•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#26 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

I figured it out. I used the "Sky and Viewing" options (F4) to get the display all set up with gird lines, labels and such. I closed that and then opened "Configuration" (F2) and clicked "Save Settings". :foreheadslap:

Now Stellarium opens facing North at the current system time and with grid lines, labels, and such.

I guess sometimes you just need to tweak the "operator's head spacing" just a tad....

I do have a question about the Occular plug in.

It seems to work in that the FOV and calculated magnification change as I toggle through my list of EPs, but the object magnification does not appear to change.

Is this something the plug-in's author needs to address?

I have same question on Ocular plug in , I add new telescope data but it seems to always default to top of the list (EP#1, Telescope C1400 ) .
Might want to add a simple lined FOV for various EP/sensors, just red outline against sky .This way you can see how object fits against different EP/sensors etc .

#27 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I figured it out. I used the "Sky and Viewing" options (F4) to get the display all set up with gird lines, labels and such. I closed that and then opened "Configuration" (F2) and clicked "Save Settings". :foreheadslap:

Now Stellarium opens facing North at the current system time and with grid lines, labels, and such.

I guess sometimes you just need to tweak the "operator's head spacing" just a tad....

I do have a question about the Occular plug in.

It seems to work in that the FOV and calculated magnification change as I toggle through my list of EPs, but the object magnification does not appear to change.

Is this something the plug-in's author needs to address?

I have same question on Ocular plug in , I add new telescope data but it seems to always default to top of the list (EP#1, Telescope C1400 ) .
Might want to add a simple lined FOV for various EP/sensors, just red outline against sky .This way you can see how object fits against different EP/sensors etc .

Ok, figured it out, switching EP is Ctrl+] and Shift+] for switch scopes in list .

#28 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

For the last couple of releases I've had a problem that I was hoping this new version would fix, but it doesn't. When I first open Stellarium I can't zoom in or out. I've tried with the mouse wheel, and with keys. If I open the Ocular view, run the mouse wheel back and forth a couple of times (which does nothing) and close the Ocular view, then I can zoom in and out.

Anyone else see this? Any solution?

#29 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

For the last couple of releases I've had a problem that I was hoping this new version would fix, but it doesn't. When I first open Stellarium I can't zoom in or out. I've tried with the mouse wheel, and with keys. If I open the Ocular view, run the mouse wheel back and forth a couple of times (which does nothing) and close the Ocular view, then I can zoom in and out.

Anyone else see this? Any solution?

works fine here .
What about key board "page-up/page-down" keys ?
check your config.ini and see if options for zoom an mouse look ok .

#30 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

page up/down don't work either. The mouse scroll is set correctly. I discovered the "ocular fix" by accident, and just do it now out of habit. But, I retested it this morning on the new release, and I still can't zoom without going through the ocular workaround.

This worked fine in 0.10.2 or so. It's only been the last couple of releases that it's happened on for me.

#31 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

I tried the no OpenGL shortcut and it does the same thing. Also, I can't move the screen around either....just noticed that. I have to use the search to find something not on the screen, or go through the ocular workaround. It doesn't seem to recognize the mouse movement beyond just selecting something in view.

#32 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

I tried the no OpenGL shortcut and it does the same thing. Also, I can't move the screen around either....just noticed that. I have to use the search to find something not on the screen, or go through the ocular workaround. It doesn't seem to recognize the mouse movement beyond just selecting something in view.

look in the config.ini at this path "X:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Stellarium " .
Where X is your drive, like C:\ and your name is system logon name .

open in notepad and look at these lines . here mine under navigation section .

[navigation]
auto_move_duration = 1.4
auto_zoom_out_resets_direction = false
flag_enable_mouse_navigation = true
flag_enable_move_keys = true
flag_enable_zoom_keys = true
flag_manual_zoom = false
init_fov = 52.967873765105
init_view_pos = 0.938422,0.0100674,0.345346
mouse_zoom = 10
move_speed = 0.0004
preset_sky_time = 2451514.25001157
startup_time_mode = actual
viewing_mode = horizon
zoom_speed = 0.00035

PS: you may have to set enable "show hidden files and folders" in folder option or unhide application data folder under properties, if you can't see it

#33 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

I'm on Win7 so had to track the file down. Fortunately there is a shortcut to the config.ini from the Stellarium start menu.

And......it was broken. I'm not sure how/when but these two were set to false:

flag_enable_mouse_navigation
flag_enable_zoom_keys

I set them to true, and it's working now. So, why did going through the Ocular plugin turn them back on temporarily?

#34 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

who knows ,you found a workaround to the disabled options, probably the format of the config.ini changed over time and that caused it to get messed up with different versions .
Files sometimes don't get removed (especially ones user edits ) so even a uninstall doesn't remove these left overs . At least that my experience with many app .

This seems very stable on my system and so far everything seems to work ok for me expect the sensor options . I didn't see keystrokes mentioned to toggle/cycle through CCD sensors like how oculars and scopes does .

#35 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

The CCD key bindings are Ctrl+Shift+[ and Ctrl+Shift+]. It seems that the developer has forgotten to put them in the Help tab.

#36 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

The CCD key bindings are Ctrl+Shift+[ and Ctrl+Shift+]. It seems that the developer has forgotten to put them in the Help tab.

Thanks, I looked all over user.pdf and help and couldn't find it. Duh , I now see you mentioned it in first post ! :)

#37 treaves

treaves

Vostok 1

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Is there any likelihood of an iphone/ipad version in the near future? I saw that there's a port of QT being made, no idea how far along it is though or what the app store rule changes might imply for it for 4.0 (I guess a UI library is OK, QT doesn't do any interpreting so far as I know).

Unfortuntly, no, it's not likely. Stellarium uses Qt from Nokia as a GUI toolkit, and this is not likely to ever be supported on the Apple mobile devices. Work has been done to separate out the UI from the application logic, but, a new GUI toolkit is a major amount of work.

#38 treaves

treaves

Vostok 1

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Sorry about that; I'll get that fixed right away. It won't be available until the next release, or we start putting up nightly builds.

On a related note, I've written code to allow editing all of the key bindings (not just those for Oculars), as it's hard on some international keyboards. The code is being reviewed, and should be in the next release.

#39 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I can't get the sensor rectangle to scale properly. It's too small. I have resolution, chip size and pixel size set correctly. Telescope focal length and diameter are set correctly.

Another thing I noticed is that the amount of "space" enclosed by the rectangle changes as I change the MS Windows window size.

#40 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Holy Hurrican, Batman! This version is fast on load up.

Maybe be folks @ Stellarium can talk to the folks @ Sky Chart so Sky Chart will load as fast.

Maybe it's my failing memory but back three version when you used Ocular I remember it would not only show the AFOV but also magnify the object, so it would look on screen ~ the way it would in real time; now it just gives the AFOV. Anyone?

I have not had a chance to interfacr the scope with this version but I suspect it will work just fine.

#41 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm wondering that myself. I noticed that when I toggle through my EPs, the FOV circle changes, but the size of the selected object does not, and that ain't right. Funny thing is, I can select an object and by using the Zoom function I can get a real close representation of what I see through my scope, minus the FOV circle of course. I'm just curious why the Ocular plug in doesnt' do the same thing.....

#42 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

In ocular config/general, disable "scale image circle" . see how that works now .

#43 treaves

treaves

Vostok 1

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

What you see with Oculars is dependent on many things. I have people reporting bugs for all sorts of reasons, with and without image circle scaling, but I'm fairly confident that it's working correctly. Without image circle scaling, things do indeed get bigger or smaller, and with image circle scaling, things do fill more or less of the image circle.

I had not tested the CCD code overly much, so there could be an issue there. I have changed the color of the bounding box to make it easier to see.

If anyone feels they have found a bug, please just let me know, including the data you are using. I investigate quickly. Same goes for feature requests or other suggestions.

#44 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

The Ocular plugin is working better for me with this release. Before, when I turned off scaling, all my EPs I had defined looked the same. Now I see differences. I like this view better now, as I can see how much more detail I can see as the EP fl gets shorter. Before, I just got a smaller and smaller circle, but no indication that I could actually see dimmer objects with more magnification.

I may still have some EP definition problems. I added a 5mm Ortho and the view for it is not that much different than my 40mm Plossl. Hmmmmm...I have the field stop set to 40 as that is what the FOV is, but on the other EPs I have 0. Changed the 5mm to a field stop of 0 and now there is a difference. So, maybe an explanation of the fields is in order.

Here is what I am using....

aFOV I use the manufactures FOV or the EP type FOV if I lack the manufacturers data.

Focal Length I think is obvious 5 for my 5mm, etc.

Field Stop I have as 0, though I tried setting it to the FOV. This might be the one I have incorrect. What do I set this to, and how do I determine it?

By the way....is there a way to reorder these. I'd like to go through the cycle of magnifications that I have on hand, but as I add new ones, they of course, go on the bottom.

#45 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

:foreheadslap:

I did not think of turning off scaling when I configured Ocular. Can you say Dauoooooo! Works like a dream now

#46 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

I installed Stellarium 0.10.4 and Kstars on my Lenovo S10 netbook running Ubuntu 10.04 and I liked Stellarium on this hardware running much better. What is missing though, is someting to record observation session. Kstars has this function.
I found a probosal to build it:
http://www.stellariu...ervation_Logger

Was there any work done in this area?

Alex

#47 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

I read the wiki on the ocular plugin and I think I have the EPs set correctly now, using 0 as the Field Stop. Just to make sure, the aFOV I have set to, for example, 52 for a Plossl, except for the longer ones, that I think are 44. Is this correct?

As I stated, the plugin is now working differently for me, so I'm much more satisfied.

#48 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

hi , I know its tough to represent what it looks like in EP especially with 82+ FOV types comparing with small FOV. But if you do compare the mag of a object (say star cluster) it seems to me the 40mm and 26mm EP show there image larger than they should, at least compared to other stock ones in list.
changing the image scale doesn't seem to change this either .

#49 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

I tried the ocular plugin with scaling on and off. No real difference. The FOV circle changes in size, but the image of the selected object (Saturn) does not change in size.

When I first heard about the ocular plugin my first thought was, "Wow, this should be way cool." However, (and this may be entirely on me), the plugin is not meeting my expectations, so I'm just gonna ignore it. The ocular plugin is a great idea, but it lacks in execution.

#50 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

Well being involved in software development it sometimes take many beta/RC to get things workings right, bugs always to be found . I think the basic's are there just either some data issue or bug .
It seems to me either the image circle data is off (compared to each EP listed, I haven't tried to add any EP ) or the EP focal length is not being read right. The image itself should scale to focal length then the AFOV/FOV should just fill in around it, how big/wide outer circle is .

Edit ,I see whats happening, the FL seems to set the image circle size, not the FOV. I am not sure this is best way, IMO I think FL should be image scale and FOV be image circle size.
here why ,
The 40mm FL 43deg FOV EP even though its a 40mm looking through this EP in real life is like looking through a straw compared to if it was 40mm@52deg FOV. I mean in my mind the higher FOV EP of the same FL just give wider view but object image is same size .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics