•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPad Astronomy Apps (Screenshots)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#76 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Well, it looks like I just cannot get away from the IPAD. I just received another free one. Why are these things falling into my lap?

Oh...the pain. The horror of it all....

#77 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

• In Memoriam

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

My favorites so far:
Sky Voyager
Star Walk
Moon Atlas
Mars Atlas

Still waiting for Starmap Pro for the iPad. The Starmap Pro/Sky Voyager combination on the iPhone rocks.

Any of these work on the Droid?

#78 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:08 AM

Nope, they're all iOS apps, for iphone, ipod and ipad. There's google sky for android, but it's not really a 'serious' app.

#79 strgzrSulli

strgzrSulli

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

Stellarium is out for the iPad!

#80 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Stellarium is out for the iPad!

Hmmm...

Downloaded it. Looks nice but does need some work. Apparently no night vision mode for the whole display, just the terrain if you use it. No scope controls that I can see. Still playing with it.

#81 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, it's been out for a while. In all honesty though, I'd say it's like an early alpha rather than a decent port. Compass/accelerometer control is pretty much useless, many missing (essential!) features, and it always seems to start up with a view looking straight down, which means a totally black screen that looks more like a crash!

Still, a few more updates down the line perhaps we'll have the stellarium we know and love from the desktop :)

#82 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

It has been interesting to read how well-received SkyVoyager is as an app, in contrast to how Carina's Voyager software for Mac/PC is largely disregarded. I suppose it helps to get into the game early, as they have.

I love SkyVoyager on my iPod Touch, but I love Voyager on my PC a lot more. And it's for the same reasons that have been cited here. Every time I look at the user interface on competing software, it's not even in the same league as Voyager's, much less competitive.

Anyway, sorry for straying a bit off-topic. It's good to see that Carina is succeeding with SkyVoyager.

Tom

I myself actually got rid of my starry nights pro.
I prefer voyager over it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics