•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX 125PE Vs Celestron 5i

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nivam

Nivam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:01 AM

Hello the question originnaly posted in "Equipment" discussion so I have been advised to repost here.

Im considering buying one of these little wonders mostly for portability reasons. Which of these in your opinion is better (features, built, optics quality etc.)?

Thank you
Nikolas

Original Post:
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#2 Blue S2

Blue S2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

I am actually looking at one of these two right now as well and am very curious what others think. I decided an 8" just wont serve my needs well now. Especially in my perpetually light polluted area. And i don't get to travel.

I still need to use my Canon G2 for photography until i can get a DSI-pro. I've always used counterweights. WOuld the Nexstar 5i be able to hold a medium sized camera and counter weights with no problem on only one fork???

Also, i heard the Nexstar 5i has to be turned on and moved with the controller only. You can't physically turn the unit or move the tube if its not on??? I know the ETX has locks which allow you to manually work the telescope. Can someone clarify this about the 5i ??

I noticed the 5i also has an f/6 focal reducer available. Would using that as part of my photography setup be superior to using the CAT at f/10 or even the ETX at f/15 ???

Thanks in advance for any help with these.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics