•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found in field: Astrola Cave 12 1/2" f/6 (I think)

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#26 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

told you....sad huh

#27 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

What an awesome find and rehab opportunity.

Fortuna smiles on you, m'man

#28 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Quite restorable. The optics look like they're in good shape.

the tube is fiberglass? Looks like cardboard in the one pic. That might mean it was made toward the end of the Cave era, around 1978-79, when Parks wasn't selling fiberglass tubes to Cave anymore.

If you take the mirror out of the cell, CAREFULLY, you should see the date of manufacture engraved in the edge of the mirror.

I hope you decide to keep it, but if you don't, there are several Cave nuts in So Cal (yours truly included) who'd love to give it a good home. Please keep it together, though (my personal bias, others feel differently). Also, the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference is happening next weekend at Camp Oakes, outside of Big Bear. they have a swap meet on Saturday morning where you'd be sure to sell it, if you haven't before then (and still want to).

Old cars, eh?

Me too:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3792293-157f-1.jpg

• ach likes this

#29 BooBoo

BooBoo

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: California City, California, USA

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Heck, I'd be willing to drive down to Riverside to take that nasty pile of dirty old junk off your hands... :wron:

#30 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Look up the cavetelescopes group on yahoo groups. A number of us are members there as well as here.

-tim.

#31 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

While horseback riding my wife

:o

#32 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

so I took the mirror out and there are no markings on it, looks like maybe someone was in the middle of resto; It has a sticker on it from a company in Glendora that aluminized it along with the owners name etched on the side. so no good?

#33 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

While horseback riding my wife

:o

never said I could type :cool:

#34 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

It sure is rough looking.

Chas

#35 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

so I took the mirror out and there are no markings on it, looks like maybe someone was in the middle of resto; It has a sticker on it from a company in Glendora that aluminized it along with the owners name etched on the side. so no good?

I wouldn't say no good - the etched name is probably who made the mirror.

#36 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Great pics on your Cave 8 Dan. good basic info for a rookie

#37 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Piccolomini Observatory

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

RL,
Was this the kind of help you were looking for?
Welcome to the Classics!

cw in norcal

#38 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

RL,
Was this the kind of help you were looking for?
Welcome to the Classics!

cw in norcal

yes sir, great group here, very helpfull, and some sarcasm also, I luv it. I,m starting to think there is not much "Cave" left here on this thing.

#39 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Can you tell us what the name is on the side? We might recognize it.

-Tim.

#40 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

-Tim.

Mc Grath on big one and small one.

#41 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: Light Pollution Capital, USA

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

OMG!!!! What a find!!! :foreheadslap:

I'm a former ol' car guy. I owned a 1954 Olds 98 Holiday Coupe until about 5 years ago, as well as a couple of mid-60s full-size Oldsmobiles.

Many of the restoration techniques applicable to old cars are directly transferable to classic and vintage telescopes. That's why I've saved all my auto restoration articles from Cars & Parts magazine.

If you decide not to keep and restore your newly acquired vintage Cave Astrola, then it certainly is saleable.

#42 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

OMG!!!! What a find!!! :foreheadslap:

I'm a former ol' car guy. I owned a 1954 Olds 98 Holiday Coupe until about 5 years ago, as well as a couple of mid-60s full-size Oldsmobiles.

Many of the restoration techniques applicable to old cars are directly transferable to classic and vintage telescopes. That's why I've saved all my auto restoration articles from Cars & Parts magazine.

If you decide not to keep and restore your newly acquired vintage Cave Astrola, then it certainly is saleable.

I am sure alot is the same, I have so many connections in that industry too, blasting, powder coating etc. But I already have too many projects, guess I need to look around for values and see if I can get it in some "good" hands.

#43 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

-Tim.

"McGrath?"

Oh... that's my, umm... step-uncle. Yeah. Step-uncle. Uhh, Steve McGrath. Must be his mirror and stuff. He was wondering where it went - made mirrors like this for years. When can I come by and pick it up for him? Was passing through Riverside just, uhhh, last... week.

#44 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

To give you an idea, Here is a 12.5" Cave (with a Cave Mirror) on the East Coast going for 1700 dollars. It has been on the market for a while and some here would say it's worth a little less than that. The dilemma with the scope you found is that it needs some work and apparently it does not have an original Cave mirror and the tube is shot. A Parks fiberglass tube is going to run at least 475 dollars, then there is the consideration of cost to overhaul the whole thing! Drive motors, if they don't work may be obsolete or expensive to replace, and other parts, if needed to be made or replaced can also run up the bill. Regardless of the mirror, this is an excellent find. I do feel sorry for who ever lost it and curse the dude who just dumped it on some horse trail! Obviously, the scope has been neglected for a time, it would be interesting to find out the history of it but that may never happen. What ever you do, I think it would be best to just sit on it. A 12.5" scope is something a lot of us only dream of owning, and this one fell upon you for some reason, so it's best to figure out why first and then take action :)

Just my rambling thoughts!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3793021-DSC02705.JPG

#45 Megapixelit

Megapixelit

Explorer 1

• Loc: Dobson N.C.

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

I'd trade my right ear for it? Need a extra good ear? Or partly used right pinky?

#46 rlinsocal

rlinsocal

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

you guys roll me, pretty funny. Trust me whan I say it will get into good hands, I believe in that kind of thing.

#47 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Wow I just stumbled on this. Whoever threw this in the dump should have been shot! This is a crime of high order!

What a wonderful restoration project this will be for someone. If I wasn't so busy taking care of our very old folks, I'd jump on this to do. Some of the guys here are excellent in restorations!

#48 reddog15

reddog15

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wyoming

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

I vote handing that over to Dan let him put the magic to it :bow: :bow:

#49 reddog15

reddog15

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wyoming

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

-Tim.

Nice find dude you should go to "Mystery Scope" post on this forum and see what can happen with and old rusty find :bow:

#50 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: Light Pollution Capital, USA

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

I don't think there would be anything wrong in parting out this scope. I, for one, would like the Magnusson brass setting circles!

Lew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics