•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking of buying Oberwerks 20X80LWs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

These binocs only weigh 3.6 pounds while the 20X80 deluxe model weighs 7.75 pounds. Anyone own the LW version? Are you happy with them?

I do not really want to buy the heavier version as my present mount can not handle that weight.

Thanks.

Blair.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:08 PM

Also consider the 20x80 standard. It may be a better performer due to it's longer focal length. I think it weighs about 4.5#

The Oberwerk 20x80LW is made at the same factory as the Burgess 20x80LW, the only one in the Oberwerk line of binocs the same as another brand. Oberwerks are genrally reported to be fully multi-coated. No first hand experience with this model.

edz

#3 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2003 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, I didn't notice the standard version. I think my mount will handle them.

Blair.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 December 2003 - 02:48 AM

Yes, I would agree that the standards may be the best variant.

#5 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:57 AM

Blair,

Sounds llke you decided on the Standards. I've heard from other big bin afficiados that the Standards are better, and they have longer ER for eyeglass wearers. However, hand holding a 20X80 binocular is quite an amazing experience. I was skeptical, as I'm sure others were, when they heard this claim, but I bought a Burgess 20X80 LW, and braced against my car, I could handhold them for quite a whiile with minimal shakes. In fact, the cold got to me before arm fatigue.

The 70* apparent FOV gave me a picture window view of the sky, unlike my Obie 15X70, which feels like I'm peeping through a large hole. The contrast was not as good as the Obie, and from my light polluted skies, I need all the contrast I can get. The 15X70s also have better ER to accommodate my glasses, though the views in the Burgess without glasses were surprisingly good. The rubber eyecups on the Burgess are much more comfortable than the oversized flimsy eyecups on the Obie (which I replaced with narrower eyecups).

The other alternative for handheld views at 20X is the Pentax 20X60 PCF V (the newer WP version is a bit heavier). The 20X60 PCF V is one of the sharpest bins I've used, good ergonomics, and ample ER for eyeglass wearers. The small exit pupil (3mm) gave very nice contrast from light polluted skies, and provided the best view of the Double Cluster I've ever seen through a binocular. I could also separate the rings of Saturn from the planet, which I cannot do with the Burgess. However, I found the narrow FOV (2.2* TFOV, 44* AFOV) made it difficult to locate objects in the sky.

As anyone who's tried a number of bins can tell you, there are always trade-offs even with premium bins. It depends on what features are most important to you, and what trade-offs you can live with.

Brock

#6 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2003 - 07:51 PM

Brock, thanks for the info.

I haven't bought anything yet. Christmas put it on hold. Then I have Birthdays in Feb. I never planned to hand hold the 80s.

I did buy Celestron's 102mm f/5 refractor for $199 before money ran out. Will probably not buy 80mm binocs now.

I have 11X70, 9X63 and 8X56 binocs which is probably all I really need.

Happy New Year!

#7 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 27 December 2003 - 08:15 PM

But do you really WANT!? :lol:

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:39 AM

Blair,
The Pentax 20x60's have much better quality optics. I did alot of research on this and actually narrowed my choices between the Oberwerks 20x80 LW and the Pentax.
Pentax backs their products up with a limited lifetime warranty!
The (Camera Quality Aspherical Lens) makes the difference backed with seven super coatings that are state of the art and on all glass to air surfaces. These are fully multi-coated as are the Oberwerks but BETTER!

Hope that helps!
Ray A.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics