•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kowa HighLander 32x82 FL or Miyauchi 26x100 FL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:34 AM

Recently I had the pleasure of looking through Milt W's. Kowa HighLander 32x82 fluorite binocular. It gives simply outstanding images, a nice wide field, good eye relief, etc.

I've looked through a Miyauchi semi-apo. It was very nice but the apparent field is relatively small. The CA was not bad, but not APO.

I've been thinking of getting a nice, good sized binocular. The fluorite Miyauchi and KOWA are close in price, The Miyauchi has a larger aperture. But, after reading a report on CN about the Miyauchi and having looked through the KOWA, I'm leaning toward the KOWA 32x 82 fluorite.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Rich
ps I thought Milt posted a report to CN about the KOWA. I don't see it.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

I would go with the Kowa bins. I have not used either one of them, but based on the reviews and commentary, I would definitely go with the Kowa.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

ps I thought Milt posted a report to CN about the KOWA. I don't see it.

Here you go:

http://www.cloudynig...eviews/kowa.htm

#4 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:21 AM

Thanks very much for the link, David!

I was amazed by the image quality in Milt's Kowa. The images were absolutely outstanding.

All the best,
Rich

#5 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:29 AM

I have a miyauchi 20x100 florite with 37x ep and it is a very good pair of binoculars that I use for a travel scope.
The views are very sharp, but some color on bright objects (not really APO). The binoculars are MUCH better than the negative press on the internet. I have never seen the kowa but understand that they are reportly very, very good.

Are you willing to lose 18mm appature for better optics?

EdJones

#6 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:53 AM

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for your comments on the Miyauchi 100mm fluorite.

I think the answer to your question is, yes.

The view of Jupiter through Milt's HighLander was amazing. I couldn't believe I was looking through a binocular. There was no hint of false color. The image had excellent contrast. It was like looking through my AP 155EDF I was using that night.

Thanks again,
Rich

#7 Carsten Doehring

Carsten Doehring

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:19 AM

Rich,

I have never looked through the 100mm Miyauchi, but Markus Ludes has had more than his share... His comments on a German forum (something like "see more stars and see deeper in the KOWA's than in the 100 mm Miyauchi" - but can not remember exactly) convinced me to go for the KOWAs. I have not been disappointed.

The more I use them the more fond I become of them! Recently spent 3 hours in the early morning scanning through Scorpius and Sagittarius - unbelievable! Of course I have seen all the objects through larger instruments before - but the Kowas are such a joy to use! Effortlessly, you find all the objects (plus some you did not look for, but need to identify in the star atlas). Contrary to Milt, I do not find anything objectionable about the optics (I see the faults he describes, but only when I search for them. They never bother me).
The 21x eyepieces are a bit bulky for the shape of my face though. Not really comfortable... But my IPD is quite narrow, so it might not bother other users.

Carsten

#8 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

Thanks very much, Carsten!

I'm sure Markus knows his optics.

I'm going to have another look through Milt's Kowa tonight. There is a public star party at one of our moderately dark sky sites.

I agree the views through the 32x eyepieces were amazing. The edge was maybe a little soft but it didn't bother me. The image quality in the central part of the field is excellent. I was very much surprised at the number of small stars I could see in M67.

Thanks again for your report!

Rich

#9 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

I thought Milt posted a report to CN about the KOWA. I don't see it.

No wonder Rich couldn't find it; now I can't find it either. It seems to have become "lost in the eather" since the new format was introduced. I have notified Allister.

I wanted to share my most memorable observation with the Kowa to date - even better than capturing a mag 12.65 star. At a star party Rich & I attended, another friend was viewing Jupiter at about 100x in his 10" Dob and announced that a moon was beginning to grow out of the limb. I immediately looked in the Highlander at 32x and told him exactly where it was!

No, they're not perfect, but on axis I have to go along with Markus Ludes' restrained praise. ;)

#10 Carsten Doehring

Carsten Doehring

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

Just use the link in the ARTICLE DISCUSSIONS forum

or the following:

KOWA HIGHLANDER SHOOTOUT

Milt, I got a pair of Leica Ultravid 12x50 recently - very sweet!

Carsten

#11 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

Just use the link in the ARTICLE DISCUSSIONS forum

Hi Carsten,

I suspect Rich's frustration, and now mine, is that one cannot go to the CN reviews menu, select binoculars and under that 80mm-90mm, and find it. It was there before the changes to the website. Gripe gripe.

Congratulations on the new Leica. I was very impressed with the images in Rich's 12x50 but found it a bit heavy to handhold (don't know if it was the same Leica model). I have found it difficult to exploit the capability of high quality optics without having the image dead still, which was easier for me to achieve with Rich's 12x50 Nikon. Still, my vote was for the Leica provided it could be mounted on a lightweight tripod.

Take care,
Milt

#12 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:24 AM

I feel very lucky to have been able to look through Milt's Kowa HighLander on a couple of nights. Milt's HighLander is amazing. The moon of Jupiter was very close to the limb of Jupiter but it was clearly defined. I would have expected it to be almost lost in the glow from Jupiter... but there was no glow. There was a clean edge to Jupiter's disc, a very tiny black space and then the clean little image of the moon. Beautiful image quality.

Thanks again, Milt!

Rich

#13 Carsten Doehring

Carsten Doehring

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:17 AM

Milt,

I have got the Ultravid which is the new model, with a weight of just above 1000 g. I actually find that a bit of weight helps to hold them steady. My arms tire pretty quickly though when viewing at the zenith.

Tripod adapter for the Leica's is on its way!

Carsten

#14 John F

John F

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:44 AM

Carsten,

The Leica tripod adapter works great. Here is a picture of one that I use with my 12 x 50 Leica Ultravids.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 430307-LeicaOnMount.JPG

#15 Carsten Doehring

Carsten Doehring

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

John,

nice mount you have got there... My adapter will be used on a photo tripod for the time being.

Carsten

#16 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:18 AM

Hi John,

nice photo. I'd like to suggest you (and some other recent posters) create a member gallery and add this photo to your own personal gallery. then you can point the photo to appear in the binocular gallery. No memory limits in your own gallery, But here in the forum you need to reduce the memory to conform to guidelines. Under 60,000, sse sticky post at top. 30K to 40K seems to work just as well.

Thanks,

edz

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:02 AM

John, who made your p-mount and tripod? Looks great and well built.

#18 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:07 AM

The P-mount looks like a UA design.

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

Does it? "UA" does not immediately jump out at me when I look at John's photo.

#20 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

The center post looks like my Microstar's post only wider on the bottom. The part above it looks like the altitude bearing post with thumbscrew, also similar to my Microstar. The bino bracket looks like the UA multi-degrees of motion types. It appears to be a UA Sirius Unimount.

http://universalastr...sFujinon150.jpg

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Now that you linked that photo...yep, that's it. Boy, a Sirius p-mount for those little bins...

#22 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

John's mount is a Universal Astronomics Deluxe P mount made a few years ago. (Before Larry P offered the black anodize finish). The tripod is a Losmandy GM-8 tipod I believe. I like the fastening straps. Looks stronger than generic velcro....

Erik D

#23 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

I'd bet the ranch it's a UA Light Deluxe Unimount; it appears to be identical to mine with the exception of the ALT pivot height adjustment being a bit different. John's might be an earlier model.

Rich V

#24 milt

milt

Viking 1

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

I feel very lucky to have been able to look through Milt's Kowa HighLander on a couple of nights....Beautiful image quality.

Rich, Next time I'll have a look through yours. :) Your equipment was also an absolute treat to look through - thanks again.

Milt

#25 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:17 AM

Thank you, Milt!

I would love to have a look through your TEC 160 fluorite when it comes in.

All the best,
Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics