•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Better RA slow motion for my C8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zoomster

Zoomster

Vendor - Clear Sky Adventures

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:42 PM

I must admit I love my black C8. It's portable, great optics, tracking is good for what I do and besides...it's dead sexy, but I digress.
One thing I have never liked even when it was new was the RA slow motion control. The declination control is great but the RA just was not well thought out in my opinion. When the clamp is unlocked the scope just turns too easily and way too fast. Has anyone ever worked a modification for the RA? Something that will allow it to be turned slowly and easily with out the fear that it will suddenly turn too far and the object runs out of the FOV? I will even go aftermarket if I have too, but I would prefer to do it myself.

Zoom on.

#2 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, no solution, but I know EXACTLY the problem you are having... It is even more annoying if you mount a heavy finderscope on one side - watch the scope spin freely when the clamp is undone! Fun for the whole family, I think...

What I used to do for years was just loosen the clamp enough that I could turn the scope but it wouldn't spin freely. Since I never used the old AC clock drive, I don't know if this would work if you were using the clock drive - I'd think there would be some risk of damage if the clamp is in a "semi-engaged" state and the drive is running. Note that this tactic didn't work once I mounted a large finder on the scope. Then it wanted to spin if I undid the clamp enough to move it.

#3 Night Surfer

Night Surfer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

It works w/ the clock drive running. Just loosen it a little and you can turn it. You do not have to fully disengage it.

#4 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:18 AM

i made a handle for the top of mine. the top of the rings have a couple of places you can mount the homemade handle on. it gives you something to hold on to so you can control the scope.

#5 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

"Has anyone ever worked a modification for the RA?"

Many years ago Roger Tuthill sold a gear reduction unit that you mounted on the R.A. knob shaft. Try asking around - maybe someone here on CN or perhaps on Astromart might have one available.

Other than that, just being aware of that particular quirk of the C-8 is usually enough to allow you to work with it successfully.

Don :usa:

P.S. I love the Razorback avatar!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics