunes.apple....d363418936?mt=8

#43 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Rats! I missed the 99 cents bargain on StarMap HD. We just got our iPad or perhaps we would have noticed the sale/deal. At this point, the 2x version of StarMap Pro seems just fine on the iPad, so I'm doubtful I'd spend another $20 or so. But maybe.

Is there any notification system for when some of our coveted apps go on sale? That would be really sweet!

As to the other wish list (ports)... I keep hoping that Planetarium gets ported to the i-devices. It's still my favorite astronomy program and I still observe with it on a Palm OS PDA.

#44 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Sadly, no. Either because the App Store doesn't want to deal with all the extra notifications or because it's still a way to get people to shop the store instead of just focusing on one app.

#45 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

The promotional pricing of most apps is not under the App Store's control, but rather, the developer's decision. That promotional pricing for StarMap was, as far as I know, strictly StarMap's call. Any time I have received notifications about app pricing, it has been through the developers' notifications, not Apple or the App store.

#46 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

well there is freeappalert.com, so there might be some equivalent for "sale" apps...

#47 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Ok, so what is the best of the best in IPad astronomy apps? My wife just won one so I will likely use it as a chart at the eyepiece rather than using books but don't want to buy more than one, maybe two, programs.
Thanks,
Daren

#48 nikolas

nikolas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

My personal favorites:
Distant Suns 3
StarMap Pro
StarWalk HD

I use DS3 most of the time though... Dont forget to have a look on Solar Walk which is a Solar System Simulator giving you a chance to "fly" through all the planets of our system. On Ipad's gorgeous screen this app look fantastic.

Nikolas

#49 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Thanks, I will have to give the solar system simulator a try. It sounds like it would be great.

#50 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

Ok, so what is the best of the best in IPad astronomy apps? My wife just won one so I will likely use it as a chart at the eyepiece rather than using books but don't want to buy more than one, maybe two, programs.
Thanks,
Daren

Again, SkyVoyager. Especially at the eyepiece, I prefer its simple menu system (see attached pictures). It has a great set of databases with a ton of descriptive and narrative information about the objects.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3907301-SkyVoyager.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics