•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found in field: Astrola Cave 12 1/2" f/6 (I think)

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#876 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

I found a signature and you're not going to believe it!

Elvis?

#877 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

Barely visible on the back of the mirror, I found the signature of Warren Estes. Could this be the Warren Estes? Anybody have a signature of his?

Attached Thumbnails

• 4825479-Signature.jpg

#878 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Enhanced a little...

Attached Thumbnails

• 4825489-Signature Enhanced.jpg

#879 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Must be!

#880 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

I would email the riverside astronomical society and ask if they know whether estes ever owned a cave. He might have figured the mirror as another possibility

#881 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

For those of us behind the door who is Warren Estes?? :help: Mike

#882 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

I sent that email this morning!

Also did some exploring on the History of Riverside Astronomical Society and Warren Estes and Tom Cave were definitely connected. I hope they answer my email with more info!

I can't think of any reasons why "Warren Estes" would be written on the back of the mirror other than it was once his or he worked on it.

#883 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

He was a famous ATM'er and original member of the Riverside Astronomical Society. The RTMC has a Warren Estes Memorial Award for "Best Use of Simple Materials and Technique."

#884 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

He was a famous ATM'er and original member of the Riverside Astronomical Society. The RTMC has a Warren Estes Memorial Award for "Best Use of Simple Materials and Technique."

Thanks! Mike

#885 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

A little progress report - The president of Riverside Astronomical Society, Frank Boecker has forwarded the email I sent to Alex McConahay who has forwarded my inquiry to people he know who knew Warren Estes.

Now the funny part. I am in the Old Arizona Brass Band, play the Bb and Eb Clarinets. Shameless Plug (It's Non Profit) The Conductor, Al Vreeland, is also an Amateur Astronomer who is the original owner of an early '60's 10" Cave (with Brass Setting Circles, I might add). Anyway, last Wednesday night at rehearsal, I asked him if he heard of Warren Estes, and his eyes lit up and he exclaimed "Heard of him!? I lived right down the street from him!" Well, that was a surprise! But, it was a long time ago, when Al was in junior high school, and he doesn't remember much else and if Warren Estes had a 12.5" Cave or not.

So, it's a small world. :cool:

Sadly, it was a long time ago, and nobody remembers...

#886 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Too cool

#887 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

This is amazing beyond words! What a telescope!

-drl

#888 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

-drl

Definitely!

It's been a little over a year since the scope has been restored and put back to use. Here are some things I've done since to improve its performance.

First, the 10 10-pound counterweights have been replaced with 4 25-pound counterweights. Still Olympic sized Barbell weights, they work out well. The 4 25-pound weights are less thick than the 10 10-pound weights allowing for more travel on the Dec Shaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4849651-New Counterweights.jpg

#889 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Next, the original sized castor wheels were not able to handle the 350 pounds of scope, so I went a size larger in diameter. Also, to keep the wheels from slipping out of the holes, I used some retainer pins to keep them in place. Keep in mind that these Cave Legs only had threaded holes for leveling screws and not holes for the castor wheels. I didn't want to drill additional holes for the wheels so the next best thing is to use what's already there.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4849656-Bigger Wheels.jpg

#890 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

I made a cooling fan that is easily removable and reversible out of a larger 12-volt computer fan, plexiglass and foam. It's kinda scrappy, but works wonders for moving hot air out of the tube.

One additional feature I ought to add to this is a fan grill because more than once I have accidentally cut a finger by sticking my finger in there!

Attached Thumbnails

• 4849663-Cooling Fan Final.jpg

#891 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western, MD.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

-drl

Definitely!

It's been a little over a year since the scope has been restored and put back to use. Here are some things I've done since to improve its performance.

First, the 10 10-pound counterweights have been replaced with 4 25-pound counterweights. Still Olympic sized Barbell weights, they work out well. The 4 25-pound weights are less thick than the 10 10-pound weights allowing for more travel on the Dec Shaft.

Dan whats that Cave all polished and shiney in the back ground? You been holding out a project on us? :question:

#892 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Here it is ready to go! You can see three silver painted circles on the ground near the castor wheels that I use to align it up close enough for imaging with the Phillips web cam. I usually have no problems rolling it out of the garage onto the driveway, but it's great when my Wife helps me push it back up the slight incline back into the garage at the end of the night.

On the ground is my Variable Frequency Dual Axis Drive Control, which is also kinda old and all 3 of my Caves and the Maynard Clark are wired to work with it.

This setup only takes about a minute to take up or put down. 5 minutes if I take my time :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 4849674-Ready to Go.jpg

#893 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

-drl

Definitely!

Dan whats that Cave all polished and shiney in the back ground? You been holding out a project on us? :question:

Gerald, that is the Maynard Clark. It is has Cave Legs and a Cave Column, but everything else was made by Mr. Clark. It is very shiny! Progress on it has been kinda slow, mostly my bad, but it's going to pick up and be finished very soon!

#894 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• Loc: Florida

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

I just went to the first post and copied the original picture. Then copied the last picture. A perfect before and after comparison showing what skill and passion can accomplish. Yes I'm totally impressed. Bill

#895 boondoggle

boondoggle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

I didn't read all 45 pages (yet) but after skipping through most of this tale, it's one of the coolest things I've ever read on the internet. Excellent work Dan!

#896 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

This just in, Film at 11! :ooo:

#897 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

(It took a while to write this)
As you may recall, back in October I noticed the "Warren Estes" written in cursive on the back of the mirror. I sent some feelers out and pretty much thought that nothing would become of that.

Well, yesterday, I received a mysterious PM here on Cloudy Nights. The subject was "Cave Astrola - Warren Estes" And in the message, all it said was "I have some information on this telescope and Warren Estes. I was married to him."

This was too much! I replied back with interest and she said she would write more the next day (today). Talk about waiting for Christmas! I told her more about the "Horsetrail Cave" and pointed her to this very thread, which she has already gone through as I write this.

Warren Estes met his future wife in 1977 and they were shortly engaged and then married. Sadly, only 10 months later, Warren died of an aneurysm. She writes that back then, he was working on a few made for TV movies and after they met, he was off to Panama for 5 weeks and after he returned, they married. She was an amateur Astronomer and recalls Warren and his Dad working on this Cave - it was not new when Warren got it and he already had it before she met him. I bet the unusal finderscope is Warren's own handicraft of making something out of anything.

Anyway, Warren and family all lived in Riverside, but after the marriage, she and Warren moved to Joshua Tree. Warren's father died just before the wedding and she never got to know him well. Warren had telescopes at the Joshua Tree house, but this telescope (the Horsetrail Cave) was kept at his parents' house. When Warren passed away, this telescope remained with his mother and not much is known after this point. Warren's wife later married again. His mother sold everything and moved to Colorado. The telescope may have been sold to someone in the Riverside Astronomical Society, maybe McGrath? Nobody knows now but that can always change, you know!

I'm very grateful to find out a lot more about this, and hope to find out what went on with it before Warren Estes owned it and what happened to it later, up until the time it was found dumped on that horse trail.

I end this with a quote on a little history from her as she tells me...

"Warren loved that telescope...I remember many evenings when some of his friends would stop by and we'd 'play' with it. That was such a long time ago. Warren was probably the smartest man I ever knew, very eccentric, but brilliant."

#898 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

That's neat, Dan!

-Tim.

#899 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Wow! Well, I'd like to think that Mr. Estes had a hand in getting it to where it is now and would be very happy with the results.

#900 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western, MD.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

I guarantee Mr Estes is smiling down on you Dan for saving his beloved Cave. :bow: Nice work. :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics