•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#1 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

(I hope that this falls under "heads-up" instead of under "spam".)

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released.

http://stellarium.org/
http://sourceforge.n...cts/stellarium/
http://launchpad.net/stellarium/

Version 0.10.5 was supposed to be a bug-fix release, cleaning the problems that plagued the rushed 0.10.3 and the incomplete "fix" 0.10.4, but a lot of new stuff crept in. For example, the new Saturn landscape will totally blow the minds of all fans of orange mist. ;)

I have a headache (the Windows build was an hour late after the release announcement because of me), so I'll just give a quick summary of the stuff the members of this forum are most probably interested in:

New in the Telescope Control plug-in:
  • A telescope can be slewed to the current centre of the screen with Alt+telescope number.
  • You can now use the "Slew telescope to" window to enter a pair of coordinates and slew a telescope to them.
  • The telescope configuration window has been changed a bit.
New in the Oculars plug-in:
  • Support for camera sensors - the plug-in can now display a rectangular overlay. Use Ctrl+Shift+[ and Ctrl+Shift+] to cycle through the defined sensors.
  • A Telrad circles overlay in the centre of the screen (press Ctrl+B, ocular mode must be switched off).
(Another way of adding Telrad circles is adding a virtual telescope and adding FOV indicators with the necessary values.)

Most of the changes in Stellarium itself has been bug fixes.

#2 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the notice! I'm grabbing it now. Hope it works better than 10.3 and 10.4. I had to rollback to 10.2 because of display issues with .3, and .4 would always reset my default location to Paris, France.

Edit. So far so good. Runs great and it remembers my custom default location!

#3 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi I saw this listed over at http://fileforum.betanews.com/ .I DL it but have question, I have a old version of TheSky-IV would this have any advantages over it in either features or visual graphic quality ?

#4 tjay

tjay

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Grabbing it now. Thanks for all the great work on Stellarium. People are constantly amazed when I show it to them and tell them it's free.

#5 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up and the great work on Stellarium!

Clear Skies!

#6 bkruschwitz

bkruschwitz

Mariner 2

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for this great update. One problem--it runs so fast now that I'm getting whiplash moving around the sky! But I'll get used to it.

Bob

#7 2ifbyC

2ifbyC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

OK, what's the secret to getting it to work? I have XP...

Downloaded it.
Ran install.
Fired it up.
Got message "Stellarium has encountered a problem and must close."
Rebooted, no good.
Went back to 0.10.3

#8 bkruschwitz

bkruschwitz

Mariner 2

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:53 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. I don't have a secret. I'm running 0.10.5 on XP, service pack 3, on a Vostro 1500 with 2gb ram. I loaded it over version 0.10.4 and it preserved my eyepieces, location, and other settings. It started without a reboot.

Bob

#9 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

OK, what's the secret to getting it to work? I have XP...

Could you please try the "Stellarium (no OpenGL2)" shortcut in Stellarium's Start menu folder? If it works, you can copy it on the desktop.

This applies to everyone - if you encounter font or graphics problems, try launching Stelalrium through this shortcut.

#10 2ifbyC

2ifbyC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

Could you please try the "Stellarium (no OpenGL2)" shortcut in Stellarium's Start menu folder? If it works, you can copy it on the desktop.

Bagged Star, BINGO! That worked. It loads faster than any other versions and it retained my config. Many thanks!

Could you explain the difference in that option?

Again, thanx! :bow:

#11 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

That shortcut is set to start stellarium.exe with the "--safe-mode" option. As the name suggests, it forces Stellarium to avoid using OpenGL 2. :)

OpenGL is an open standard for a 3D graphics programming interface. As the name suggests, OpenGL 2 is the newer version of the standard. Unfortunately, some older graphics cards don't support it, or the support is buggy (e.g. the card reports that it supports OpenGL2 feature X, but when feature X is called, it causes a crash). Things like these are generally fixed by updating the graphics card's drivers, but there are a lot of cards out there that are no longer supported by their manufacturer and the last driver version available for them doesn't support OpenGL2 very well.

Stellarium's graphic user interface is based on the Qt libraries. Qt tries to detect which version of OpenGL it should use and the default option is OpenGL 2. This causes problems if the graphics card's drivers don't implement the standard properly. So, in 0.10.4 was introduced the option to force Qt to use the older version of OpenGL. This required modifying the configuration file, which was not very user-friendly, so Matthew Gates came up with another solution.

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

But in version 0.10.5, the stars doesn't twinkle anymore! Is there any setting that I should set?

Regards,

Tommy

#13 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:16 AM

Dagger Stab: good stuff! I'll give the mac version a try at some point, the version I have already is pretty great though.

Is there any likelihood of an iphone/ipad version in the near future? I saw that there's a port of QT being made, no idea how far along it is though or what the app store rule changes might imply for it for 4.0 (I guess a UI library is OK, QT doesn't do any interpreting so far as I know).

#14 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

But in version 0.10.5, the stars doesn't twinkle anymore! Is there any setting that I should set?

Some people have been complaining that stars shouldn't twinkle when the atmosphere is turned off, so Fabien tied the twinkle to the atmosphere. :)

Twinkle settings are in the Sky and viewing options window (press F4), the Stars box on the Sky tab.

#15 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

Dagger Stab: good stuff!

It's "Daggerstab", one word only. :)

Is there any likelihood of an iphone/ipad version in the near future? I saw that there's a port of QT being made, no idea how far along it is though or what the app store rule changes might imply for it for 4.0 (I guess a UI library is OK, QT doesn't do any interpreting so far as I know).

In the near future (the rest of this year): highly unlikely, at least for an official port. I'm not sure even if any of the current developers owns an iPhone/iPad. :) When Fabien Chéreau's port (of Stellarium) for Nokia N900 is finished, it may be able to run on any MeeGo-based device, such as this Intel tablet. The Moorestown "system-on-a-chip" supports OpenGL ES (and even "regular" OpenGL), and MeeGo is basically Linux with a Qt graphical interface on top.

#16 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

Runs just fine on my 5 year old Dell desktop Pentium 4 -- XP service pack 3. It has an OLD Nvidia MX graphics card and 512 meg memory!!

and on my Acer One netbook running XP service pack 3 with 1 gig memory. !

#17 Pegdragger

Pegdragger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Wow, new version runs great! Awesome job Mr. Daggerstab, stellarium is a great product.

#18 Zoomster

Zoomster

Vendor - Clear Sky Adventures

• Vendors

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

I love the telescope interface, I am using to control my telescope more and more. I love to zoom in, roam around an area, see something cool then CTRL 1 zoom we're off, and the accuracy is fantastic. Many many thanks Stellarium crew

#19 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi I saw this listed over at http://fileforum.betanews.com/ .I DL it but have question, I have a old version of TheSky-IV would this have any advantages over it in either features or visual graphic quality ?

To answer my own question this is a graphical improvement over thesky4 IMO and so far seems to do about same things (haven't tried the plug-in yet . So far looks very good ,have to use it bit more to get good feel for it but so far I think will use it as my default program .
Runs smooth too on my old Dell/XP SP3. Cuo2 2.14/2gig mem, 7900gtx .

#20 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I tried it. Took 46% CPU time and never came up. :( Uninstalled and went back to 10.3. I also tried 10.4, and it was just nuts. Object Labels and object data were unreadable.... Must be something "wrong" with my Dell Inspirion 1521 Dual-Core AMD Turion.... Wondering how it will work on my dual-core desktop.... :confused:

#21 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Cliff, try to first UNINSTALL completely all old versions, reboot the machine and then try a "clean" install of the new version.

It runs on my computer at my business which is a duel core Intel processor, about 2 years old. (hum?)

#22 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Did you try the "no OpenGL2" option? Have you updated your graphics card's drivers recently?

#23 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Joe:

I used the "no OpenGL" short cut and it works fine. I just installed it on my desktop as well. The desktop works using the default shortcut that uses OpenGL. Go figure....

One other anomoly I've noticed is on my laptop, Stellarium is not saving my settings (Equatorial Grid, Constellation Labels/Lines, etc.), but the desktop is... Hmmmmm....

Clear Skies....

#24 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I have/had same thing on saving, it saved my location ok but not other view options and config settings. What I did was use the save option in config, which saves view positioning and other settings too . IMO the default should save the view options by default, like eq lines meridian ,star/nebular settings etc

#25 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I figured it out. I used the "Sky and Viewing" options (F4) to get the display all set up with gird lines, labels and such. I closed that and then opened "Configuration" (F2) and clicked "Save Settings". :foreheadslap:

Now Stellarium opens facing North at the current system time and with grid lines, labels, and such.

I guess sometimes you just need to tweak the "operator's head spacing" just a tad....

I do have a question about the Occular plug in.

It seems to work in that the FOV and calculated magnification change as I toggle through my list of EPs, but the object magnification does not appear to change.

Is this something the plug-in's author needs to address?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics