•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#101 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Yes, now I see that you can search for IC & Sharpless objects, and others, as long as you have an internet connection. Is there a way to slew the telescope to the objects, even though they are not selected by Stellarium?

#102 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

Well, Stellarium centers the coordinates returned by the SIMBAD search, and the latest version of the Telescope Control plug-in allows you to slew to the current center of the screen (press Alt+number instead of Ctrl+number).

#103 baconfreak

baconfreak

Mariner 2

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thank you for the tip!

#104 RobVG

RobVG

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

I think I may have found the cause of the problems I was having with slow running and a crash.

I remembered my laptop's power management system is set to cut the processor speed when the battery power drops. I downloaded Stellarium again and ran it with the 'puter plugged in and it runs fine.

fwiw-

#105 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

Wow. I'm sorry I downloaded the new version! I had been using V 0.9.1 and it worked fine. But this version crashes every time I start it (within about 15 seconds). My config.ini file shows Fort Worth Texas, USA as the location and the coordinates are correct. But when I start the program, the banner at the bottom shows Paris France. Then the program crashes and I get a notification that Windows has detected a problem (duh!). This is followed by a message that the graphics driver had stopped working and has now recovered.

By the way, after I installed it the first time, I started the program and everything seemed to be working until I tried to set my location. Then it crashed. I subsequently uninstalled it, re-booted, and downloaded and installed it again. Before even trying it after the re-install, I checked the ini file and it indicated Fort Worth as the location (how did the new re-load know that?). I have tried both the normal icon and the no GL icon with the same frustrating result!

Help! I love Stellarium and I want it back!

#106 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

Skip,

It still showed Fort Worth because even when programs are uninstalled some files remain, especially personal configuration files (such as config.ini). Save config.ini as config.ini.bak (for backup) and delete the original. Then uninstall and try again from scratch. If the new one still doesn't work, downgrade to the newest version that still worked properly. What kind of graphics card do you have and what driver version are you using for it?

Don't worry, this can be fixed :)

#107 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I'm using the latest driver version for the Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family. I think it is sometimes abbreviated "igfx". It is version 7.14.10.1147. I'm running on a Gateway GT5404 desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I've got some errands to run, but I'll try your tip this afternoon when I get a chance.

Thanks,

#108 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

I have the same issue with the new version. It crashes within the first few seconds I get the Blue Screen of Death!! I have tried every previous version and none will run on my Toshiba laptop. I really like the program and it is a shame I can't get it to work.

#109 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Have you tried running it using the "No openGL2" icon in the Stellarium program folder?

#110 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Have you tried running it using the "No openGL2" icon in the Stellarium program folder?

What is that, I am computer-ignorant??

#111 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

Start-- Programs--- Stellarium---- No OpenGL2" icon(shortcut). Run it using that icon. If it works then send the icon to the desktop by right clicking it and selecting "send to desktop".

#112 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi Joe,

Assuming you were asking the question of both Stuart and myself, my answer is - yes, I have tried it with the NoOpenGL2 shortcut. The result was still the same. System crashed.

By the way, I tried to reinstall version 0.9.1 which I had been successfully using for over 2 years. I got the same result - a crash and the confused location indication. I suspected at that time that there was still a bad config.ini file lurking. After searching around for a bit, I found that for some reason, my computer installs the files in two folders, one of which is called "roaming". I have no idea why it does this. But I deleted all the files from that folder as well and reinstalled 0.9.1. Success!! Got my old version back working fine.

Now, I'm trying to get up the nerve to try uninstalling the old version and making sure EVERYTHING is gone and giving 0.10.5 another go. I think I'll like the interface of the new version better. But more than anything, I just want a working version of Stellarium!

QUESTION: I only have 1GB of RAM. Is that enough for the new version? The old one never gives me any problems with just the 1GB.

#113 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

Skip -

I don't know specifically, but my experience is that the new version uses resources much better. It open a LOT faster and runs better. I assume it is actually using less memory, too. The only issue has been with the video.

David

#114 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Start-- Programs--- Stellarium---- No OpenGL2" icon(shortcut). Run it using that icon. If it works then send the icon to the desktop by right clicking it and selecting "send to desktop".

I am sorry but I don't have anything like that. I see a file QtOpenGL4.dll but that is the only close thing I see.

#115 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

look under your program menu icons under Stellarium.
Not in the app folder .

Its using a switch on the exe ""C:\Program Files\Stellarium\stellarium.exe" --safe-mode"

Thats mine icon target properties of the shortcut for no OpenGL2 one .
note the switch -safe-mode on the end . You should have same shortcut in your start>programs>Stellarium menu .

#116 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

look under your program menu icons under Stellarium.
Not in the app folder .

Its using a switch on the exe ""C:\Program Files\Stellarium\stellarium.exe" --safe-mode"

Thats mine icon target properties of the shortcut for no OpenGL2 one .
note the switch -safe-mode on the end . You should have same shortcut in your start>programs>Stellarium menu .

Nope, nada, nothing. All that is there in the start>programs>stellarium is stellarium, uninstall stellarium, and config.ini.

#117 EdKiefer

EdKiefer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

ok, well make a new shortcut for Stellarium and in the target line add " --safe-mode" to the end like my example above. rename shortcut Stellarium (no OpenGL2) .Save and try it .
Your on win OS right ?

#118 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Yep, Win XP soon to be Win 7-64. I will have to try it when I get home.

My new laptop will be here Monday, I might not even have to worry about it on that one, but I would like to have it running.

#119 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

OK, I figured it out, tried it, and now my mouse/curser will not work. It has a serious delay and then it over runs where you try to point, and flashes, jerks, etc.when I have Stellarium open. It looks totally different also.

I had 10.2 installed so I uninstalled it, installed 10.5 and it now crashes every few seconds with a "paged_fault_in_non-paged_area" message.
Now what??

#120 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

GOT me? It runs using the No OpenGL2 on three different machines including a Vista machine and a AcerOne Netbook with 1 gig memory running XP.

BUT-- none of them are 64byte :question:

#121 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Stuart,

I've found the newer versions of Stellarium to be quite sophisticated in terms of hardware usage and may simply just be "too much" for an older machine. If you have any antivirus programs installed and running I suggest turning them off completely and trying Stellarium again. Check out the Processes tab in Task Manager to see what's using up your memory. Page faults happen when the computer is using too many resources and cannot allocate physical memory to open applications. Basically, it just runs out of gas. If you manage to get into the program try scaling back some of the features, but close whatever else is running in the background first.

When is the last time you reformatted that XP machine? If it's been a while, and you're experiencing a good number of crashes (Stellarium or otherwise), a reformat will almost always fix all your problems. Of course, it could be a hardware issue that is causing the problem, but the ultimate solution, for me at least, has always been wiping the hard drive clean and starting fresh.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting you have to reformat or anything, I'm just looking at the problem from an IT perspective. It'll all be rendered moot on Monday anyway when you get that Windows 7 laptop! :jump:

Also, I've never had any issues with the 64-bit version, so you'll be fine.

#122 Lovecraft1970

Lovecraft1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

I installed Stellarium 0.10.4 and Kstars on my Lenovo S10 netbook running Ubuntu 10.04 and I liked Stellarium on this hardware running much better.

Stellarium 0.10.5 seems to suit my needs perfectly (Ubuntu 10.04 and a Celestron 4 SE). I have used Stellarium for a few years; 0.10.5 seems very polished.

I'm thinking of getting a netbook to use only for observing sessions (I don't think my wife would let me use hers every time I go out).

#123 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Stuart,

I've found the newer versions of Stellarium to be quite sophisticated in terms of hardware usage and may simply just be "too much" for an older machine. If you have any antivirus programs installed and running I suggest turning them off completely and trying Stellarium again. Check out the Processes tab in Task Manager to see what's using up your memory. Page faults happen when the computer is using too many resources and cannot allocate physical memory to open applications. Basically, it just runs out of gas. If you manage to get into the program try scaling back some of the features, but close whatever else is running in the background first.

When is the last time you reformatted that XP machine? If it's been a while, and you're experiencing a good number of crashes (Stellarium or otherwise), a reformat will almost always fix all your problems. Of course, it could be a hardware issue that is causing the problem, but the ultimate solution, for me at least, has always been wiping the hard drive clean and starting fresh.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting you have to reformat or anything, I'm just looking at the problem from an IT perspective. It'll all be rendered moot on Monday anyway when you get that Windows 7 laptop! :jump:

Also, I've never had any issues with the 64-bit version, so you'll be fine.

With firefox only open, when I start Stellarium it pegs the cpu to 100% and stays at about 94% and about 786MB RAm being used. Last time I started it I got a blue screen with a "symevent error' message. With only firefox open I am using about 2% CPU and 753MB RAM. This machine has a PentM 740 (1.73GHz) and 2 GB RAM.

I have never formatted this maching, I refuse to do that. I hate to have to reinstall everything. I have had to do that several times on an old desktop, and It seems to never be the same. I have never installed an OP system, so that really scares me also.

#124 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

That processor was introduced in 2003. It is now 7 years old, so I assume the machine has been running now for 6-7 years.

Do you by chance have a video card installed? Most of the newer chips have some sort of on-board video on the chip. This might be your entire issue with running Stellarium, which is graphic intensive, no video acceleration of any kind on your computer. :question:

#125 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

That processor was introduced in 2003. It is now 7 years old, so I assume the machine has been running now for 6-7 years.

Do you by chance have a video card installed? Most of the newer chips have some sort of on-board video on the chip. This might be your entire issue with running Stellarium, which is graphic intensive, no video acceleration of any kind on your computer. :question:

It is a Satellite M45-S269, I assume the video is built into the m-board.It has the Intel Graphics Accelarator with a max graphics memory capacity of 128MB.And this........Mobile IntelĀ® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics