•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.10.5 has been released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#126 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Stuart -- did you try it yet on your new laptop?

#127 Bachus

Bachus

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Last night was the first time I gave Stellarium a try. I was trying to find something more of a "pre-planner" as to what's in the sky tonight thing.

I must say it's pretty impressive visually with simple functions to customization of settings. The simple "click & drag: with the mouse is ideal. The ability to drag your way around the landscape and sky is right there along with zooming in a matter of seconds.

I love the ability to customize your sky options with not just grid layout but overall information of objects from stars to nebula and planets. The "slider controls' in this one area is a real gem. If one stands out it's the so-called "light polution" index setting. You get a pretty darn realistic image of the sky based on the setting.

Right now I have on our newer pc, a HP Pavilion using the AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core with 4 GB of memory. I'll have to DL it for my older laptop I use in the field, a Dell Vostro that has a Intel 2 Duo T5470 1.6 gHz, 1 GB memory with a 128mb Nivida card.

My current choice is Cartes du Ciel with EQMOD, PHD Guiding. It's simple yet major informative. I like the button layout, targeting, night screen (Red) and it's easy use with EQMOD. I feel it has a step up when it comes to object information though.

It looks like a full week of louds ahead and I've got to repair one of my scopes. I do want to DL Stellarium and try the scope control.

#128 jbattleson

jbattleson

Happily Retired

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Maybe someone here can enlighten me a little.
I can run Stellariun 0.10.5 on my XP machine just fine.
When I put it on my Win 7 machine (quad core 2GB ram same as my XP machine) it runs slow and screen does not scroll smooth. They both have on board video chips but not the same one.
Do I need to add a video card?

#129 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Stuart -- did you try it yet on your new laptop?

Yes, it works flawless so far!! WooHoo!! (now I just got to get used to Win7!!) :foreheadslap:

#130 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Maybe someone here can enlighten me a little.
I can run Stellariun 0.10.5 on my XP machine just fine.
When I put it on my Win 7 machine (quad core 2GB ram same as my XP machine) it runs slow and screen does not scroll smooth. They both have on board video chips but not the same one.
Do I need to add a video card?

No, you need to go into the default_config.ini file and make a couple of changes, it should look like:

flag_show_flip_buttons = false
flag_show_nebulae_background_button = false
base_font_size = 14
base_font_name = DejaVuSans.ttf
mouse_cursor_timeout = 10
flag_mouse_cursor_timeout = false
day_key_mode = calendar
selected_object_info = all
auto_hide_horizontal_toolbar = true
auto_hide_vertical_toolbar = true

There was another setting I had to change here that is (it has to do with "full screen mode":

[video]
fullscreen = false
horizontal_offset = 0
maximum_fps = 10000
minimum_fps = 18
screen_h = 1178
screen_w = 1600
vertical_offset = 0
viewport_effect = none

#131 jbattleson

jbattleson

Happily Retired

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Randy,
Glad that is all there is to it.
Is that a ham call in your sig.?
John/WB0PEX

#132 sth

sth

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

You'll get used to it quick. My favorite feature has always been clicking the start button and typing the program name I want to open. Plus you can search dynamically from there, too. It's definitely a massive improvement over XP in terms of form and functionality.

Plus all the cool astro progs work great on it. What more could you ask for? :rainbow:

#133 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

On my old Windows XP Pro notebook, the new Stellrium runs way too slow. I will stick to my trusty TheSky 6

#134 Mason Dixon

Mason Dixon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

I'm getting horrible flicker using the latest version on a laptop core duo 2.0ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia geforce 8600m video card, win7 ultimate x64

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics