•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wanna take a guess?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#76 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Just kidding about the Monkey Wards thing. And thanks Doc. Robert, I think I used to have one of those K-Mart *BLEEP* scopes! :roflmao: And Robert, is this one of the eyepieces you were speaking of. Out of the blue I ended up with it yesterday. It has the Circle V imprint.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3805430-PICT0071 (560x420).jpg

#77 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

It came in the storage box with this! A elderly gentleman was getting flack from his daughter to start getting rid of stuff he does't use. He said he had used it twice for photography 31 years ago and then put it away! I believe him as it is excellent condition. The electric cord and mounting bolts are still in their sealed bags and the ortho looks brand new. When I looked at it at his home I saw that it had an eyepiece marked Celestron .96 9mm. and I thought to myself any eyepiece is better than none but when I got home and saw it was a Circle V Ortho, well, un- fracken believable! He sold me the whole kit and kaboodle for $50.00 ! I told him it was probably worth more than that and he said " take it and use it, this will keep my daughter off my back". He lived in a million dollar house so I do not think money was an issue to him. Now I have two scopes that will see first light hopefully tonight according to the weather people!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3805471-PICT0072 (520x390).jpg

#78 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

He sold me the whole kit and kaboodle for $50.00 ! I told him it was probably worth more than that and he said " take it and use it, this will keep my daughter off my back". He lived in a million dollar house so I do not think money was an issue to him. Now I have two scopes that will see first light hopefully tonight according to the weather people!

Wow - nice score!! It does look like it's in gorgeous condition.

#79 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

You even have the little counter-weights. Love those little C90 Astros.

#80 JohnD_STL

JohnD_STL

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

Well, I may have something on the TJK mark.
Still not 100% but feels like a possibility.
But you will have to take a small leap with me.

Anyone ever hear of the Toyo Jitsugyo Co.?

I found these Simor Binoculars
which had the Diamond TJK mark on them.
Then I found this table of Binocular Brands and Makers
which lists the maker of Simor's as Toyo Jitsugyo Co.
Now comes the small leap. I believe that Co. in
Japan is sometimes abbreviated as K. So, TJK as a
trademark for Toyo Jitsugyo Co. seems somewhat reasonable.

John D.

#81 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

o.
Now comes the small leap. I believe that Co. in
Japan is sometimes abbreviated as K. So, TJK as a
trademark for Toyo Jitsugyo Co. seems somewhat reasonable.

John D.

The tiny bit I know about the Japanese language may validate this idea.

"Foreign" words, or words from other languages, are spelled in Japan using their katakana alphabet. For example, the word "elevator" would loosely be translated in Japanese to sound like "erebatu" (or something close to that) because those are the closest sounds that they have in their language that mimics the English word.

Given that the company names would have been translated into English FROM the Japanese, but into an English word (likely using katakana), I think it may be reasonable to assume that "K" would be the letter that would abbreviate "company," as katakana does not use a "C" sound (due to the English "C" having dual use as a "k" sound and an "s" sound).

It works for me, though I confess I don't know if that's truly accurate. There's a Japanese abbreviations section on Wikipedia, and I didn't find anything to that effect, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't translated as such however-many-odd decades ago, too.

#82 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

You know, this might seal it:

http://en.wikipedia....abushiki_kaisha

http://en.wikipedia....Mochibun_kaisha

Instead of the katakana for company, it may mean "kaisha" - or corporation, in Japanese...?

#83 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

John and Dave, thank you both for the good info! You guys know how to search! I have got a couple of feelers out there trying to get something really solid as to the manufacture of this scope. While I certainly appreciate all the input I have recieved about this scope I do not think we have it nailed down yet but the latest leads from you guys gets me more to work with.
Finaly was able to get the scope outside over the weekend and I could not be more pleased! Pinpoint stars, circular diffraction ring and no false color that I could detect. Did not try to split any doubles yet but Venus, Mars and Saturn were spectactular! I could probably go on and on about how this scope will compete with that scope or that scope but I am just going to say I think this scope will be a keeper no matter who made it! Thanks again to all you who have chimed in and if you are ever near MPLS. I know of some amazingly dark skies within the city so just let me know if you want to take a looky! P.S. the C-90 was alot of fun too!

#84 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Doing some reading of old threads in the archives and saw the Diamond TJK was used on Swift binoculars and that TAK made some early Swift telescopes, MMM... And from what I have found TAK was the only manufacturer of a f-15 triplet in that time period. Still looks to me to be a fine example of an early Takahashi. Certainly performs to their level.

#85 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

Sure wish we could find out for sure. So many of the Japanese manufactures used multiple logos. And, unfortunately, there is no way to look them up even in Japan. Maybe something will turn up in the thread Steve just started on a comprehensive listing of logos.
Your reports on this scope make me want to get a look through it :)

#86 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

To add to the mystery... This Wards scope came via Fed Ex today from ShopGoodwill and was packaged very well. I bought it for one reason and one reason only. The mysterious Diamond TJK trademark! I had hoped to find some sort of hint about the trademark but after a close examination found out nothing but that this is a well made little scope with good optics, for its size. Smallest scope in the herd!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3893863-PICT0020 (600x450).jpg

#87 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

And the money shot!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3893864-PICT0008 (600x450).jpg

#88 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

One more! Anyone heard of ZUMA?

Attached Thumbnails

• 3893868-PICT0007 (600x450).jpg

#89 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

And I knew I had one of those Focal scopes somewhere. Surprisingly good optics for a K-Mart scope! House of Color thinks they can match the paint to the Bushnells. You can see where I am going with this, without disturbing the originality of any of the scopes ( I hope! ).

Attached Thumbnails

• 3893877-PICT0017 (600x450).jpg

#90 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Focal label. Circle Double V , I know I have seen this one before but cannot put my finger on it. :help:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3893880-PICT0013 (600x450).jpg

#91 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

The double V is listed in the stikied thread on Japanese logos - I forget what it said but I remember it was in the list :) Hows the optics on the little Wards?

#92 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Nope, take it back....... No double V. There is an unknown circle W. Go take a look at it and compare. That might be what you have there, I can not tell from the pic.

#93 RobDob

RobDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

To add to the mystery... This Wards scope came via Fed Ex today from ShopGoodwill and was packaged very well. I bought it for one reason and one reason only. The mysterious Diamond TJK trademark! I had hoped to find some sort of hint about the trademark but after a close examination found out nothing but that this is a well made little scope with good optics, for its size. Smallest scope in the herd!

Saw this, and it reminded me of my little Sears Discoverer scope I bought for ~$25 new somewhere's about 1980. It looks similar to yours. Mine had a little collapsible tripod but it busted years ago. It's just been sitting in my scope bag ever since.

Optics are pretty good, I used it for spotting birds and zooming in on em! Not bad zoom either.

However, I can't figure out how to tear this thing apart to get to the fogged up zoom lens to clean it....

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• 3896180-SearsDiscvrTube.jpg

#94 RobDob

RobDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

The sticker:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3896185-Sears Discvr10-30x30.jpg

#95 RobDob

RobDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

The QC stickers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3896186-SearsDiscvrQC.jpg

#96 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

"Mr. Horiguchi gave up at the end the super-apochromat for MARK-X of Goto optics and semi-apochromat for Takahashi, before fluolite-age."
A recent quote from our Japanese friend. Could this be the semi-apochromat he is referring to?

Attached Thumbnails

• 4031596-PICT0049 (400x300).jpg

#97 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

The plot thickens! Still trying to get the exact provenance for this scope. Recently had an e-mail conversation with Takahashi N.A. who in turn contacted Takahashi Tokyo. Their responce while somewhat enlightening did not nail it down. Did open another door for me though! This is from the Takahashi N.A. internet rep.

"Takahashi told me that they only made telescopes with their name on it.

At that time Swift Instruments may have made it for Bushnell."

IIRC it has been said in this forum that Swift and Takahashi were related in one form or another. When I asked whether Takahashi ever used the Diamond TJK trademark that question was mysteriously not answered. Hmm... I will keep searching!!

#98 rockymtnstars

rockymtnstars

Lift Off

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

I'd say Lafayette Arcturus
Dave

#99 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Dave, interesting! What would make you come to that conclusion? Since we here have only heard good (great!) things about the Arcturus model I could easily live with that.

#100 wasyoungonce

wasyoungonce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have a old Sportsmaster 60mm refractor (early 60s?) with similar markings: Diamond SYW and Diamond TJK.

This started my interest in Astronomy.

Anyway...pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Its an Alt/Az wobbletronic mount but the optics are great...haven't used it in awhile though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics