•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#76 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I'm hoping one of the Stellarium experts will come along, but in the mean time.....

I have a guess, and only because I had other gui issues....

Find C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium and open config.ini. Look for the [gui] section. Among other setting, I have:

flag_mouse_cursor_timeout = true
flag_show_flip_buttons = true
flag_show_nebulae_background_button = false
mouse_cursor_timeout = 10
selected_object_info = all

Try changing the timeout or the flag_mouse_cursor_timeout.

Did you install this version over an older version? If you did, you might try uninstalling it, and reinstalling it, which resets some of the ini files.

David

#77 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

It was a "clean install" on a relatively new computer (3 months).

It works PERFECTLY on a WinXPPro machine with SP3.

#78 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

What mouse/driver are you using? Are you using anything else that effects the mouse? I use WizMouse, which I used to have to turn off before I open Stellarium, but seems to be ok in the newer version. It would cause my pointer to stagger around on the screen.

#79 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

The Win7 machine has whatever drivers came on it from Dell. It matters not whether I use the on board touchpad, or and external mouse... Remember, the mouse seems to work, it's the cursor that disappears.

#80 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Just making sure you aren't using some strange drivers, though there is nothing to say the Dell default drivers couldn't be strange. On laptops, I've often encountered cases where two drivers, say the scroll pad, and a usb mouse, had drivers that fought with each other and caused major issues.

In any case, I'd try the .ini settings I mentioned. Those setting seem to be the amount of time before the cursor disappears. Mine is set to 10, but in checking it, that results in about 6 seconds. Of course, the cursor reappears as soon as I move it. I'd set that number higher or just set flag_mouse_cursor_timeout = false which looks like it would disable hiding the cursor. Stellarium might not be telling the driver the correct things to hide/unhide.

David

#81 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

I'm loving version 0.10.5, but I have one question. In the old version (pre-0.10, I think?) you could add additional textures, including an image of the Veil Nebula. Is this still possible in the newest version? I can't find any info about it on the Stellarium site.

#82 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Changed the .ini settings as recommended, still no visible cursor once the program opens. I obviously have mouse control because it'll bring up the hidden toolbars and highlight options on them, but no visible cursor.

#83 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I can't think of anything else to try. I'm surprised that none of the Stellarium experts have chimed in. I'd suggest opening a new post to see if it gets some attention. This one has grown quite long.

David

#84 jerryb1951

jerryb1951

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

i have several astronomy program i have purchased over the past few years but i find myself using stellarium the most
i really like it

#85 Micheal

Micheal

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

I love the telescope interface, I am using to control my telescope more and more. I love to zoom in, roam around an area, see something cool then CTRL 1 zoom we're off, and the accuracy is fantastic. Many many thanks Stellarium crew

I myself am having an issue with the slew accuracy when connected through the hand controller on my CGE-Pro. The object is just at the edge of my FoV and yet if I use the hand controller and manually enter the object and re-slew to it it is dead on center.

Is there a way to calibrate Stellarium with my mount?

#86 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Randy,

When I updated my graphics card driver (nvidia) yesterday while using stellarium-bzr I had the same issue on startup. You should uninstall stellarium, update your graphics card drivers (if you have one), reboot, then reinstall stellarium in that order. Works like a charm now.

On a side note, the bzr build has a few more features than the latest svn, but they both boot fast and work like a charm.

#87 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just wanna chime in and say THANK YOU to the Stellarium creators-what an awesome piece of software!
Ive used it for years and really appreciate it! Its the go to program for me when I wanna know what star im looking at, where something is, etc.

Thank you very much!

#88 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Stellarium is a great program for outreach, education, and for driving my scope for AP. I am very happy with its performence and the user interface is very easy to learn. However, I noticed that the program does not return results when I attempt to find objects from the IC catalog. Has anybody else noticed this?

#89 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

baconfreak:

Have you installed the updates available to the Stellarium object library? There's a button to press in the System Configuration menu (If I had it in front of me I could show you exactly where).

I think there's something like 8 or 9 updates, each of which adds a considerable amount of objects.

#90 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, Sean.

I previously installed the first 5 of the nine cactalogs. I thought they were just star catalogs and installing all of them might slow down the program, so I stopped after the 5th one. The program displays IC objects just like NGC and M objects, it just doesn't find them when I use the search feature.

If you have installed all 9 catalogs then maybe you can tell me: Does the program performance decrease at all comapred to how it ran before all of the catalogs were installed? If you search for an IC object does the program find it?

#91 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

I've updated the NVIDIA drivers, the mouse drivers, the BIOS, the network drivers, uninstalled, reinstalled Stellarium, played with the Config.ini, etc. It still does not show the cursor when the program is running. The cursor DOES show when I move it to a secondary monitor (I run dual monitors much of the time) so I know it's working. I've tried both with internal, external single and dual monitors. I've tried running it as administrator, with reduced graphics, etc.

NOTHING I've tried lets me see the cursor running Stellarium 0.10.5 on this Win7(64bit) machine. This is so frustrating, because I really enjoy the program (or did until this experience).

#92 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

baconfreak:

The extra catalogues won't slow down the program, but that of course that is dependent on your PC's hardware. I don't think it should have too much trouble with it unless it's seriously ancient.

About the IC Objects: I downloaded 7 of the 9 extras and I'm having the same issue. The Eagle Nebula, for example, will show up when 'eagle nebula' is entered as a search string, however it will not when 'IC 4703' is entered. Perhaps Stellarium just uses the NGC designations? I'm not sure. I'll probably end up downloading the last 2 star packs and I'll let you know if it will allow IC searches after that.

#93 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

b1gred:

Are you using the main release or a source build?

I haven't looked through the x64 Windows changelogs so I don't know if that was a bug or if it was fixed. If it still doesn't work after trying either the svn or bzr build you should submit a bug report. The devs would appreciate (and fix!) it.

#94 RobVG

RobVG

Viking 1

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

I downloaded and ran it last week. Over the evening things slowed down and it didn't want to respond.

First thing the next day, I got a BSoD- Fatal Error. I removed Stellarium and did a system restore and haven't had any problems since- except I'd like to run Stellarium.

I don't think it's a system requirements problem.

Ideas?

#95 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

baconfreak:

I just searched for an IC and it worked. When you type it in (eg IC 4756), wait a few seconds until it appears underneath the text box, then hit enter. Works fine!

I guess it just takes a few extra seconds to query the IC database.

#96 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

b1gred:

Are you using the main release or a source build?

I haven't looked through the x64 Windows changelogs so I don't know if that was a bug or if it was fixed. If it still doesn't work after trying either the svn or bzr build you should submit a bug report. The devs would appreciate (and fix!) it.

I've been using the download directly on the "stellarium site" by clicking on the "windows" option.

Do you have a link to an alternate option?

#97 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Found a resolution in "launchpad" on line while looking at bug reports.

First, I downloaded the newest "beta". "Stellarium 0.10.5 (BZR r4715)

In Win7 on some machines it has to be opened in "non-full screen" mode. To do this, you go into the config.ini and in the [video] section, change "full screen=true" to "full screen=false", save the file, launch the program and it works fine. Then you can maximize the screen and get nominal operation.

Here's the setup that worked:

[video]
fullscreen = false
horizontal_offset = 0
maximum_fps = 10000
minimum_fps = 18
screen_h = 1178
screen_w = 1600
vertical_offset = 0
viewport_effect = none

#98 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

b1gred:

Glad you got it figured out :)

I think the bzr build is a little better btw, so good choice.

#99 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

baconfreak:

I just searched for an IC and it worked. When you type it in (eg IC 4756), wait a few seconds until it appears underneath the text box, then hit enter. Works fine!

This worked for me also. Thanks for your help in finding a solution!

#100 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

The search feature allows you to find things that don't exist in Stellarium's databases due to the implicit search in the SIMBAD on-line database. If you search for something and find it, but it's not selected (there's no information in the upper left corner), it has been a result of the SIMBAD search - it returns only a pair of coordinates, even if the object exists in Stellarium under another name.
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics