•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The skyX Pro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#126 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

BTW, people who were waiting on this update before upgrading might want to hurry to take advantage of the special promotion for the upgrade to TSX - it ends on 9/30.

#127 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Let's say the software is now bug Free, and all promised functionality is now in place.

I think TheSky6 owners still need to pause and think about the value of the upgrade.

#128 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Scott, please explain camera use with X Pro. I use CCDsoft for imaging exclusively ... Maxim 5 is too complicated for me. So my camera is connected to CCDsoft - why would I connect it to The Sky?

Another thing I've always had trouble with is Image Link. Even in TS6, I never figured it out. Thanks for any help.

#129 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

I think TheSky6 owners still need to pause and think about the value of the upgrade.

For what it's worth, I like TSX much, much better than TS6. TheSky6 is a slide-show. It's not very interactive at all, and I found that when using it, if there were some other program to do a job, I tended to use that program because it was so painful to do stuff in TS6 because it was so slow. (This assumes your computer is powerful enough to handle TSX - some older systems just won't be able to.) The single-threaded TS6 was also annoying when you attempted to do anything that takes a while to complete - you are locked out of the program until it finishes. TSX is multi-threaded so that type of thing doesn't happen really.

I also think that the integration of the tpoint, dome, telescope and camera (eventually) addons makes the system much easier to use than TS6 + TPOINT + Automadome + CCDSoft.

I'm particularly happy about the dome addon. Using it my dome typically rotates to the target faster than my scope can slew there.

#130 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

Paul --

I use the TheSkyX and MaxIm DL 5 together, along with CCDNavigator 2. It's just a great joy to be able to plan in CCDNavigator 2, look for the objects in TheSkyX, use the FOV indicators in TheSkyX to find out what the object will look like with which camera, and switch to MaxIm DL 5 to do my work. I look forward to the future addition of rotator control in the TheSkyX...

I am also working on getting a system going to plan and schedule automated night runs using CCDAutoPilot 4 so that I can do other things instead of babysitting. That requires both TheSkyX and Maxim DL 5 working in tandem.

I agree that TheSkyX is a much better app. The next generation in planetarium software, if you will. I have had no problems running it with my AP mounts and SBIG cameras (externally with MaxIm DL 5) whatsoever. An added note, I use DC3's PinPoint astrometric software for plate solving.

Clear skies!!!

#131 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Scott, please explain camera use with X Pro. I use CCDsoft for imaging exclusively ... Maxim 5 is too complicated for me. So my camera is connected to CCDsoft - why would I connect it to The Sky?

Another thing I've always had trouble with is Image Link. Even in TS6, I never figured it out. Thanks for any help.

Hi Paul, sorry, I almost missed your reply.

CCDSoft works fine with TSX. There is a camera applet in TSXPro that interfaces between CCDSoft and TSX, allowing TSX to talk to CCDSoft and run the camera if needed. (An example of when it might need to do this is during an automated tpoint mapping run.)

Eventually the camera app in TSX will replace CCDSoft. Currently it doesn't have all of ccdsoft's functionality. It has a ways to go, although for simple stuff, like automated mapping with an SBIG camera, it works fine.

Image link / plate solves are substantially better in TSX. I have been able to make them work in TS6, but I've often had difficulty with them. TSX does a MUCH better job of this, at least for me. Although I haven't tried it, I think that plate solves where the scale / rotation angle are unknown are better in TSX. I always enter the scale since I know it - I came across a bug in TSX because of that, which is why I think solves with an unknown scale are better than they used to be - SB couldn't repro my bug at first because they didn't enter the scale.

#132 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

No argument here. I like TSX better too - when I use it. I just do not use a planetarium application much except during imaging planning.

Some mention has been made of CCDWare products. They are all good programs. I own them all. But none of them force the upgrade to TSX. Neither do any DC-3 Dream products (ACP, etc).

I'm only suggesting pause for thought...That mine mean drinking a cold one before you pull out your wallet :)

For what it's worth, I like TSX much, much better than TS6. TheSky6 is a slide-show. It's not very interactive at all, and I found that when using it, if there were some other program to do a job, I tended to use that program because it was so painful to do stuff in TS6 because it was so slow. (This assumes your computer is powerful enough to handle TSX - some older systems just won't be able to.) The single-threaded TS6 was also annoying when you attempted to do anything that takes a while to complete - you are locked out of the program until it finishes. TSX is multi-threaded so that type of thing doesn't happen really.

I also think that the integration of the tpoint, dome, telescope and camera (eventually) addons makes the system much easier to use than TS6 + TPOINT + Automadome + CCDSoft.

I'm particularly happy about the dome addon. Using it my dome typically rotates to the target faster than my scope can slew there.

#133 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:56 AM

I hear ya, John! But, I have always been a sucker for prettier pictures... ;)

Clear skies!

#134 astro.dave

astro.dave

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Is there an updated ASCOM driver that I need to install before I can use TheSkyX Pro with Maxim/DL (I would presume it would be supplied with TheSkyX - so I just need to copy it somewhere)? Under telescope control it only let me choose TheySky6 or earlier versions. For some reason TheSky6 isn't including 103P/Hartley 2 in the list of observable comets (makes you wonder...).

#135 Harry3376

Harry3376

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

hello

i need help

can anyone tell me what the name is for the ccdsoft's Camera driver in theskyx.

i have expirience with it and i have lost the name by stupid deleting it.:foreheadslap: i have no idea more what it is. :confused:

TheskyX/Resources/Common/Miscellaneous Files/Cameralist.txt

please help me, i cant no more making images with theskyx and ccdsoft.

#136 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

1|Software Bisque|CCDSoft's Camera||CCDSoft's Camera|CCDSoftCamera|

The above is the line from cameralist.txt

#137 Harry3376

Harry3376

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

thank many, this helps. :jump:

#138 WhistleStop

WhistleStop

Apollo

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

This weekend I downloaded TSX as an upgrade from my TS6...wow I love this new product. What prompted my upgrade was the news from FLI that they are writing a camera driver for TSX that will allow me to use the RBI fuction in my ML8300 camera which until now was only available in MaximDL. Since I have been using CCDSoft and TS6 it was a great opportunity to get this added feature by simply upgrading to TSX and buying the $99 Camera add on. Note however that the driver will not be available until early 2011 but will be included in updates.
The TSX seems like a very nice piece of work...thanks SB !
Cheers
Lynn

#139 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

I bought and customized TSX-SAE last weekend and think it's the best planetarium program out there. The one thing I love about Voyager is the descriptions of a lot of the stars/nebulae/clusters. I learned a lot with that program. I wish TSX had more of that kind of info but I can live without it. I did have to get a refund for TSX since I wanted a Sky Fi but will re purchase it next Spring when I get a new laptop.

#140 roystarman

roystarman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have a friend who uses the TeleAPI.dll and it worked in the older version of SKY X. version 10.1.9 broke it again. I noted that there was a change invariable declration from boolean to Integer. Did this break the old TELEAPI.dll?

#141 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Upcoming change to TSX Pro 10.1.10 - they are adding java script support (with a built-in script debugger) to the app, so you can script on either windows or mac, locally or remotely. I think this is just awesome!

#142 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm getting closer.

#143 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

OK I finally succumbed to the dark side and purchased TheSkyX Pro. I was going to say I am disappointed, but that wouldn't be quite right, but I will say am not impressed..yet. Maybe I will be when I use it more and learn it, but right now I am not.

I think part of the issue is I don't like the new interface. Some of that is as I said I have to learn it, but there are things I'll never like. One is the fly out side menus. This is one of the reason I never really cared for SNP6.

I also have not gotten everything setup up yet, and I haven't tried any scripting stuff, but I have already found some things I need to solve. One of them concerns the connection the TheSky after the PME is first powered on. With TS6 I was able to force the Paramount ME to do a home on connect. That sequence is crucial is my automated start up routine. I have yet to figure out how to do that with TSX.

The good news is TS6 and TSX seem to peacefully co-exist without any issues so that will allow me to test drive it while still using the TS6.

#144 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Ranger 4

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Marcus, I believe the "Human Interface" of TSX probably presents the greatest change shock. It took me about 20 hours of play time to weed out settings, controls and operational expectations. I was not happy at all and questioned moving from TS6 and was on the fence with continued using it. Additionally I was learning the Gemini system so frustrations were high. But I stuck with it and became more comfortable with it as time went by.

Last week I was helping a friend with his new focuser, and he asked for help with FOVI's (he's running TS6). Certainly both releases are similar related FOVI's, but I had to "re-learn" TS6's access steps and in doing so thought that TSX was much more direct. Guess that means I'm getting used to TSX!

Best of luck with it and enjoy!

Jerry

#145 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Marcus, I believe the "Human Interface" of TSX probably presents the greatest change shock.

Jerry I agree. I realized last night that I have had years to play with TS6 and tweak it that way I needed.

In my case I am not sure TSX is worth the all the effort and $$ for whatever new features it has, seeing the TS6 works and does all the stuff I currently need. But as minimum exploring TSX has rekindled my insterest in the obs as an automation project.

#146 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

Marcus --

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an HD monitor, if you haven't done so already... ;)

Clear skies!

#147 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an HD monitor, if you haven't done so already... ;)

Quoted for truth. The bisque brothers like big screens as best I can tell. The monitor in my observatory does 1600x1200, which I thought was total overkill. Nope, not with TSX - I'm kinda wishing I'd gone for a bigger screen now... :shocked:

The UI isn't great on small screens. For a variety of reasons this isn't a perfect choice for a netbook.

#148 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

I spend almost no time in the obs. I am a remote user. My obs computer doesn't even support OpenGL. So any of the OGL feature aren't there. I read that even if it did TSX doesn't support OpenGL over Remote Desktop, which is how I use the system 90% of the time.

In any case I don't care about all the "eye candy" stuff. Those are not the kind of new features I am looking for, but just for giggles I'll run TSX on a PC in the house connected to the 27" HD monitor just so I can see what all the fuss is about.

#149 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

FYI... TheSkyX does work over RDP...

Clear skies!

#150 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

I know TSX works over RDT, it is the Open GL part I am asking about. I am using an XP Pro machine and RDT.

Are you saying the OpenGL stuff works over RDT with XP-Pro? My OBS computer does not support OpenGL and if OpenGL won't run over RDT there is no point in me upgrading my video card, as I am a remote user.

This is what Software Bisque's says about XP Pro and RDT.
"TheSkyX can be run on a computer that does not have, or cannot support OpenGL 1.5 or later. For example, video driver software that supports OpenGL 1.5 or later for older video hardware simply may not exist. Or, some remote control applications, such as Windows XP Pro’s Remote Desktop, cannot run applications that use OpenGL graphics acceleration."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics